Dual Access Granny Flat

I have an existing property - it has dual street access. Houses on either side of the property are in line with the house.

My question is if I want to build a granny flat in the back so that it has its own street access - is this permissible? What are the things to look out for?

Attachments

• 20111323952pio17142012.jpg
    20111323952pio17142012.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 186
Only issue would be with the council cross over if you intend to have a driveway. If it is a "round" kerb where you can put a driveway anywhere as opposed to the square ones where you have to get council permission to cut into it.

Brazen once posted some details for GF rear lane access, including smaller setbacks than on other boundaries. Search for his posts from a few months ago.

I believe there is 0m rear set back if there is rear access lane, assuming you enter from the front access.

I would not it to be a problem access the rear for the granny flat. Even if its not allowed, what's there to stop you having granny flat tenant enter via the "rear garage"

Instead of going 60m2 under SEPP (most people go this because of the quick and easy approval), why not check with council allows dual occupancy on the block with rear access. Going dual occ thru council is slower but you can build more than 60m2, and having rear access you would achieve a higher rent.

I don't think there is anything in the sepp that says you cannot build a granny flat where it is rear lane access.

Two concerns are if it is truly a rear lane, then it would be one of the very few dwellings on the rear lane making it less attractive.

Other thing would be the numbering of the dwelling. I've added an extra "a" next the number for my granny flat, but they are accessed from the same street. Not sure how it would go if it used the rear lane and you faced the dwelling towards the rear lane (giving it own street frontage).

Thanks for the feedback guys. Council is Kuring gai. I have spent 3.5 years trying to get dual occ DA via various means so I have given up and decided to build a GF. Numbers should be ok though.

I don't think there is anything in the sepp that says you cannot build a granny flat where it is rear lane access.

Two concerns are if it is truly a rear lane, then it would be one of the very few dwellings on the rear lane making it less attractive.

Other thing would be the numbering of the dwelling. I've added an extra "a" next the number for my granny flat, but they are accessed from the same street. Not sure how it would go if it used the rear lane and you faced the dwelling towards the rear lane (giving it own street frontage).

The "back" street is actually a full blown street rather than a lane - my thinking is that my creating the separate entities it will create a strong sense of privacy rather than a battle-axe style granny.

The "back" street is actually a full blown street rather than a lane - my thinking is that my creating the separate entities it will create a strong sense of privacy rather than a battle-axe style granny.

100% agree with you on that point. Done right, separate entry can make it feel like the granny flat is a house and has always been there.

That said, still not sure about how the numbering would work.

Eg. Say your house is 50 Front St Hornsby
If you simply put an "A" would it be 50a Front St Hornsby, even though the letter box on Back St? Would the postman able to even find the letter box in that circumstance? Or would you simply take the nearest house number and put an "A" next to it (not sure how that neighbour would feel).

Maybe Serge (Brazen) could shed some light on this.

Hi TFS,

I'd definietly go rear access for the GF if your able.

Dual access would add value.

I have a block similiar to yours interstate and i intend to do the same sometime down the track.

Good luck and keep us up to date,

Cheers Spades.

Back or front?

Hi Spades

Where is your property? I have one in Brisbane (logan council) which also has dual street access. Maybe we can build together:D

Problem is the other rear road ,council will not permit another driveway to the granny flat....but i have seen a similar setup on the same street and the granny flat guy simply drives and parks on the grass :D

And of course one would build the granny flat facing the other road no?:p

Hi virgo,

Unfortunately?My prop is in melb,so we can't build lego :p

Good luck with 'parks on the grass' :)

Cheers Spades.

Hi Spades

Where is your property? I have one in Brisbane (logan council) which also has dual street access. Maybe we can build together:D

Problem is the other rear road ,council will not permit another driveway to the granny flat....but i have seen a similar setup on the same street and the granny flat guy simply drives and parks on the grass :D

And of course one would build the granny flat facing the other road no?:p

If the granny flat wasn't in the picture, can you apply to have a carport and accessed from the rear?

If yes, why not get that carport built first and then apply granny flat built? when its all complete, the carport and access from rear belongs to your granny flat tenant.

REAR LANE vs PARALLEL ROAD

The SEPP has different rules for "parallel" roads depending on the following:

1. A LANEWAY - must be used primarily for accessing garages/carports at the rear of properties. The 'name' of the street. e.g. Brown Street can still be a Laneway if it's use is primarily as stated.

2. A PARALLEL ROAD- is just a road opposite the primary road and it looks just like a normal street. The opposite side accesses the front of other properties.

SETBACKS:

1. LANEWAY: Can be zero if granny flat is not wider than 1/2 the block width.

2. PARRALEL ROAD: 3 mtrs.

This rule^^ was recently changed (on February 23rd 2014) insomuch as it used to be "no closer to a boundary fronting a Parallel Road than the setbacks of the nearest two dwellings" or something like that. perhaps this is where the OP had issues?

I hope this new (good) news brings you back into SEPP Compliance!
This would mean you can bypass Canada Bay and get a CDC Approved with a Private Certifier.

Brazen.

A bit late brazen but thanks for the above clarification. Its a parallel rd so sounds like its only a 3m setback.

Whats the setback for boundaries and distance from existing dwelling?

A bit late brazen but thanks for the above clarification. Its a parallel rd so sounds like its only a 3m setback.

Whats the setback for boundaries and distance from existing dwelling?

Hi m8,

Setback to side boundaries is 0.9m for lots up to 900 sq m; otherwise 1.5m side.

Distance to the existing dwelling is a BCA (Building Code) matter and is minimum 1.8m wall-to-wall (900mm fascia-to-fascia);otherwise fire-rated materials must be used.

This means masonry/brick (or fire-rated clad material) for walls, metal fascia and fibro eaves.

Serge.

Re: Numbering of a house

We had a house on the Gold Coast with two houses on one block with 2 street frontages. We just put a mailbox at the 'back' house and used an odd number that suited the even numbers from the opposite side of the road. Mailman did not know the 'odd' number was not legit so he just delivered mail as normal.

We could not sell the house as it is was all on one title - but we had no problem using our 'odd' number for mail and visitors :D

theres a similar set up across the road from me

the granny flat at the back has its own garage at its street frontage but they have allowed a 1m wide walk way which gives it access to each road (granny flat only) and the letterboxes are both on the registered lot's road

Back