Dual living double storey

Hey everyone,
Unsure where to post this thread so figured maybe do it here. Please move it if you have to.
Am looking at getting a piece of land in Western Sydney (i've registered for many different estates). Looking at a 300sqm block of land as it's most affordable. I'm looking to get married within a year or two, so would like a PPOR. I'd been looking at places to rent in the areas i'd like the live with my future wife and they were only 100-150 cheaper than buying in the area.

Anyway, I found that the best way to get into a place of my own or a place in general was to get a piece of land that registers in 12 months, and to build the cheapest and most affordable house. Looking at Allworth homes 4 bedder for 200k so overall should cost me around 500-520k if I chose not to do dual-living.

Considering I don't think we'll need a 4 bedder to live in, I had this thought that maybe I could build a double storey place with upstairs being a 2 bedroom unit that I could live in with her and to also rent out downstairs for around 400-450 a week. Looking at altering the plans I found of a builder that does something similar in QLD. With the 10m wide zero lots, you usually only have one garage, so I want to change the garage in that plan to an extra room.

My question is, would I lose my FHB grant if I lived in one and rented the other or would I have to wait 6 months to rent it out (unless I get my mates to rent out downstairs).

Secondly, what would I have to put in place to allow it to be dual living? e.g. firewall, separate meter etc. Should I not have a separate meter and do it together? What are some suggestions do add value or alter the plans that I have attached?

The house attached is 24x6.8m (don't know why it's so narrow). I'd be looking at 20x9.1 or 20x8.5 (garage side can be built on the boundary).

What do I need to keep in mind when doing this project of dual occupancy? I have added an extra 100k to my simple one storey house price. From what I've seen, 2 storey houses go for about 60-70k over what a one storey would, so i've added 30k for second kitchen and other things that may be needed for dual living. Obviously these are rough numbers for the two storey but looking at the 300-320k for building

Goal:
use FHB grant.
save as much money as I can while the land isn't registered so then we can have a total of 90k deposit by the time it registers.
live upstairs in unit.
rent downstairs either 3/4 bedder around 420-450/week. That way at 5% we would only be paying $150-200/week in mortgage repayments on a P+I loan. That'd help us a fair bit early on in the marriage and would work out to be cheaper than renting.

What things do I need to consider?

Attachments

• dual living double storey.jpg
    dual living double storey.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 2,083
I've also attached the allworth homes house i'm looking at. Wouldn't mind making this the downstairs of the double storey if I could find a way to make it work.

Attachments

• sonata living room.jpg
    sonata living room.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 187
You'll need to check, or have someone check for you, the LEP &/or DCA for the council area you're looking at building. Dual occupancies normally have minimum land size & it may not be permissible to build one on top of the other. in one of the areas I've been looking at for e.g. you need minimum 500m2 & they can be attached or detached but no part is allowed to be above the other residence - it becomes a residential flat then which is subject to other conditions.

Last edited:
Some of the new estates allow Fonzie flats (GF above house). I know Thornbury at Penrith does bit unsure of any others.

I was reading Holroyd's DCP the other day and they don't allow dual occ upstairs/downstairs.

I just assumed if it's attached it can be under 450sqm. I'll have to ask Blacktown council though as it's in the northwest growth centre.
Thanks for the advice!

Yep that's what I meant sorry

Thornton was/is a pet project of Brad Hazard, the previous planning minister. It is specifically zoned for medium and high density only - essentially it's the poster child for the way Sydney will be developed along rail corridors in future. It's all terrace houses, dual occ and apartments - no mcMansions - and all plonked within a very short walk to Penrith Station, Westfield, and the broader Penrith CBD. Right now all that's been built there are the first stage of Terrace Houses, but large developers such as St Hilliers and Folkestone are launching several hundred new apartments there shortly. With the Badgery's Creek airport now appearing to be proceeding, Penrith ( and this estate in particular) is well positioned to do very well

Attachments

• 2014-11-16 14.01.05.jpg
    2014-11-16 14.01.05.jpg
    589.5 KB · Views: 141
Back