Dual occupancy + Granny flat

What is the definition of a dual occupancy and is it possible to have a dual occupancy property plus a granny flat thereby having three dwellings on the one title.

I have a two Storey house, and each level is a separate dwelling fully self contained. Is this considered as a dual occupancy and is it possible to put a granny flat in. The place is in the inner city. South Sydney city council.

Dual- as in the definition TWO.
So if you have three it's not dual occupance. Most councils won't allow 3.

Are the existing 2 legal?

Yes the existing two dwellings is legal. Just purchased and the vendor produced all the documentation from council.

I was thinking whether council would allow you to stretch it to have a office/studio garage.
It would be some sort of small two storey garage where the lower level has space to park a car and the upper level is an office with a bathroom, so not technically another dwelling.

The garage currently faces another street so there would be separate access to this building as well, the neighbours also have similar structures built all the way to the boundary. Has anyone ever done such a thing?

What is the definition of a dual occupancy and is it possible to have a dual occupancy property plus a granny flat thereby having three dwellings on the one title.

I have a two Storey house, and each level is a separate dwelling fully self contained. Is this considered as a dual occupancy and is it possible to put a granny flat in. The place is in the inner city. South Sydney city council.

Dual occupancy is a very broad term really.
The erection of two dwellings, or the modification of an existing dwelling to create a second dwelling, under a common roof on a single allotment of land is in itself 'dual occupancy'.

You can also have 2 separate titles and thus sell the separate dwellings like in a semi-detached arrangement or a villa. This is done through the Department of Lands IF Council allow it on your lot. There are very stict and rigid rules on whether a property can be a dual-occupancy development with an approval to 'strata' or sub-divide.

You cannot, though, have a dual-occupancy plus a granny flat in NSW.The legislation does not allow a 3rd dwelling. i.e. granny flat.

Your idea of creating an extension or 3rd structure as an office or even a studio DOES NOT make it a 3rd dwelling at all- you cannot have occupants (legally) in the 3rd structure. Remember that if you have a fire, and whilst insureres will happily take your money over the phone for insurance of the 3rd 'dwelling', they will not pay up should an 'occupant' set the place on fire, for example.

If the fire spread from the 3rd structure to one of the other two or even to a neighbouring property- you wont be covered. Imagine that..

Converting existing to a Dual occupancy

I have a similar issue,
I have a 2 storey house + land in the front for a possible granny lat or extention. I need to increase the cashflow to help reduce the mortgagae & save a bit for my retirement.
I was thinking of putting an addition to the lower floor (has seprate access but bot internally seprated yet) to add 2 bedrooms there & let it out while I live upstairs.

Other option is to build a granny flat in the front. There is a tree at the front that may need to be removed. I am also concerned about reducing the value of property by making it look congested by an addition of granny flat!

Should I proceed with trying to split the current 2 levels into 2 dwellings by addition + part modification to create 2 bedrooms + toilet & shower or go with building a granny flat at the front!

Thisis in Hornsby council! The current 2 floors do not have fire insulation between the two as they are currently part of one dwelling!

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance!

Back