Dual Occupancy questions

Hello all,

Building a Dual Occupancy, which is nearly complete. Would anyone can answer me some questions, Thanks :)

I know I can get an extra bin from council.

Qs:
1. Do I need to pay for the bin?
2. If yes, do I only pay for the bin itself or I need to pay another council rate?
3. Is an extra bin == a council rate? no bin == no rates?

4. Have installed a separate water meter. Do I need to pay TWO water supply and sewerage supply charges?

Hello all,

Building a Dual Occupancy, which is nearly complete. Would anyone can answer me some questions, Thanks :)

I know I can get an extra bin from council.

Qs:
1. Do I need to pay for the bin?
2. If yes, do I only pay for the bin itself or I need to pay another council rate?
3. Is an extra bin == a council rate? no bin == no rates?

4. Have installed a separate water meter. Do I need to pay TWO water supply and sewerage supply charges?

Check your concil web site under the waste and recycling section. In our council they charge extra for each bin and it varies depending on what type of bin it is. Recycling or green waste bins are fairly inexpensive, however extra general rubbish bins cost a bit more.

Regards,

Jason

Hi,

I just went through this in NSW.
Had to get an extra set of 3 bins - general rubbish, recycling and garden waste.
You have to pay for 2 lots of rubbish fees if you have 2 bins, which would be required for a duplex.
I think it's about $200/year by memory.
The recycle and garden waste bins are free.

If it's a new duplex, all the bins are free (one set per unit), you just pay the waste collection fee for rubbish x 2 added to your council rates.

Water should be x 2 also.

If it's a new duplex, all the bins are free (one set per unit), you just pay the waste collection fee for rubbish x 2 added to your council rates.

Bins might be free in the city, in the country you have to purchase them from the local council and they will deliver for a fee.

Back to OP question...
In country NSW if you don't strata your new duplex build you get one rate notice and are charged for each units garbage & water - this is the cheapest way to go.

If you strata units each unit gets a rates notice.

We have a strata'ed 3 bedroom unit and council rates are $346 per quarter, we also have an unstrata'ed duplex and are charged $516 per quarter if this duplex was strata'ed it would be $692 per quarter (2 x lots of $346)

Cheers
Sheryn

Bins might be free in the city, in the country you have to purchase them from the local council and they will deliver for a fee.

Back to OP question...
In country NSW if you don't strata your new duplex build you get one rate notice and are charged for each units garbage & water - this is the cheapest way to go.

If you strata units each unit gets a rates notice.

We have a strata'ed 3 bedroom unit and council rates are $346 per quarter, we also have an unstrata'ed duplex and are charged $516 per quarter if this duplex was strata'ed it would be $692 per quarter (2 x lots of $346)

Cheers
Sheryn

we are just completing a dual occupancy in Canberra.
You don't have to pay for the bins if the property is separately titled and the bin is owned by ACT Govt. If the property does not have a separate title, then you need to pay for the bin. yes, you need to pay 2 separate water supply charges as it is considered to be 2 properties. Hope I made sense.

Thanks all for your replies.

You don't have to pay for the bins if the property is separately titled and the bin is owned by ACT Govt. If the property does not have a separate title, then you need to pay for the bin.

The property is not separate titled, so I will pay for the bins.

Two more questions:

1) How about council rate, do I need to pay two council rates?

2) If I live in one of the units, and rent another out, do I need to pay land tax?

Thanks ;-)

Given it is all on one title - pretty sure you don't have to pay 2 council rates or any land tax, it should be just like renting out a room... We have just had ours approved to 2 titles so we could sell them separately if we wanted and so we are not in exactly the same situation as you. Best that you check with ACT Govt.

I have a similar situation where I can readily divide a house on one title into two apartments. I would like to know of any experience with the following:

How do you insure with landlord's insurance?
Specifically, how do you represent the two apartments as separate entities for the purpose of landlords insurance when they are in fact on one title?

Do you need a separate building insurance?

Can you just divide water without separately metering?

Back