Dual Occupancy questions

Scenario is this: IP purchased and granny flat being constructed after obtaining approval from council. both dwellings will be completely separate, i.e. own bins, meters, entrances etc.... only the drive way is common, like a battleaxe would be.

question 1 is can I claim deductions for the granny flat before it is rented out? On the ATO site it says “You cannot claim a deduction until the construction is completed.

What is the definition of completion date? once I advertise the property as available? Or are both dwellings viewed as one and the same (house and granny flat) and seeing as the house is rented out then I can claim straight away.

also, would i get a 1 deprecation report for both dwellings or 1 each?

Would be great to hear from people who have a dual occupancy property, or if you have any experience with this scenario.

Thanks

From a planning law perspective the properties are viewed as one and the same as you can not sell the granny flat by itself - all development rights are based on the principle dwelling on site.

In terms of completion it is probably upon receipt of the Occupation certificate.

well if it's of any help to anyone else, apparently if they have separate kitchens then you need to get 2 depreciation reports done.

that would be the most logical I think. that had slipped my mid for a second.

This does mean then that i cannot claim the interest expense on the loan to construct the granny flat I assume. I can only claim the interest expense after it is tenanted :confused:

I need to chat to my accountant but I think he's on holidays already! lucky guy! obviously I am not patient enough to wait till he is back for a reply, hence the questions.....so Thanks for the replies!

This does mean then that i cannot claim the interest expense on the loan to construct the granny flat I assume. I can only claim the interest expense after it is tenanted :confused:

I think the principle is that deductions cannot be made until it is making an income. Also there must be an intention to make a profit (at some stage).

I think the principle is that deductions cannot be made until it is making an income. Also there must be an intention to make a profit (at some stage).

The intention is most definitely to make a profit. to rent it out asap and also increase the value of the property overall.

That is a very hard question to answer actually. Read Steele's case.

:confused: had a read but still as confused.

Can't seem to find the info i'm after on the ATO site.

Back