Dual Occupancy

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has had success renting out a Dual Occupancy property with an upstairs downstairs configuration?

I'm looking at a place on the south side of Brisbane in a blue chip suburb which has the option to rent out the top and bottom separately. I'm after any advice on what works or doesn't work with this method.

Pros:
- Higher then normal rental yields
- If there is a vacancy, half the rent will still come in if the agreements are staggered etc

Cons:
- Power and water are not separated (owner will have to cover costs)
- Are people prepared to rent out the bottom possibly hearing foot steps above. etc

I still need to do some Due Diligence with the council approvals etc. However can anyone fill me in on the types of council approvals needed? That would be much appreciated. (The sales agent tells me that only the building inspection certificate 21 is needed?) however I will check with council.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers :)

Hi
Is it in Brisbane City Council Area?

If so then you can have issues. BCC does not like nor tolerate these, although someone needs to complain for you to get caught.

Hi
Is it in Brisbane City Council Area?

If so then you can have issues. BCC does not like nor tolerate these, although someone needs to complain for you to get caught.

Hi RPI,
Thanks you so much for your feedback. Yes it is in the BCC area. The agent assures me that the council has approved it to be rented in this manner. Do you have any idea on how i can seek proof from the council etc? (As im not just taking the agents word)

Thanks again

I have a dual occ in the Logan shire but it is a 3x2 two story with a 1brm unit above a standalone double garage.

The electricity is separate but the water is common. The water consumption has to be managed by the PM and that can be good and bad depending on who it is. Ive only had one set of house tenants that caused issues with the unit tenant.

The unit tenant thinks its great and want to stay indefinately... so they say.

The selling agents jack the purchasing price up a bit like commercial property as there are two incomes which I think is BS.

The PM also charge you 2 x for everything.

Last edited:
Back