dumbing down.

Tomorrow

Hi All
Interesting topic , tomorrow I'm going to friend's place who has a new GF and our group is meeting her group.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out. our group is full of conversatives and I'm the only one who activtly invests in IP's, or has any interest in finance . There is one other who follow's the stock market but I might as well talk to my shoes as he has no interest in anything that he doesn't know now,which brings me to my point that I find in people.

I tend to find that people may have an intererst in a particular topic, yet put absolutly no thought into the topic, so if you ask them something you will get a very obvious answer and any questions (on there topic) which is not obvious based you will get a very cool reception or blank look, as if I'm the idiot for even ask the said question .

So for tomorrow I have been put on my best behaviour , no up setting people, no abusing anyone , and no difficult question to anyone ( will see how this pans out about 4pm when drinks start at 12) :eek: My main problem is I love a bit of conflict and controversy , something to do with having had red hair and a scottish mother lol wish me luck .

stuart

I tend to find that people may have an intererst in a particular topic, yet put absolutly no thought into the topic, so if you ask them something you will get a very obvious answer and any questions (on there topic) which is not obvious based you will get a very cool reception or blank look, as if I'm the idiot for even ask the said question .

So true Darcy. Good luck with it mate......and just remember, it is the attitude of your friends that you describe above, that gives you a stronger opportunity, neh, obligation, to prosper. If these mates get wealthy, they probably won't distribute wealth as efficiently as you.

is anyone else frustrated by either

a) having to dumb down just to relate to someone?

or

b) not being able to have a meaningful and serious conversation without some yutz interjecting with "hey! lighten up guys!".

i'm so over having to fake my dumbness at parties and functions. it seems the only people i can hae a serious conversation with are my wife, other investors (few and far between) or my friend's family (they're all stockbrokers, RE agents, business owners etc).

why is it, in this country, you're shunned if you speak without a "like" chucked in before every emotion or noun or forget to put an "ay" on the end of each sentence?

god forbid you want to talk about religion or KRudd or investing ideas or finance or the GFC or anything else that doesn't relate to sport or brangelina.

Try dealing with the general public in your job - you need to do it all day long.

Try dealing with the general public in your job - you need to do it all day long.

My first job was working in insurance claims for a comp third party insurer.
Guy comes into make a claim and needs my help to fill in the form.
I figure he wants help with the accident description or some other tricky bit.
But no.
He queries the section which says Name and asks if he puts his name in that bit.
No, I tell him, that's where you put the name you wish your parents gave you at birth.
And he was one of the smarter one's too.
He gets to vote just like the rest of us. Very scary stuff.

I'm frequently in social settings where most people have IP's and other investments, and those people know each has this interest and discussed it previously, yet the subject just doesn't come up.

I don't think it's always the case that people don't want to offend or intimidate others. Some simply see a social occassion as a time to put their business aside and let their hair down.

It's at these times it's seems almost inappropriate to bring up subjects like IP's and shares.

I don't think it's always the case that people don't want to offend or intimidate others. Some simply see a social occassion as a time to put their business aside and let their hair down.

It's at these times it's seems almost inappropriate to bring up subjects like IP's and shares.

My sentiments also. I find it rather boring to spend my life pursuing those with interests that align with mine. It could also have you develop a very one dimensional attitude toward life. I enjoy all different people. I find that some boguns have very interesting stories to tell.

Sometimes people become pretty elitest and that is a shame because there is a lot more to this world than those you consider to be of a similar intelect and/or social standing.

If life has taught me anything, it is that we are all unique and everyone has a history that may be interesting, sad, hillarious, exciting, amazing, boring or any other discription you like, but unique and that is worth listening to.

"Lowering" oneself to "their" level from time to time may be both interesting and educational.

Bloody hell, you may even learn what not to do.

For what its worth remember that:

'But for the grace of god, there goes I.':eek:

Happy days.

Cheers.

Chrisv

I find that some boguns have very interesting stories to tell.

The flaw in your argument though, is that there are so many of them they are hard to avoid. One of the things I enjoy less these days is public transport. Why? it's a bogan's realm.

More often than not, you have to consciously seek out like mindeds, especially if you think outside the bogan square.

bahahaha! so i did - so i did.....

last straw for me was making a cuppa just after our call and started to get into the demographic problems with mandurah

I dont mean to highjack the thread here but Blue card would you care to elaborate on this comment either here or another thread?
cheers
yadreamin

Luckily not too many on the forum hang out with billionaires or the Mensa crowd. OMG!

lol i guess it is relative - you're right.

I dont mean to highjack the thread here but Blue card would you care to elaborate on this comment either here or another thread?
cheers
yadreamin

as in, Mandurah demographics? i was just doubting the ability of the current population to swallow further rent rises .... not that that will stop rents rising, if they don't like it, they can move next door, who's charging the same.

mandurah is a little landlocked - there's a thin stretch of land it sits on and anyone who says "i live in mandurah" when in fact they live in Falcon is kidding themselves.

I actually find investment talk boring after the first 10 minutes or so, does that make me dumb?

Anyone who can't carry a conversation on a range of topics is pretty boring in my book.

Reactions: weg
Luckily not too many on the forum hang out with billionaires or the Mensa crowd. OMG!

Ouch! I'm not a Mensa member, but only because I got scared off after joining the International High IQ Society and found they were mostly a bunch of twats.

That said, I am guilty of being unable to carry on 'social' conversation and avoid parties like the plague unless I can sit in the corner and have a decent conversation one on one.

My husband's IQ is above the average as well and I have no trouble speaking to him about anything. Maybe it is a factor. He and I are quite opposite in our tastes and hobbies etc and only agree on political issues.

I am not capable of 'light conversation'. I wish I could be, it sure would be helpful sometimes.

I actually find investment talk boring after the first 10 minutes or so, does that make me dumb?

yes! yes you are. now go away, this thread is for smarties only.....:p

i know what you mean about varied conversation. i wish it went the other way, i've been to parties where the ONE topic of conversation is football, or cars etc but if someone brings up politics or the sharemarket or real estate my ears IMMEDIATELY perk up and i'm over there about to swap a good yarn and learn a thing or two.

Everyone is dumb at something. A person who is totally clueless about real estate could be extremely good at fixing a car or building a 767 engine! What amazes me is how everything thinks they are smarter than the others. With this mindset, you only limit yourself.

People usually talk about things they like or think they're good at. People talk about movies, sports, celebrities, current news events at social outings because it is likely the topic most people can relate to most. (Duh).

Have you ever tried talking to a electronics manufacture owner? I have a friend who produces electronic components (OEM) for companies globally. Company easily worth +$70mill. The way he talks about molds, automated robots, repairing them, QA issues will send anyone not in that field "INSANE". He has to dumb down a lot of terms when he talks to me. We often change topic back to cars, current news events, and other "dumb" topics because we each specialize in different fields and they don't mix.

hang on - this isn't a thread about degrading those who aren't savvy investors.

this is a thread about having to dumb yourself down to relate to some people - and that lately, i've been doing it more often than not.

someone who builds 767 engines would be great to talk to - about the cleanliness required, the cool tools, the strict procedure, penalties for breaking procedure - there's a few hours of conversation right there.

everyone is dumb at something - agreed - but constantly and consistantly dumbing one's self down to relate to friends and colleagues probably tells you something. some people aren;t interested in investing - that's fine, they can still have a decent idea about a great many other things that are equally as interesting.

another point for discussion - those with no opinions on ANYTHING.....:(

Back