Dundas Valley, NSW - Good/Bad Area?

Hi,

Looking for a family home in Dundas Valley nearby the park and shops. A bit concerned about the area as I understand there may be a number of housing commissions nearby (some of which now may be privately owned).

What is the are like in 2009? Spent some time in the area today near the shops and got a bit of a bad feeling from some of the passing cars and the look of some of nearby units...

I need to know if I am making a mistake urgently. Appreciate any advice and other suggestions (e.g. on Cherrybrook/Castlehill).

Linc.

I would love to hear what others say..i am also looking at buying an investment property in Dundas Valley, Ermington, Rydalmere, Telopea?????? and would love to have some opinions shared!!

Hi Linc and Rafters

I know these areas very well, and can tell you that locals who are familiar with the "Valley" will certainly avoid buying in particular streets, that have runs of HC stock in them- too many streets to name here but they include sections of Yates, Evans, Cox, Marshall etc. Though some HC stock has been onsold to private owners lots remain so check it out for yourself by taking a thorough drive through this suburb and also nearby Telopea. There are certain pockets that are better than others; I like the top end of Tintern Ave and Felton St in Telopea in particular and Dundas itself is ok.
Compared to surrounding suburbs with much higher medians (eg Carlingford, Eastwood, Oatlands) these suburbs really are "ugly ducklings" slowly taking their time to be made over. I do think their reputation 20-30 yrs ago was worse than what it is today but there are still parts that I wouldn't touch with a barge pole- but, hey, that's just my seasoned ex-local no-doubt biased opinion, having lived, been schooled and worked in the area for many many years. I've seen a lot of change too :D

As for electing to look in Castle Hill or Cherrybrook instead, it really depends on your budget as these two have a median some $150K higher than the Valley ($650K compared to $500K) - however they are vastly different suburbs as well. What is it that you want and how much do you have to spend? How important is transport to you?

I have an IP in moffatts dve dundas valley opposite the park . Up the end where the new duplex's and no Hc is.

House has gone up 12% in the last 15 months. Its now DA approved for a duplex which I'll build in time.

Cheers
Andrew

My little brother just bought a place in Maple Crescent, Ermington (Deniston West really) old place on 1200m2. I was surprised with the area. A lot of older homes on big blocks where young(ish) families had spent quite a bit of money on renovations. You can tell that theres a changing of the guard in these type of areas. Parts of West Ryde/Ermington/Melrose Park
I think he and his Fiance are in the Herald this Sunday (or next), some story about the average Sydney price.

I bought a house in the Dundas / Telopea area in March 09, So far we love it, We are not to far from the HC places but far enough so we don't have any problems.

We are on the oatlands side of the rail line which is for the most part the nicer side.

We have great neighbours and we use the local shops even telopea (Can feel a bit dogey but touch wood have had no problems)

The transport is a bit lacking if you want the train but my wife drive 10 - 15mins to meadowbank and gets the express train total journey time is 1hr (give ort take 5 mins) from the time she leaves home till she gets to her office.

Housing Commission Units

Hi Linc and Rafters

I know these areas very well, and can tell you that locals who are familiar with the "Valley" will certainly avoid buying in particular streets, that have runs of HC stock in them- too many streets to name here but they include sections of Yates, Evans, Cox, Marshall etc. Though some HC stock has been onsold to private owners lots remain so check it out for yourself by taking a thorough drive through this suburb and also nearby Telopea. There are certain pockets that are better than others; I like the top end of Tintern Ave and Felton St in Telopea in particular and Dundas itself is ok.
Compared to surrounding suburbs with much higher medians (eg Carlingford, Eastwood, Oatlands) these suburbs really are "ugly ducklings" slowly taking their time to be made over. I do think their reputation 20-30 yrs ago was worse than what it is today but there are still parts that I wouldn't touch with a barge pole- but, hey, that's just my seasoned ex-local no-doubt biased opinion, having lived, been schooled and worked in the area for many many years. I've seen a lot of change too :D

As for electing to look in Castle Hill or Cherrybrook instead, it really depends on your budget as these two have a median some $150K higher than the Valley ($650K compared to $500K) - however they are vastly different suburbs as well. What is it that you want and how much do you have to spend? How important is transport to you?

Just wondering whether there is a way to know which property is housing commission and which property is privately owned, I drove by couple of weeks ago to Dundas Valley and I can't tell which one is which? If this method doesn't work, does anyone know whether there's a list of housing commission property addresses that we can look up?

Dundas

I bought my first home in Marshall rd in 86 or so, 78k corner block too ( boy how wish I knew then what I know now ) and it was very HC then , but I must say I never saw any trouble or felt 'in fear'.

Dundas is under going alot of gentrification so I would buy in streets where there are new builds going on, and older home owners sell up, and the new owners are coming in, you can't go wrong I would say .

Stuart

Just wondering whether there is a way to know which property is housing commission and which property is privately owned, I drove by couple of weeks ago to Dundas Valley and I can't tell which one is which? If this method doesn't work, does anyone know whether there's a list of housing commission property addresses that we can look up?

No there's not. As you can imagine, this information is sensitive.
You ideally need access to RPData or alternatively use a BA as they access this database.

Hi,

Looking for a family home in Dundas Valley nearby the park and shops. A bit concerned about the area as I understand there may be a number of housing commissions nearby (some of which now may be privately owned).

What is the are like in 2009? Spent some time in the area today near the shops and got a bit of a bad feeling from some of the passing cars and the look of some of nearby units...

I need to know if I am making a mistake urgently. Appreciate any advice and other suggestions (e.g. on Cherrybrook/Castlehill).

Linc.

I would prefer to park my money in Cherrybrook or Castle Hill as apposed to Dundas, but behind Dundas is a great area of Oatlands if thats in your price range.

we looked at Castle Hill and thought we got better value for money in Dundas,

Closer to the city with out being stuck on the M2 and out of pocket bucket loads in Tolls and we ended up with a 835sqm flat block instead of 580sqm.

Thats the joy about property what we deem as worthy others don't and vise versa.

Well worth a look at both

Plus now i own here i am a little bias as i want values to rise

What are you thoughts of Perry St? I can see the top end, closer to Marsden road has some nicer houses, which is close to the Eastwood boarder, but the bottom part looks to have housing commissions, and is closer to some of the streets you named to have lots of Housing commissions. I was looking to buy a house in Dundas Valley but am now having serious doubts due to the huge amounts of Housing commissions. Do you have any advice?:confused:

We used to live on Perry St and it is probably one of the better streets in Dundas Valley due to its proximity to Eastwood. According to onthehouse.com the first house on the street (when you turn in off Marsden Rd) recently sold for $950k! 2 other 3 bedders on the street sold for $660-680k in the last few months.. Prices on the Eastwood border of Dundas are certainly on the up and i would suggest that Carlingford might be better value and potential for growth due to the reputable schools, shopping centre and train station, prices in the suburb will always remain fairly stable due to solid demand as compared to Dundas.

As long as you are not close to the power lines as they are friggin huge and pass right thru Perry St.

Do a on the house search of Telopea area on the Western side (Oatlands) and see some of the prices that have gone up in the last 3yrs.

Especially some of the no through roads like
Rock farm Rd / Narrun crescent (Noticed the council is upgrading the little kids park.)
Tintern / Yarunga / Roberts street

Almost bought in Perry St last year, the top half is nice, the power lines don't bother me that much at all.

There is a bit of housing commission around the shops and then lots at Telopea, but have noticed lately there is a lot of work going on and I expect that Telopea prices will be strong over the next 5yrs.

Hi,

Thought I would re-activate this thread as we are very close to purchasing a property in Dundas Valley. It is one of the new Duplex's in Hart Street, the street itself seems nice, several new duplex dwellings along the street. But could it still be a bit close to some of the bad areas?

I am aware of the HC in Telopea and on Evans Road I believe.

We are looking at it as a family home, there are a couple of decent schools in the area and parks too.

So does anyone live or lived in the Dundas Valley area that can give me some peace of mind? or if need be a warning shot!!

Thanks in advance.

Do it!

Hi Smason,
I grew up in Dundas Valley and now live close by, I think Dundas Valley can only continue to rise and have high buyer demand. Big blocks and local government good for duplex building, and surrounded by much more expensive suburbs, I'd buy there to make a profit... Make sure you buy something with suitable land and make plans for duplexing.

Grew up in Dundas (not dundas valley) and my family has lived there since 1980.

Our house is in walking distance to dundas public school, dundas railway station and local shops. Its a quiet area and we have always had good neighbours.

I just crunch some quick numbers for Dundas Valley.

It appears to be about 2000 total dwellings, and about are 165 HC dwellings.

So about 8% are HC properties.
Not surprisingly are number of Asian owners in the suburbs as they get priced out of Eastwood.

Back