Duplex build with husband

We signed to purchase a block of land in April with a delayed settlement.

Rockstar I trust you are reading this thread as we will be building a duplex at the same time again in adjoining Council areas.

Today we submitted the DA after some minor hiccups (said 'thank you' to the front counter Council staff - they were excellent and it makes a difference when staff offer helpful advice and information).

The Owners of the block of land signed the DA for us via Lawyer's office and the Builder is to be advised (TBA) - we are looking at the costs/charges for Owner Builder compared to Builder.

Land 145K deposit 7K
Stamp Duty to OSR $3420 + bank cheque $10
Structural Engineer $1980
DA $7577

Loan for land is 20% equity and 80% lend arranged by MB RL via WBC.

The money to build this duplex build is via a LOC on our PPOR so we avoid the problems of Owner Builder inspections if we go down that track.

Our plan is to build...

1. This duplex refinance LOC security to this property after completion and sell PPOR and move into one side of duplex (then most likely go on an Australian caravan holiday).

OR

2. Start SMSF after June 30th :eek: OMG and build another duplex next year.

Now todays minor hiccups were...

• BASIX was done on duplex as one building instead of 2 separate buildings even though attached dual occupancy and not strat'ed as yet.

• Statement of Environmental Effects - online 1 page document from council website was filled out for minor development and when second planner checked this morning we were told we had to write a statement for each anticipated environmental impact (adverse or beneficial) :eek: mad scramble to write this today.

The pressure was on to complete and lodge as council staff informed us council fees were going up on the 1st July!

Mistakes - we will definitely make a few. :p

Sheryn

Last edited:
Sheryn good luck with your latest IP, seems like a good buy being a duplex, as a few SS'ers know that I have just got myself a Duplex that requires a full reno and a lot of sweat and tears... keep us posted of you progress as we are all keen to hear the out come

All the best Burty...

Wishing you all the best Sheryn and as with your other Duplex build, thanks for sharing.

Shall be following your journey and learnings along the way.

All the best. :)

You just need one with a vision

Land will settle on Friday.

I had a 'nervous moment' [how could I be so dumb] when I realised we had put DA into council with current Owners permission and Builder TBA (we haven't decided if we are going Home / Owner Builder or Builder).

Anyway council did send us a letter to state who is looking after our application and that they would contact us within 28 days if any additional information is required.

Hubby tells me today he is going fishing with his brother for a week from 24th July :(

Today I sat down with hubby to try and work out a timeline - he wasn't interested he preferred to go shopping and buy some swivels for fishing :eek:

Anyway
No point in arguing, laying down the law, trying to organise - just go with the flow...

Had a chuckle to myself today, when hubby said we have planned and worked towards early retirement for many years.

Realitity is who has done this and dragged the other half along the path. Tomorrow I need to organise hubby to buy 5 strips of turf and some dirt to finish off last project which should have been done in March.

This afternoon hubby said he would go and see his brother to get an application for credit signed (building materials account).

Tonight 8pm hubby hasn't gone as too late and too far he says. Tomorrow he can go and get application signed and he will have to travel 20 kms further as his brother is working out of town!

One step forward and two backwards...

Regards
Sheryn

Well contract was suppose to settle tomorrow

Received email from our solicitor's office...

"Bank rang me at about 2.40pm today to say that the Mortgage is unregisterable in that the witness for your signatures signed where the bank is suppose to sign as Mortgagee."

So we will have to resign documents, settlement rescheduled, will wait and see if we are charged penalty from vendor and I suppose there will have to be an adjustment to the cheques already drawn.

Regards
Sheryn

Slow progress

Block of land settled on Wednesday so we (and the bank) now own the block. Vendors didn't charge us any penalties for late settlement.

Land $140,000

Deposit $7,000
Stamp Duty $3,410
Legal fees $1,122
LOC funds $22,116
Loan $112,000
Bank Cheques $40

Total $145,688

We should know by middle of August if DA approved. ;) Hubby looked up application on Council website but it didn't tell us anything.

Hubby went and did his Green card on Wednesday.

Plan B - if duplex not allowed alter design OR build a house instead. With this block we think if duplex is not approved we could actually build a slab house which is a quicker way to build rather than 2 storey which the design of the duplex. :)

Regards
Sheryn

Organising quotations...

Plans still in council. " No news is good news" :D

Hubby rang a few subcontractors & suppliers today and either talked to them or left a message and faxed plans for quotes to suppliers and subcontractors.

Suppliers contacted - roof tiles (do we want supply only or supply and install - yes please) do you want an edge protection quote (turns out - we can have edge protection for eg. three days and it is removed then we have scaffolding installed for brickies etc.

NOTE:- I do not understand but hubby does!

Quote for windows - needed a BASIX report & certificate which we faxed then they needed a ABSSA report! :eek: What is a ABSSA report?

ABSSA Report
Detailing U: values and SHGC: values no idea what this is so back on BASIX site FAQ's and hubby rang BASIX and left a message.

Now our understanding after some internet research is...
Basically hubby did a rapid basix since we were under window size we do not need ABSSA Report.

Incidentially finding out - lots of workplaces have people employed within school hours eg 9.30 - 3pm OR it is school holidays and employees on holidays.

One frames and trusses quote received and supplier phoned to follow up. Quote is for $43500 hubby made sure quote was for treated pine as his brother said untreated pine is about $600.00 cheaper but splits etc. when being erected and not as resistant to termites - so we want to make sure we are supplied with the better frames and trusses!

Late this afternoon we received a quote for insulation on our house - $3581 :eek::eek:
R3.0 Poly batts $3059
Insulation $522.50

Think we may have to remain uninsulated as we plan to sell and move into one of these duplexes that we are building - anyway insulation would not occur until September.

Talking (writing) to myself...

Hubby applied for and received his Home/ Owners Builders Permit today, he will take this up to the council and informally ask how is the DA application going as we don't want to take out insurance if it is not going to be passed.

Sheryn

Sheryn, I would think that you should have an assigned DA contact person that you can call for updates on the progress of your application. We do here in Byron.

Hubby went fishing for a week

And came back to find that the council has raised 6 matters re our DA that need clarifying or don't meet DCP. :eek:

Hubby phoned and we meet with Council Senior Development Planner today and all went well [negotiation is the art of the game], he was great and ended meeting with the comment pleased we are so easy to work with.

Hubby is now madly scrambling (Hmmmm - currently sitting in his recliner chair rocking & watching TV) to address issues raised and we will arrange another meeting with Senior Planner before submitting responses to matters raised.

Some of the points raised today Hubby had previously tried to clarify / discuss with junior planner planners.

A bit like you really have to submit DA before Council really looks at what you want to do.

Not to worry either we can meet the DA requirements or we can't.

Plan B we build a slab house instead of a two storey duplex on a slopey block.

Sheryn

Plan B we build a slab house instead of a two storey duplex on a slopey block.

Sheryn

are you going to make any money if you go with plan B?

I've been reading your other thread on your duplex development with your daughter, nice work, despite all the problems.

Also, what did your husband have to do to get the owner builder licence?

cheers

$
145,688 land & fees
1980 engineer
7577 DA
155245 Total so far

I will try & remember to add monthly interest payments into running total. Repayments due 15th of the month and are $486 except I put a small amount of cash in offset a/c so maybe costing us $100 a week to hold land.

BV
Will we make a profit if we do Plan B - no idea! I would imagine so. Have been trying to work out figures on the duplex that we built with our daughter - basically I think hubby & I have increased our wealth by 40K on the duplex build - if not sold.

If we sell our unit and make a conservative 40K then we take out all the costs of selling - REA commission say 12K = 28K - 50% CGT = 14K - legal fees 1K = 13K

Bottom line with above duplex is we borrow the lot for our half and the idea was to get daughter in her own PPOR. Daughter couldn't afford a house BUt now with her increased equity she can afford an IP once we sort out the lots.

I particularly wouldn't like to build a house on this block of land as it is behind a hotel and next to small motel so more suited to duplex that 4x2x2.

Fingers crossed for DA we won't know now until end of month at the earliest.

Owner Builder
http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/T...lders_approved_equivalent_qualifications.html

Reactions: BV
6% of separation

Funny how things happen, we are still waiting on DA approval or non approval.

I decided yesterday if DA not approved we are going travelling for a while around Oz - possibly WA first starting next year, this is Plan C.

Anyway - I probably am testing the fates by writing the following. On the weekend we visited friends and we were hanging over the side of his front balcony looking up his side boundary it was 1.5 metres from house to fence and is on sloping block eg. double garage under and level living area on top.

We were saying this is how we expect our side boundary to turn out on the duplex we plan to build - no need for retaining walls etc. We look up an spot our council assessor he lives next door to our friends.

Of course we said hello.

Sheryn

Didn't you offer him a drink? :D

No

Hubby rang up council to see about DA and was told it will not go to meeting this week as too many applications for stimulus work ( I presume Government Stimulus) to be processed.

Hubby did not like to complain! I think he has to learn to stand up for himself, I can't do it especially when he was the one that phoned while I was at work. :(

Sheryn

Hubby did not like to complain! I think he has to learn to stand up for himself, I can't do it especially when he was the one that phoned while I was at work. :(
Sheryn

You really think complaining & being bitchy will get you far?
I'd suggest diplomacy: You catch more flies with honey than crap

You really think complaining & being bitchy will get you far?
I'd suggest diplomacy: You catch more flies with honey than crap

When a Council Inspector tells you something eg. a dates & time lines of process he creates an expectation, when he does not deliver [DA approved or not in a timely fashion]....what do you experience other than your trust had been destroyed and you feel let down.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh..... I forgot our local council has a little notice stating that verbal information or advise can not be relied upon only written (or something similar) imagine how one feels when written information/procedure is not adhered too either.

PB
That is my complaint/rationale.

SAD part is there are numerous tradies twiddling their thumbs with no work!

When someone says something I expect it to be delivered UNLESS they ring us (being proactive) and state reason for delay or variance (we are reasonable).

Keep us in the loop as we are paying for the service.

Still waiting.............assessor on holidays last week,this week he wanted a line and a measurement written on the plan ( a different way) go figure - he told hubby what to write because he could 'interpret' read on the plan.

Picked up the mail today and guess what?

The DA is approved!

Usual standard condition.

87 days from start to approval. (minus 10 days for responding to clarifications required as hubby was out to sea fishing). DA application guide starts 40 days.

I scan read the DA approval and left it for hubby to read in detail & interpret.

77 days for a 40 day application process.

Also I picked up a ATO PAYG bill for me in the mail > 3k.

Hubby is too busy this week to start on duplex build.

Now we....
(i) have to go down to the council on Monday and pay our +-19K section fees,
(ii) attend local court to take out a Statement of Liquidated Claims against our neighbour on last build for fence payment she agreed to and has not paid.
(iii) I have a job interview for a position that I would like (don't need this position but I have wanted this position for 10 years). BUCKET LIST
(iv) booked hubby in for trade night @ local race track
(v) need to sort out renewed PINS and credit cards - which PIN goes with what CC
(vi) grocery shopping for long weekend

DA is approved for 5 years so we could go traveling Oz!!!!

Sheryn

Last edited:
Back