Duplex build with husband

The scaffolding has come down to unveil the front of the project. ;)

I had some concerns right from when the plan was drawn re the balance of the front of the building from garage level to upstairs with windows being out of sink with garage doors.

We purposely choose a neutral (not overly patterned) brick to help with balance.

Depending on how the duplex looks after the garage doors are installed, the little front door roofs built and front doors painted, we may need to do something to disguise and create a balance. ;)

Bearing in mind council requirements...
Right hand unit to have bars on windows and a different styled garage door than left hand unit.

The above was the lesser of 2 evils as council requested a different brick for each unit and a different roof tile as well.

The plasterers' have finished and the kitchens are to arrive tomorrow.

Kind Regards
Sheryn

Attachments

• house  jun 22 001.jpg
    house jun 22 001.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 165
  • house  jun 22 002.jpg
    house jun 22 002.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 130
  • house  jun 22 003.jpg
    house jun 22 003.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 128
Looking very nice Sheryn. Entrance looks fine to me.

I could build you a few nice rocks out of that rubble pile. :D

Glad to see things moving along, So what is the timeline now?

Kitchen, fix out, painting, tiling, fit off, carpets? Another 4 weeks and you'll be getting close.

Sheryn,

They are looking tops. I like the offset doorways with the garage. It adds character and does not make the building look like it is a 'box'. Would you be able to tell me what brick that is, and from what range....I like the colour.

Loving your work.

Roachy

Kitchens are in

My computer is on the blink again with a blue screen so back to using hubby's laptop.

I am on holidays and spent last week in Brisbane visiting our son (and NBS's Reno project) and this week is jammed packed doing things (like shopping) with our daughter as she is on holidays as well.

Duplex bathrooms are being waterproofed atm...

The timber for one set of stairs comes in at about 2K so hubby is getting a re-quote to get them made instead of doing himself as last quote was about 3K so that would be 6K for internal stairs. I will check with Rockstar as to how much external stairs are as timber is expensive.

Anyway...
The kitchens were installed whilst I was in Brisbane, I had dressed up the kitchens with different handles but hubby veto'd as he said handle edges too sharp for a rental so we have gone with the basic handles.

Pictures below of kitchen..

Cheers
Sheryn

PS
We have a subcontractor interested in renting Unit 1 - so most likely I will try [we are planning to travel Oz after duplex completed -so that is why I say try] to self manage just have to find where to locate rental tentancy forms and process for managing tenants in NSW.

Attachments

• this week on units 001.jpg
    this week on units 001.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 155
  • this week on units 003.jpg
    this week on units 003.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 124
  • this week on units 007.jpg
    this week on units 007.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 136
Thank you for sharing

Loving the posts Sharyn, its so motivating to read about other peoples projects (I found you through Rockstars thread)
I'm dying to start my first project but have lacked focus and courage.
Thanks to you I am closer to jumping!!!

One question: How did you start your first project? What motivated you and where did you find the information to know what to do?

One question: How did you start your first project?

Ahhhh
First project was years ago.
I wanted to buy a block of land and build a house, well guess what? Hubby was not interested, so I looked around at lots of blocks and hubby said NO to all of the blocks.

A lot of our friends thought I was mad and they laughed at me, Oh no Sheryn's here to drag Tony off to look at another block of land etc..

I applied for a loan for a block of land and the bank wanted my husband's signature not mine!

A few years later.... I ended up saving up enough money to buy a block of land outright with no loan from the bank. :D

Hubby's uncle was a REA and he said why don't you put a duplex on it instead of a house. ;)

Anyway the local credit union lent us the money to build our first duplex. I was paying 17% interest at one stage. :eek:

Nothing was easy - with this project, I didn't know what I was doing but just keep going and asked questions along the way.

What motivated you and where did you find the information to know what to do?

Hmmm, I am a practical person, I see someone do something and I think I can do that, so off I go...doodling & reading & asking questions.

A lot of my female friends discuss recipes, movies etc. Where as I am interested in building and lately SMSF (self managed super funds).

Actually I just borrowed 6 library books on permaculture.

Information
Ask here on somersoft, read your council website and find someone locally who has built what you are going to build or brought what you are going to buy.

Rockstar and I ask each other questions and share information either by phone or PM or we ask on the forum.

Our current project - the land was advertised as no covernants, suitable for duplex, so I rang the Council Building Inspector (wrong person but hey) and he asked the Planning Department and they said it should be OK...

Nothing is ever perfect and the rules and forms change all the time!

1. ALWAYS allow and have more money that you need!!!!
2. ALWAYS try to stick to your budget and have variances costed as you go.

Points 1. & 2. are really important so as not to stress your self out.

One thing...
I do think you need to have friends or family who are in the building trade so you can ask questions (they may not have the answers you want/need as they may not have done what you are going to do).

Cheers
Sheryn

Thanks

Thanks so much for your reply Sheryn, its great to hear how others have got to where they are.
Sounds like my husband has the same problem as yours, as wife that wont stop. I am ALWAYS talking about property and researching it and its all I ever think about.
You and Rockstar have really motivated me to make a move (i had started but you guys have given me the push I wanted).

My first project will be strata titling and renovating a block of 4 units I bought about 9 years ago. I hope to get this started within the next 2 months and completed by christmas. I will make enough money from these to fund my first duplex development.

Sheryn, have you done the CCORP course?

thanks again for all your knowledge and help

Sheryn, have you done the CCORP course?
No I have not done the course..

Went to a CCorp seminar - Thats how I meet Rockstar he had a spare free ticket, so we drove up to my son's place in Qld and Rockstar and his wife Lee picked me up at the Beenleigh Railway station.

Personally I have been to a lot of free property & share seminars etc.

Nothing replaces having a go yourself at developing, don't pay someone to do it for you unless you have heaps of money & work fulltime.

Exit strategy for duplex development....if I can't build a duplex on this block of land then I will build a house and allow enough room for a granny flat to be built later.....:D

Cheers
Sheryn

Hi Sheryn

I have been catching up on your thread, after having read Rockstar’s. I’d like to echo some of the other members and thank you and Rockstar for sharing your projects. Your threads are so inspirational and informative.

I have been working overseas, so I’ve not built yet, but I’m hoping to have enough capital to make a start when I return to Oz (hopefully soon). You and Rockstar have definitely inspired me.

I’m looking forward to seeing more photos and how your numbers turn-out seems like it should be a winner!!

I’d also like to shout out to Mrs Property and thank her for some of her questions here and on Rockstar’s thread – exactly the kinds of info I was after as well – thanks for asking.

A big thanks again,
Dave

Hi Sheryn,

Just been catching up on your project and I think its looking good, hopefully I can get a chance to come down and have a look one I finish the inside of my place.

Keep up the good work

Brian

Hi Sheryn,

If you don't mind me asking, what is the profit you are expecting to make on these ones?

Would you build like this again or would you test Rockstars latest approach of using kit homes?

Love reading your threads. Thanks for sharing

Hi Sheryn,

Just been catching up on your project and I think its looking good, hopefully I can get a chance to come down and have a look one I finish the inside of my place.

Keep up the good work

Brian

Brian
We are 8-10 weeks till completion so you have plenty of time to come & visit.

Cheers
Sheryn

Hi Sheryn,

If you don't mind me asking, what is the profit you are expecting to make on these ones?

Would you build like this again or would you test Rockstars latest approach of using kit homes?

Love reading your threads. Thanks for sharing

Mrs Property

We are not selling but I would expect that we can make 50 - 60K profit per unit after all costs (we borrowed all $) the market is very flat locally and it was flat and slow before winter.

I do not think we will aim to build double storey again as too expensive and it takes longer. One positive is you get storage underneath house.

Kit Homes like Rockstar is doing - worth looking into but probably not something that would go in our local area although timber is seen as modern.

Kind Regards
Sheryn

Last edited:
Yes, thanks for putting it all out there in so much detail..

How are the figures looking now??

Dos

Dos

Figures looking poorly :rolleyes:

My computer has blue screened again so waiting until our son can come down or someone can fix as hubby's laptap does not have Excel on it.

We are planning on going travelling for at least 12 months after this project, which is a shame as I know with the next project we can improve and control costs better. I can help more by getting 3 quotes in advance for all subcontract tradespeople as planning timely in advance is not one of hubby's strengths.

Project builders can get discounts on materials and better prices from subbies than we can as they are repeat customers and volume bulders, having said that we needed to build to learn what is the go.

The local building inspection told my hubby there is not much building going on. I have thought this for quite a while so the slow down in construction is starting to hit now, therefore if you are starting to build shortly you should be able to get better prices if you chase the quotes.

We won't do floor tiles in the living areas in the next project most likely swap to timber or similar and then hubby can do the work.

Unit size - 130.374sqm, patios 5.976, garage 53.34sqm est. cost 185k all finished includes section fees $9490.5 per side.

When finished I will compare with flat on ground slab construction costs as building on a slope costs more. :)

Cheers
Sheryn

Tiler has completed wet area floors and hubby has installed the 4 vanities and cut out some bricks on external walls to insert gas hot water system.

Wall tiles should go up this week.

Hubby has gone fishing for a week he left this morning, so I will be the project manager this week. ;)

So far we have spent 263K, a lot more to be paid.

Now someone told me that OTP (off the plan builds) builds don't have to pay stamp duty from July 1stIN NSW is this correct?

There are a few new detached duplexes for sale around 389K locally and they have been on the market for a few months.

I wonder if our duplex would qualify for OPT stamp duty exemptions since it is still under construction?

Kind Regards
Sheryn

Now someone told me that OTP (off the plan builds) builds don't have to pay stamp duty from July 1stIN NSW is this correct?

I wonder if our duplex would qualify for OPT stamp duty exemptions since it is still under construction?

Kind Regards
Sheryn

Sorry Sheryn. Purchasers getting 100% OTP SD exemption have to exchange contracts before footings are dug. New homes under construction qualify for 25% discount.

Sorry Sheryn. Purchasers getting 100% OTP SD exemption have to exchange contracts before footings are dug. New homes under construction qualify for 25% discount.

Rockstar
Looks like you are on the boil....if you can get a potential client to sign OTP on your next unit that would be excellent as they will save SD.

Cheers
Sheryn

Back