Duplex Min Requirement - Sydney

Hi all,

just researching duplex development & saw something that caught my eye.

in most Sydney councils the min requirements are usually 15m frontage & a 500sqm block.

when browsing realestate.com i saw a duplex for sale in merrylands & the block it was built on was :-

- 12.2 m wide
- just over 400sqm

i looked at the council regs for the area & it was pretty much as i stated above & it was zones r2 from what i can see.

is this strange or does this mean that it may be possible to build a duplex with less than the min requirements the councils generally depict??

as i said just doing research & thought it would be interesting to see peoples thoughts.

I was reading the LEP, map, heritage overlay etc for an inner city/inner west LGA the other day - attached duplexes required 7m frontage each. Minimum lot size 200m2 each, fsr 0.7:1

If it wasn't for the frontage you could easily squeeze 3 on a block (might not fit the other controls though ).

Hey mate.

I mean that the block prior to being developed was 12.2 wide and just ocer 400sqm. After being developed its obviously half of that

There are areas in merrylands west and guilford where there has been rezoning and smaller blocks say 449m2 and 12m frontage have been subdivided and what was once one block and one lot is now one block 2 lots meaning you can build duplex. There are pockets of these areas so in this instance council has pretty much already subdivided the blocks.

Was, you've gotta read the LEP etc to understand what you can get away with. Not as simple as saying Hornsby needs 15m so Holroyd needs 15m too. :eek:

You need to get your hands on the council's dcp because there are heaps more things to consider than just the frontage like zoning, minimum land size, etc.

Some councils have interesting policies such as the Ryde council whereby they do not allow a development (even if it ticks all the boxes) next to an existing multi unit development.

You need to get your hands on the council's dcp because there are heaps more things to consider than just the frontage like zoning, minimum land size, etc.

Some councils have interesting policies such as the Ryde council whereby they do not allow a development (even if it ticks all the boxes) next to an existing multi unit development.

Yeah thats what i was going of Holyroyds min requirment was definately more than this block thats why i was curious

most likely it was done through CDC
and that the existing block was sitting on 2 lots.

Not sure how it happened but it is quiet common in the area.

Very unlikely but it could also be Council discretion ( but 12.2 and 400m2 on r2 is insane)
I had Holroyd council accept 14.63 width recently

Also remember that councils change their DCP policy so you may find old build which wouldn't pass current council requirements. Not sure if this fits that scenario.

And then there's exceptions eg cnr Epping & Lane Coce Rd. Next door to villas was previously a no go zone.

most likely it was done through CDC
and that the existing block was sitting on 2 lots.

Not sure how it happened but it is quiet common in the area.

Very unlikely but it could also be Council discretion ( but 12.2 and 400m2 on r2 is insane)
I had Holroyd council accept 14.63 width recently

Yeah i noticed in some areas that are well under the min requirements for that area they get advertised as a duplex block as there on 2 blocks. Never understood that

Hi all,

just researching duplex development & saw something that caught my eye.

in most Sydney councils the min requirements are usually 15m frontage & a 500sqm block.

when browsing realestate.com i saw a duplex for sale in merrylands & the block it was built on was :-

- 12.2 m wide
- just over 400sqm

i looked at the council regs for the area & it was pretty much as i stated above & it was zones r2 from what i can see.

is this strange or does this mean that it may be possible to build a duplex with less than the min requirements the councils generally depict??

as i said just doing research & thought it would be interesting to see peoples thoughts.

The Council's min requirement or DCP is really just a GUIDE....it's not a hard and fast rule...

What's wrong with that one Sammy1? It's zero lot lined - a wall without windows sits on the boundary. Heaps of places were built like that on Wilson ard Hoxton Park back in the early '90s when 450 m2 used to be earth shattering news.

Can you imagine every house was built like that? To get to the back of the house you need to go in the house? I personally think it's too crowded and alters the streetscape dramatically.

Back