Duplex/Multi unit development in Darwin?

Hi all,

I'm interested in investing in Darwin and I just want some informed advice/opinions on what some of you think would be the best option.

I have previously bought a pre-existing house in Victoria which I then completed a cosmetic Reno on, then subdivided and built a unit on the rear of.
Because of this I would like to either do a similar thing again or buy a vacant block that is able to be subdivided and build two units/townhouses on.

Has anyone else on here done a similar thing in Darwin and have experience they would like to share?

I am currently doing my own investegations with council etc. to get as much info as possible but I've always found other peoples experience to be much more valuable so your help would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers.

Ok, so not much interest there, has anyone on here completed a Multi unit or duplex development in the Darwin area?

Ok, so not much interest there, has anyone on here completed a Multi unit or duplex development in the Darwin area?

Unfortunately, I didn't
But I would love to hear a feedback from anybody who tried it...
This comment for subscription and bumping up the topic..

Hi all,

I'm interested in investing in Darwin and I just want some informed advice/opinions on what some of you think would be the best option.

I have previously bought a pre-existing house in Victoria which I then completed a cosmetic Reno on, then subdivided and built a unit on the rear of.
Because of this I would like to either do a similar thing again or buy a vacant block that is able to be subdivided and build two units/townhouses on.

Has anyone else on here done a similar thing in Darwin and have experience they would like to share?

I am currently doing my own investegations with council etc. to get as much info as possible but I've always found other peoples experience to be much more valuable so your help would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers.

You might struggle to get trades with the Ichthys project ramping up now if you are project managing the build yourself. If you are building via a company up there this may be negated somewhat though I imagine a general labour leak will take place across the board. To be honest I think it may be missing the boat somewhat as there will be demand in the short term due to the above projects construction phase but in building you would miss a large chunk of that and may get bitten when things quieten down post construction unless other large projects come onboard to fill the gap.

To be honest executive townhouses would probably be on my list to build there to cater to professionals and short stay types as opposed to the standard house and land type build.

Thanks for the response FormerLurker, the intention would be to construct executive style houses on two small lots (similar to town houses but with no shared common areas such as driveways etc.).
I wouldn't be interested in project managing as I am employed full time interstate an simply would not have the time to take care of this myself, I will be looking for someone in the area to help me with this though so if anyone knows of anyone they would recommend?

I understand your suggestion that it may be hard to find trades for the build, even if using a local builder but as they have only just begun clearing land for the construction workers camp (which is scheduled to take 2 years to build) I think it will be quite some time before this becomes an issue.

From my experience working in the oil and gas industry (both in operations and construction) I am confident that the peak of construction on the Ichthys Project will be around 2015 at the earliest.

If anyone has completed a development like this or knows of a reputable town planner in the Darwin area I would really appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks.

Thanks for the response FormerLurker, the intention would be to construct executive style houses on two small lots (similar to town houses but with no shared common areas such as driveways etc.).
I wouldn't be interested in project managing as I am employed full time interstate an simply would not have the time to take care of this myself, I will be looking for someone in the area to help me with this though so if anyone knows of anyone they would recommend?

I understand your suggestion that it may be hard to find trades for the build, even if using a local builder but as they have only just begun clearing land for the construction workers camp (which is scheduled to take 2 years to build) I think it will be quite some time before this becomes an issue.

From my experience working in the oil and gas industry (both in operations and construction) I am confident that the peak of construction on the Ichthys Project will be around 2015 at the earliest.

If anyone has completed a development like this or knows of a reputable town planner in the Darwin area I would really appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks.

Curious to know what sort of budget you're laying out for this?

To be perfectly honest I'm not entirely sure.

I'm nowhere near that point as yet as I want to find out just how hard a development like this would be in the Northern Territory and what companies are in the area to assist with this.

As a rough figure I'd estimate $850-900k but I may be way off here. It's still very early days and I plan to contact builders, town planners etc to find out more on the costs but I was just hoping someone on here may have done it before and had the answers to some of these questions.

To be perfectly honest I'm not entirely sure.
As a rough figure I'd estimate $850-900k but I may be way off here. It's still very early days and I plan to contact builders, town planners etc to find out more on the costs but I was just hoping someone on here may have done it before and had the answers to some of these questions.

Let me know how you go mate. Im looking for the same information too...

Back