duplex or triplex completion time

Hi guys,

Just wanted to run something by you. I have been told that if i can complete a triplex project in NSW in about 15-18 months, that is a realistic time frame.

Does this seem right to you guys? is 12-14 months in NSW just unrealistic?

Cheers

Sesster

Not sure about NSW but in WA I did a duplex in just over 12 months from start to finish. It will largely depend on time to take for the DA, the availability of skilled labour and many other factors.

How long is a piece of string? I am building 2 detached houses in pymble which are almost complete but look 18 months. This is because I encountered every possible issue (rock excavation, etc).

In order to protect yourself - get the builder to put a clause in the contract that if he goes over promised build schedule - then he needs to pay (excluding weather delays of course).

Are you going with a project home or private builder? How much have you been quoted?

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies.

Shahin I don't have a builder yet so not sure if we will go with a private vs project home.

Your right in terms of how long is a piece of string. I guess I was asking the time frame question to see other peoples experiences in how long it took them.

I guess the process up to getting the DA is the largest variable. Would you agree with that?

Thanks for the tip re clauses in contract. We will definetly be having a similar clause in.

Kind regards

Sesster

I can't comment specifically on WA, my personal experience is in VIC are are most of the projects I've seen.

To actually build can take anywhere from 3 months to 18 months depending on any number of things most of which are completely out of control. A realistic estimate might be about 8 months.

If you've still got to get council approvals, this can be from a about 1 month to 6 months, also out of your control.

If you don't have a design, the time to do this will depend on the architect/draft person and how particular you are.

It really is a question that's very open ended. Occasionally it can all come together really quickly but just as often it can drag on endlessly. 12-18 months is not unreasonable if everything goes well, but it might be best to have a worst case contingency time frame of up to 2.5 years.

Hi PT bear,

Thanks for your reply.

I guess like all developers we are hoping to get our project completed asap so we can get our equity out and do a larger project. We are also looking at sites that are DA approved with GOOD plans, not crappy ones. Perhaps maybe skipping the DA process will speed things up.

In your experience, building say a triplex or a 14 townhouse development. Would they roughly both take similar times to complete (assuming they built in exactly the same circumstance).

Cheers

Sesster

12-18 months is not unreasonable if everything goes well, but it might be best to have a worst case contingency time frame of up to 2.5 years.

PT_Bear, How much of the time you have suggested is where you can still have a tenant in place if there is an existing building on the land and how much is time where you need the place vacant (I am guessing actual build time)?

Joel

The actual completion time depends very much on the builder, the suppliers, the sub-contractors, the weather, how well they stick to the plans, what holidays are scheduled during the construction, etc.

It is possible to build a house in 6 weeks and I've seen it happen with the bulk builders when they're building a standard house. They do it very quickly (and cheaply in more ways than you probably want to think about).

For most stand alone builds they contract for 8-12 months but they often get it done in 4.

The most recent triplex I can think of took about 8 months to build. They had a 2 month delay over Christmas.

Another factor is to consider if you want to subtitle the land after the construction. A 2 month time frame in VIC is not uncommon for this but it can often take a lot longer.

We see most off-the-plan projects get delayed on an ongoing basis, even after the construction is completed (this would be due to waiting for the council to strata title them). In a recent case we were told to expect settlement within 4 weeks (that was back in May). The building was completed in June and we're not hoping it will be ready to settle by November.

Thanks PT for your post. I appreciate your insights.

Yeah I guess the builder really determines a lot.

Any one else who has developed in NSW and can share how long their development took to complete.

Kind regards

Sesster

Sesster

Councils can hold you up big time when you are seeking approval (5 months is the longest delayed approval for us then it was Christmas time) so 18 months is not unrealistic.

Sheryn

There are so many variables and you are not asking the right questions.

You need to think about what development you are doing and in what council you are doing it in. If you are doing it in ku ring gai, warringah or sydney city then prepare to lose some hair, if you are doing it in bankstown, holroyd then different storey.

Are you going to get the DA yourself or via a town planner?

Then you have got the CC. Don't take this lightly. Depending on the conditions of the CC this could either set you back considerable time wise or cost wise or both.

All of this and you still haven't got to the construction part.

Hi Shahin,

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your candidness.

We are going to develop in the western suburbs of Sydney, near North Parramatta or Blacktown.

We are going to get our DA through a town planner.

Any one have experience dealing with the Parramatta City Council?

Cheers

Sesster

Back