Duplex Sites Sydney

Hi All

I'm in the process of doing research into sydney. Duplex Development. Victorian Land Tax and Melbourne Yeild means time to start looking elsewhere.

Looking for blocks of land for a duplex type development. I have a criteria which i apply to melbourne which is below - The melbourne projects have been 3/2/2 X 2 level solid family homes. I was wondering If the crowd here can give me some tips for sydney. I know each council is different and varies greatly but need some starting point.

Minimum land size ? (600 in melbourne)
minimum Frontage ~ ? (15m)
Northerly facing backyard - Is this important in sydney as well (It helps in melbourne specially when you get double storey shadows)
Not Heritage Listing
Areas Ripe for rejuvination - usualy with fibro homes

Is there anything else i should add to the list or omit for sydney? I Usually hold onto all my developments and aim for neutral cashflow end product.

Your thoughts and ideas and opinions will be appreciated

Nimesh

Hi Nimesh, are you looking to build and sell - or hold?

Also, are you looking to supervise the build yourself or hire a project manager? Any reason for Sydney rather than other parts of NSW?

Last edited:
Hi All

I'm in the process of doing research into sydney. Duplex Development. Victorian Land Tax and Melbourne Yeild means time to start looking elsewhere.

Looking for blocks of land for a duplex type development. I have a criteria which i apply to melbourne which is below - The melbourne projects have been 3/2/2 X 2 level solid family homes. I was wondering If the crowd here can give me some tips for sydney. I know each council is different and varies greatly but need some starting point.

Minimum land size ? (600 in melbourne)
minimum Frontage ~ ? (15m)
Northerly facing backyard - Is this important in sydney as well (It helps in melbourne specially when you get double storey shadows)
Not Heritage Listing
Areas Ripe for rejuvination - usualy with fibro homes

Is there anything else i should add to the list or omit for sydney? I Usually hold onto all my developments and aim for neutral cashflow end product.

Your thoughts and ideas and opinions will be appreciated

Nimesh

Hi Nimesh,

In NSW, every Council has differing rules for duplexes. There are over 38 Local Councils. It's not a simple answer since they all have differing requisites.
As a guide, all have minimum frontage (block width) requirements- some are as low as 15m up to 25m etc. There are minimum proeprty size restrictions as well that vary greatly from Council to Council. Some Councils require that you create a strata plan with relevant covenants and others don't..

Best bet is to find the area you want to buy your new property in and then check Council's regulations.

Back