Duplexes 6 & 7

As long as you don't get stuck out there on the Nullarbor :D

Crossed the Nullarbor now in Ceduna.

If we can't find somewhere to stay in our caravan over the Christmas New Year period, Plan B is to drive home.

Rockstar your new 4 build project is making me envious, it is not really the money it is more, yes we can do that, so let's do it.

Cheers
Sheryn

Crossed the Nullarbor now in Ceduna.

If we can't find somewhere to stay in our caravan over the Christmas New Year period, Plan B is to drive home.

Tony will never talk to me again for putting all these thoughts in your head and cutting short his trip by 6 mths! :D

House 1 plans and elevations.

House 1 is the dwelling at the rear. We had to design around a slope of 1 in 3 trying to maintain as much height as possible for the top floor in order to capture the ocean views. This house faces ENE.

Love the modern beach house feel. Is it possible to put a dual entrance on the upstairs toilet so it joins the ensuite and is also a powder room? I'm thinking people would prefer to have a toilet accessible from the master bedroom than trek out to go to the toilet.

Love the modern beach house feel. Is it possible to put a dual entrance on the upstairs toilet so it joins the ensuite and is also a powder room? I'm thinking people would prefer to have a toilet accessible from the master bedroom than trek out to go to the toilet.

Thanks Westminster, I did think of this with the WC. The extra distance is negligible but there is another door to negotiate though it is unlikely that the bedroom door would be shut at night. The most important thing was to have an accessible WC upstairs for visitors without them having to use the ensuite. It's one of those things that may only worry some people. I am pretty happy with it as it is though would be happy to take suggestions for a revised layout for that area if anyone has any bright ideas. :)

Look forward to following the project(s) Rockstar!

Just one question, what sort of research/enquirers to you undertake in regard to planning permission from the council before you put in an offer? Is it just a case of speaking with the local planning officer and discussing your plan with them or do you do more/less than that?

Thanks and all the best!

Just one question, what sort of research/enquirers to you undertake in regard to planning permission from the council before you put in an offer? Is it just a case of speaking with the local planning officer and discussing your plan with them or do you do more/less than that?

Hi Jackbak, I know most of the planning requirements for duplexes now so in most cases I am 95% sure the project can go ahead in one form or the other prior to making offers. Occasionally there are some hidden issues which may affect ones chances but I always have time between acceptance of an offer and exchanging contracts to deal with these. This normally takes 2 - 3 weeks. During this time I can do detailed due diligence with council planners. I have formed a good relationship with most of them and they are happy to grant extended appointments to look over my concept and any site constraints.
Council items to search that are relevant to my shire can include:
Bushfire zoning
Acid Sulphate Soil zones
Location and access to services
Stormwater management
Flood liable land
Environmentally sensitive areas
Old cattle dip sites

If a beginner investor hasn't the confidence, time, or capacity to carry out these initial investigations it is essential to consult a private town planner or architect who has had extensive experience with the local council for similar develelopments as the one you will be planning.

Made 2 offers in the past few days for Duplex 7 land. Both rejected though one of the vendors very quickly counter offerred at only 10k above my offer which means we may be close to a deal. Will try and stitch it up later today with a 2nd offer + a few extra conditions thrown in to suit my situation. ;)

one of the vendors very quickly counter offerred at only 10k above my offer which means we may be close to a deal.

How often does it happen that when one is close to a deal another purchaser crops up to create some competition.:D
We offered 290k for this block of land yesterday and within 10 min the vendors said they would take 300k. I was ready to offer 295k this morning and stitch up the deal when suddenly another offer comes in at 315k.:(

Well good luck to the vendor I say. Happy to let this one go. Even if I had of accepted the 300k we surely would have been gazumped this morning. :D This land went up for auction a few weeks ago with nobody bothering to show up at all.

Same thing happened to me - property on the market for 80 days so I put in an offer and from nowhere another real actual buyer did appear.

We can't gazump in WA and I did have the favourable offer so I was accepted with a Subject to Finance clause. The other Buyer during that time decided they really really wanted it and were willing to make an unconditional offer the minute my Finance clause expired. Luckily I got finance sorted with an hour to spare.

Another block will come up for you and hopefully even better.

Luckily I got finance sorted with an hour to spare.

Nice timing. Great when a plan comes together. :)

Another block will come up for you and hopefully even better.

That's true. About to continue negotiations with the other vendor. Current offer is 280k cash which was rejected. I'll up the stakes to 285k with a few conditions and see how we go. This block had been on the market at 449k earlier in the year. Reduced to 378k in April. Recently reduced again to 329k. (Point at which we became interested)
High construction costs and low priced existing housing stock seem to be the major factors why land is not selling at present. Vendors are having to lower expectations to meet the market.

Rockstar - again thanks for your time and effort you are putting into sharing this journey.

460k in a year. NICE WORK. That is the sort of money MMM talks about needing in order to support early retirement and you are achieving it in 1 year.

Thanks.

Offer of 285k rejected. Time to ease off for Xmas. If this site is still available in Jan I may revisit the negotiations.

Back