Earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand

The 6.3 magnitude quake - classed by experts as an aftershock to last September's 7.1 quake struck in the middle of the working day.
Our thoughts and paryers for people in NewZealand.

65 dead so far. I have friends of friends in CHCH. So far, noone injured, most have lost their houses though, and some havent been able to be contacted yet.
Looks like a lot of devastation. My boss was in CHCH in January, and he said he didnt realise how much damange had been done by the previous earthquake. Alot of people were still waiting for insurance to repair/ rebuild from the last earthquake.

One trapped and injured Aussie unable to move, has been communicating from within the rubble of the building using her mobile phone.

It doesn't sound or look too good at all.

You just hope they get to the live people that are trapped quick enough.

One friend moved over six weeks ago. His partner flew over on Sunday.

He and his partner are both fine. It was an incredible scary experience, with tons of masonry falling out of the sky, and him having to play dodge. Many people lost that game.

@nathanaelb on twitter.

having gone thru the newcastle quake - i imagine they are just feeling devastatingly emotional and numb.

our hearts and thoughts go out to our kiwi mates and we will do whatever we can to help. such devastation in less than a minute - i pray there are many survivors found.

fortunately my family are all further north, but i imagine the whole country is feeling stunned - just like the aussies were with the victorian bushfires.

Unbelievable natural disaster. I have been following it very closely. We have a lot of family and friends there. We are so blessed they are all OK, apart from frayed nerves!

My Dad is there this week, helping out and checking on a house we own. Luckily, no major damage so far, they have had to brace the chimney after this one. Only lots of minor damage that will be repaired, cracking in window frames, walls etc. The biggest concern is the deck is sloping down a little. We had it checked by an engineer only a week before this aftershock!

I am glad everyone else that knows people are OK.

Back