Easement OK, but the Manhole!

HI All,

Looking at a property..I'm ok with the easement being 1.5metres from the back fence, as I intend to build at least 3 mettres from the back fence....but the curly question I have is that there is a manhole .

Do manholes need any special access requirement? Eg, does it need vehicle access, or anything like that? The manhole was in the middle of the yard section ...eg as below:

Back fence line below

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

The block is about 15 metres wide and I wanted to develop a unit at the back.

So I hear people say you need to allow access - but my question is: what type of access? Is it human access with tools and shovels, or do I need to allow clear access by some sort of vehicle. Attached is a quick diagram of the proposed site. Thanks.

Last edited:
Generally for sewer cleaning, and even repairs, enough space to pull a large hose through to the manhole should be enough. Say 800mm minimum.

In NSW, the water utilities normally need an area of 1.2 metres from the manhole for their equipment. Should be the same for VIC.

Ok but does that mean I can basically build , eg, 1metre in from each side boundary and leave 3 metres between back of house to the fence (with would mean about 1metre from manhole to rear wall of rear house ) ....similar to my diagram.

THanks.

Personally having seen the contractors at work, keep a clear area of 1.5m where if they damage anything (ie grass, garden etc) you will not be overly concerned.

Personally having seen the contractors at work, keep a clear area of 1.5m where if they damage anything (ie grass, garden etc) you will not be overly concerned.

yes well the plan is to build the rear wall 3 metres from the rear fence....and the manhole would be somewhere in between that...so from the edge of the manhole circle to the rear brick wall, there should be about a metre.

but, the side of the house, i suppose yes 1.5 metres (or maybe best just build a carport on the side as opposed to a garage. thanks.

Back