Easter - Blue Mtns

We're planning to catch up with family in the Blue Mtns NSW over Easter. Can anyone recommend a nice place to stay for just the two of us within the vicinity of Leura, Katoomba? Husbands into 5 star I'm into saving money - interesting combo.

My wife and I stayed at The McClintock Guest House in Katoomba many years ago. It was really nice but not that cheap - a small place that only has 3 or 4 guest rooms. Doesn't look like you can book online though, so you'd have to ring them.

GP

We went to the Fairmont resort for my birthday last year.

It was fascinating and most unusual. The reason being, is that we were there during the week and not on the wekeend and we were THE ONLY guests there in this huge resort. We basically had the run of the place all to our selves.

This meant that we had the indoor heated pool to outselves, the steam and sauna rooms to ourselves aand every facility - all to ourselves. It actually felt like that Jack Nicholson movie Ths Shining as there was no other noise, no other people and just us, and the staff, in this huge old grand building that normally has a few hundred people.

The only downside was, there are normally 4 restaurants in this resort, however, since we were the only guests, then they only had one restaurant open. But havnig said that, we were able to sit in the common lounge, in front of the huge Citizen Kane type of fireplace, and enjoy a bottle of port while playing scrabble - all to ourselves. It felt like having exclusive access and waiting staff in a huge old mansion

It was a very good place. Relatively cheap as we were there during the week on the off season. Rather enjoyable birthday for me.

Thanks

g

I've seen reports on the Fairmont on TV and it was a complete dump. Apparently the new owners have slashed staff and services. The rooms they showed were dirty and disgusting and most facilities were closed.

Maybe it has improved since?
Marg

I've seen reports on the Fairmont on TV and it was a complete dump. Apparently the new owners have slashed staff and services. The rooms they showed were dirty and disgusting and most facilities were closed.

Maybe it has improved since?
Marg

Yeah it was featured on one of the curent affair programs from memory.

You could try the Redleaf at Blackheath just past the Hydro majestic, its
off the Hwy so no noise and some great walks in the area.

Thanks everyone for replying. I am still investigating. I will try and remember to let you know where we ended up.
Obviously not a lot of people on this forum frequent the Blue Mountains - a beautiful place.

I used to go to the Blue Mountains a lot, but rarely stayed anywhere better than a hostel, sometimes also camping - the ultimate in saving money!

Try the camping ground heading down into Megalong Valley and pitch a 5-star tent, then you'll both be happy. :D

I've also stayed in the Victoria & Albert Guest House at Mt Vic, another very nice place, but that was a long time ago. It's also at Mt Vic, whereas the McClintock is right in the back streets of Katoomba.

GP

Clarence Cottage Leura

Is someones holiday house and very well equipped with antique furniture and all you need.

It was $100pn when I stayed but could well be more.

Thanks Simon I will investigate your suggestion.

At the moment we are looking at a couple of places in Wentworth Falls - .

"Valley of the Waters" and "Lakeside" . The trouble is they can look appealing on the internet and be dumps when you get there.

Back