Eating habits?

How do people eat meals on here?

We just had a wonderful meal. Pork belly and gravy, with mashed potato and green beans. Plus fresh buttered buns. The pork was perfect, juicy with crunchy crackling.

So I'm a mix it all up sort of bloke. In each mouthful I have a portion of meat, spud and greens, and finish off with a bit of bun. I'll leave the juiciest, best part of the meat till last, and make sure the best of the rest goes with it for the last wonderfull perfect mouthful.

The lovely wife though stuffs it all up! She eats the pork first, then the spud, and finishes with the beans! To me that is ridiculous! I ask why and she says it's because the pork is the best bit, so you eat that first, and follow on progressively till the least liked food is finished last. It's no surprise though! She's done this since we met, so 20 years or so. She also reckons it makes a lot of sense, because if you get full and can't eat any more, you've consumed the best bit? OK, I can understand that. Probably irrelevant to me though. With a big appetite I always finish every meal completely, so there will never be food left on my plate.

My no. 2 daughter is the opposite to my wife. She eats the beans first, then the spud, then the pork and gravy last. She says this is because the pork is the best so you leave it to last. Makes more sense to me this method, but I like my method best, mix it all up.

I notice this sort of thing all the time when out with other people. Some eat the best stuff first, some eat the best stuff last, and some mix it all up like I do.

What do most on here do? It's something that doesn't get discussed much?

See ya's.

Due to my (past and present at the same time) occupational hazard of being exposed to a lot of paint and adhesives, I have a poor sense of taste and smell. I have to eat most foods individually - that is if I want to taste beans, I have to eat beans only. If I want to eat meat, it has to be meat only, with no sauce or gravy - just salt and pepper....and so on. Really only enjoy curry as a singular taste option, and in small portions otherwise I get bored of it really quick.

I don't eat 'worst to best' or 'best to worst' in order, rather work in a circular motion until Im full, or its all gone!

pinkboy

Due to my (past and present at the same time) occupational hazard of being exposed to a lot of paint and adhesives, I have a poor sense of taste and smell. I have to eat most foods individually - that is if I want to taste beans, I have to eat beans only. If I want to eat meat, it has to be meat only, with no sauce or gravy - just salt and pepper....and so on. Really only enjoy curry as a singular taste option, and in small portions otherwise I get bored of it really quick.

I don't eat 'worst to best' or 'best to worst' in order, rather work in a circular motion until Im full, or its all gone!

pinkboy

thats very interesting,

dont know if thats a good thing or bad thing for your hip pocket or waist line!

I am a mix of you and your daughter Topcropper :). I like to mix it up...but i do leave the best bits till last. If I am getting full, i have eaten a good mix of everything, but will finish with yum :)

Of your dinner I would most definately finsih with a good mouthful of succulent pork/gravy followed by a crunchy crackling :). Mmmmmmmm

Tonight we had BBQ T-bone and a "clean out the fridge" vege frittata. (any old vege combined with egges,cream and cheese). Polished off the whole lot with a glass or two of red :)

thats very interesting,

dont know if thats a good thing or bad thing for your hip pocket or waist line!

I think I may have explained that a little confusing. I still eat a normal meal, I just cant mix/eat different foods together otherwise the taste is lost. So for instance if I have a piece of lamb on my fork and dip it in mashed potato, I don't really taste the food properly at all.

As for smell, I find it very hard to differentiate many smells. All soaps/deodorant/bath bombs/shampoo etc all smell the same to me. Weird I know!

pinkboy

We seen to eat "already mixed" type foods, but if it's not, I like to mix it up with a tendency to saving the best for last.

There is no method to my madness. My misses points out all these little things all the time. I give the standard 'never really thought about it'. She loves to point out noises as we're about to sleep too. I give the standard 'I didn't notice it till you pointed it out. Now I can hear it. Thanks.'

My misses has a lot of funny eating habits. One is a carry over from when she used to help her dad at the farm. They always had dirty hands so they wouldn't eat the corner of the sandwich which they held with one hand. That piece would be dirty. Even though she doesn't have the dirty hands now, she still has difficulty eating it. That's when I, the groper of the land move in for my feed.

I am like you TC. Mixed. That is what is great.

But as i love to cook I cook what I like so it is all yummy.

I do like complex flavours slow cooked hence my favourite food is french, like beef bourguignon ( beef stew with onions and red wine), coq a vin (chicken in wine), fish poached in white wine , sorrel and a baked white sauce, pea and ham soup, rack of lamb crusted with onion and mustard jam, home made pies and sausage rolls, etc..

Also love a soft poached eggs on asparagus wrapped in parma ham or french omelette.

Sadly wife is fussy:rolleyes: so offal is out as is cassoulet (casserole containing pork sausages, confit duck (and sometimes mutton), pork skin (couennes) and white haricot beans.

Peter

I eat one item at a time - but not in a set order. I think I eat what my body is needing first - ie, protein I go for the meat - vitamins I go for the veges - carb I go for the potato. I do like a condiment - sauce, gravy, pickle, dressing etc

Hubby is a mixer which I don't get - how can he taste the food? But he also lashes it with salt and doesn't use any condiments so perhaps the mix is the taste sensation required.

Junior is fussy and will pick her dinner to pieces.

Each to there own.

Tend to do curry, stir fries and things like that, so everything tends to be mixed together anyway.

But you need to highlight. Leave one of the best bits until last.

I tend to eat my greens first and save the best for last :)

But I'm with TC on the getting the flavours 'stacked' too. DH thinks it's hilarious where towards the end of the meal I'll cut up the last 5 pieces or so of meat and make sure I have enough of everything to go with it to get all the flavours.

save the best for last (which varies week to week for me - with a roast, I either eat the meat or pumpkin last...I love them both).

Especially with sandwhiches - Eat the crust first, otherwise I'd never eat it.

I only mix foods on the fork when there is something on the plate that is horrible (actually..the expcetion to that is peas and mash potato..I like the separate, but prefer them together)

My sister in law is the most interesting person I have met with food eating. She has a way for every type of food and has to eat it that way. There doesn't appear to be logic in it other than to dismantle it piece by piece. (example...lamington, she pulls of all the chocolate, then eats plain sponge....carrots have to be the right size cut, not to big, not too small, or she wont it)

Maybe this is my OCD area but even with stirfrys and curries I still pick out all the meat first, all the capsicum second, all the carrot third etc until all the discernible veges are gone and then I eat the sauce with the rice.

Back