Ebay Advertised Wrong price and I purchased?

Hi,

Wondering what would be effect? Purchased a washer from ebay (from jb hi fi white goods) - obviously a typing error as they put in $79, most other sell it for $1K+

By law, do they have to actually go through with the transaction or can they cancel? I paid via paypal.

Thanks.

Regards.

Hi,

Wondering what would be effect? Purchased a washer from ebay (from jb hi fi white goods) - obviously a typing error as they put in $79, most other sell it for $1K+

By law, do they have to actually go through with the transaction or can they cancel? I paid via paypal.

Thanks.

Regards.

I think they can refuse to sell to you, but get in touch with ebay via the online chat session and ask them. They will be the ones forcing the vendor to sell to you, so get the answer straight from eBay, or Dept of Fair Trading.

I seem to recall reading something about a seller not having to make a big loss due to being forced to honour a wrong price due to a typo...

they may honour it because their systems may not flag an issue... you bought it, paid for it, it gets delivered

you may be in luck?

I vaguely recall somewhere in consumer law they don't have to honour a genuine mistake of that magnitude. I'd keep quiet about it and see how you go.

I'm sticking it quiet, but don't like my chances, most probably a refund...I have heard the previous Dick Smith stuff up that lead to customers getting a 10% discount.

Just checked on ebay, they have taken the ebay store down and wont be back till the 30th...hmmm..

yep, agree with Simon - Stick tight and see what happens. it might just slip through the system!

I'd doubt it'll go through - someone need to look at that order, process it, get the inventory, schedule it for sending etc etc - but I hope you got lucky. If they missed it after all of those touch points, they've got bigger problem to handle

I vaguely recall somewhere in consumer law they don't have to honour a genuine mistake of that magnitude. I'd keep quiet about it and see how you go.

Yup, and I believe it's in the EBay T&C's as well... for an obvious and genuine mistake, they're allowed to renege and offer it at the intended price. They may choose to still give you a discount to soothe your hurt feelings though, just not of that magnitude :D

EBay isn't exactly contract law. The seller can refuse to sell. The merchant Can refund a sale and there is Jack you can enforce through the Swiss Irish Australian tax dodge. They just send a nice email saying sorry. I sold on
ebay and refused to sell cause the buyer was Russian. He got a refund and no more

EBay isn't exactly contract law. The seller can refuse to sell. The merchant Can refund a sale and there is Jack you can enforce through the Swiss Irish Australian tax dodge. They just send a nice email saying sorry. I sold on
ebay and refused to sell cause the buyer was Russian. He got a refund and no more

You could force a seller to sell on ebay if taken to court. Happened before

Back