eBay Money Back Guarantee - be careful and need advice

Still rather have the cash in my hand. Negative balance, not a big deal. I just think you'd be silly to leave YOUR money in Paypal. But then, I'm not an eBay trader. I have sold a few things on there and whenever I have, I rip the cash straight out. When I purchase something, I use a linked credit card on Paypal.

basically, if you have a creddit card linked to it, you are boned, normally

the best is to only have a bank account linked, that way paypal cant take any money out

as for negative balance, what happens is that they send debt collectors after you, namely ARL, apparently, they are nt legally binding so it will never affect your credit, all they can do is send a few emails and letters stating you owe them, and then they cant do anything .

thats the general consensus of what peoples experience,

on top of my two bad experiences, i used paypal when it first came out, well before it was bought out by ebay.

Sold something on ebay, got a payment of $1500, It came from indonesia so I was very skeptical,

had I sent the item out I would have been stuffed. so I waited a few days and didnt do anything, lo and behold , payment was reversed by paypal, they then had the audactiy to charge me a payment reversal fee and since they also make a profit on currecny exchange, they had the audacity to charge me the reverse rate of exchange which is a few % differnet, i was out of pocked a total of $40 odd and had a negative balance

so I called paypal and said its your fault for accepting a card that was stolen, why should i be out of pocket

they did nothing, as usual

I got a letter from ARL about 5 years later chasing $40,

ignored it, last I heard from them

good riddnace

Well, I'd be really interested if anyone has ever had them debit from your credit card for a refund. I've never heard of that happening.

My point was more around not leaving your money in your Paypal account, as then you're giving them the ability to remove that money and return it at will.

If they tried to debit my credit card for a reverse charge or refund I'd call my bank and dispute it.

Of course, I would always send the item I've sold with proof of postage. So if Paypal did send some debt collector letter, I could respond by showing them the item that I sold and proof of postage. More than happy to take it further if it did come to threats.

if you do local pick up option you need to get buyer to sign pick up confirmation, like any other business does when you buy something not off the shelf in a supermarket.

that may also protect you from 'item not as described' claims, if you word the confirmation correctly.

doing delivery with a signature still leaves you open to 'item not as described' claims. so do lots of photos of yourself packing the item before sending, making sure it can be seen from all the angles.

Reactions: S.T
Anytime you use Paypal, you are eligible for buyer protection, BUT you can't lodge a claim with both Ebay & Paypal and get two lots of protection.

Is there an expiry with the paypal or Ebay buyer protection from date of purchase?

I am having issues with a seller I purchased from just over a year ago. I purchased 40 "Cree" down lights with a 5 year guarantee.

I received the items and had them installed so gave a good positive feedback.
Fast forward 6 months and the lights started flickering then they would fail. We have 16 lights that no longer work. And we seem to have one more fail every 3 to 4 weeks. We have been advised that the lights are counterfeit and are not actually the "Cree" brand.

Now looking at the Sellers feedback they have accumulated a lot of negative feedback in regards to the lights not working . I have contacted them via Ebay but they refuse to return my messages. I have also rang them a number of times. At first they said they will get back to me. Now they deny being the company they are and hang up.

I have contacted the ACCC and Office of Fair Trading but they have said that they received no response from the trader.

ACCC and Fair Trading have suggested I seek legal advise or lodge a complaint with QCAT.
I really don't know what to do or how far to go.

Is there an expiry with the paypal or Ebay buyer protection from date of purchase?

I am having issues with a seller I purchased from just over a year ago. I purchased 40 "Cree" down lights with a 5 year guarantee.

I received the items and had them installed so gave a good positive feedback.
Fast forward 6 months and the lights started flickering then they would fail. We have 16 lights that no longer work. And we seem to have one more fail every 3 to 4 weeks. We have been advised that the lights are counterfeit and are not actually the "Cree" brand.

Now looking at the Sellers feedback they have accumulated a lot of negative feedback in regards to the lights not working . I have contacted them via Ebay but they refuse to return my messages. I have also rang them a number of times. At first they said they will get back to me. Now they deny being the company they are and hang up.

I have contacted the ACCC and Office of Fair Trading but they have said that they received no response from the trader.

ACCC and Fair Trading have suggested I seek legal advise or lodge a complaint with QCAT.
I really don't know what to do or how far to go.

Try to lodge complain with your credit card company or bank.

Yep! It used to be 3 months with Ebay, and all your records drop off at that time, but they've now supposedly extended that to 6 months. I believe it is 3 months with Paypal, but the best way to find out for sure is to ring them.

if you do local pick up option you need to get buyer to sign pick up confirmation, like any other business does when you buy something not off the shelf in a supermarket.

that may also protect you from 'item not as described' claims, if you word the confirmation correctly.

doing delivery with a signature still leaves you open to 'item not as described' claims. so do lots of photos of yourself packing the item before sending, making sure it can be seen from all the angles.

Unfortunately. You could have a stat Dec fromb the pope and it wouldn't matter

Papal need online trsckabke and signature confirmation to be valid

well you'd have signature confirmation. and nothing to track since it's not sent anywhere.

you'd certainly be in much better position than without it.

the worst news was when paypal extended their charge back period from 45 days to 6 months :eek: holy cow that's a long time period to hold such a large contingency on your balance sheet

One word: gumtree :D

the positives on ebay are that you have national exposure, plus people pay straight away and you don't spend countless days waiting for people to turn up that never do. ebay own gumtree and they are gradually tightening the noose their on fees too

the positives on ebay are that you have national exposure, plus people pay straight away and you don't spend countless days waiting for people to turn up that never do. ebay own gumtree and they are gradually tightening the noose their on fees too

Yep! Gumtree is fine if you are just selling some stuff from home, but if you are running a Business, it really doesn't get you a heap of sales. Some sure, and they're great because you don't have the Ebay fees, but Gumtree has it's limits.

Back