Eco sandwich panel wall systems

What do people thinking of this style of wall system. Some suppliers mention not having the need for as many trades so it reduces costs. It looks like you done need an exterior paneling, interior plaster, wall studs and wall insulation.

How does these products stack up costs wise when you consider all the materials and trades above? Is it cost effecient?

I'm am looking at raising a Queenslander house, having a garage on the lowest level, and building in using a sub floor. Would this system work for that?

The problem with evolving technologies is that there's reluctance by builders to adopt/change their ways and for subbies to learn about new products. This takes time and money for which they don't get paid.

Agree with Scott.
...and by "this takes time", I'd suggest we're talking 20-40years, not months! Just look at what's possible overseas - UK and USA - in SIPS and prefab houses and it's simply head-shaking time here in Oz. I have a little experience in frustration finding a builder for some pretty simple "new" technologies 2 years ago and again trying to find another one now (since the first was truly apalling and has to be taken to the tribunal and solicitors).

Your problem isn't you or the quality and experience of the technologies in the market place, the problem is finding someone in *this* marketplace (Australia) and even more so in *your* marketplace :confused:.

Timeframe is spot on MacArthur. Smart houses & wiring have been around for 20 yrs, underfloor heating, solar hearlting, passive solar design even longer.

There are some great products out there eg Dincell which allow semiskilled workers to erect walling systems with speed and efficiency - widely available for commercial projects & removes the need for block layers, reo fixers etc. Developers benefit by speed to market & interest savings.

Investors don't want it unless there's bang for your buck (solar panels don't get extra rent mentality is very strong).

Tenants prefer a WIR, 2nd wc, air cond or garage compared to thermal efficiency, solar heating/power or rainwater harvesting.

Until government legislates for change the status quo remains.

Thanks for your feedback. Say they had an installer, is it cheaper that standard building practices?

God knows?!$% - I don't even know the product as you haven't mentioned it. I used an example of a walling system which is cheap if you're using a couple of hundred m2 but for a small area it may not work out cheaper - have your builder price both alternatives.

I've designed a house using these panels recently so have done a bit of research into it for my client, I think it's a great way to build but unfortunately like others have mentioned builders do charge more to use materials they are not used to as it adds risk.. Each trade will charge more as there is a risk of them having problems working with the material..

I found a company call "SIPs ready cut" who had panels made up to standard sizes so I designed the house to suit these sized panels which are cheaper than having them all made to order.. I also used standard timber framed wall internally as there's no need for the sips panel insulation properties internally and the framed walls are cheaper to build.

Using framed walls inside also means that you can keep most of the plumbing and electrical work on internal walls so that these trades don't need to risk working with the SIP's panels and would hopefully not put their prices up..

I also made some of the internal walls brick so that they could hold some thermal mass and regulate the internal temperature which helps the homes energy efficiency..

Depending on the house design and location, even using a few SIP's walls in the right places could have a big impact on the energy rating but I don't think I would recommend building a whole house this way just yet unless you can find a builder who is already using it..

Hope that helps..

only yesterday saw an owner builder house down in south freo going 2 storey with it, it's getting quite popular. It would be a great owner builder product for a single storey because you can get a saw out and cut the openings wherever you like... a simple 2 man job to put up the walls and ceiling

What do people thinking of this style of wall system. Some suppliers mention not having the need for as many trades so it reduces costs. It looks like you done need an exterior paneling, interior plaster, wall studs and wall insulation.

How does these products stack up costs wise when you consider all the materials and trades above? Is it cost effecient?

I'm am looking at raising a Queenslander house, having a garage on the lowest level, and building in using a sub floor. Would this system work for that?

I have raised a Queenslander and build under plus fully reconfigured and renovated the upstairs 10 years ago.

A lot of work went into the project and time away from the family. In hindsight it would have been cheaper to demolish and rebuild.

You cannot use precut panels when raising an building under as there will be a lot of variation in height from one wall to another. We had to measure each stud individually to make a frame which increases the build time.

Builders that do such renovations charge over $2000/sqm while the cost to build a 2 story home starts at $1000/sqm.

Back