Economics, investing and politics

Sim

Administrator
Given our policy here on Somersoft of aiming to keep discussion non-political (which is why political threads frequently get closed or deleted) ... I'm wondering if there is any interest in me starting up a separate discussion forum website for discussion of the economics and politics of investing?

The focus would be on discussing how the economy and political decision making affect our investing lives.

Naturally it would be a very different type of forum to Somersoft and it would need to develop its own moderation strategy (something that will emerge over time).

Thoughts?

Given our policy here on Somersoft of aiming to keep discussion non-political (which is why political threads frequently get closed or deleted) ... I'm wondering if there is any interest in me starting up a separate discussion forum website for discussion of the economics and politics of investing?

The focus would be on discussing how the economy and political decision making affect our investing lives.

Naturally it would be a very different type of forum to Somersoft and it would need to develop its own moderation strategy (something that will emerge over time).

Thoughts?

It would certainly take away some of the hits that this site is currently getting.

To be honest... I wouldn't be interested.
I come here to learn all different aspects of investment.
'Economics and politics' are just small part of it which I don't have no control over it.
I think it is all good as long as the 'moderation' is in place to stop any unpleasant personal attacks on individuals.

Sim

I think its a great idea, sometimes the threads here become so involved that it loses people

If we can have good robust debate, without personal attacks, then it would be good.

Chris

I will stay SS being not keen to go to multiple sites. Politics of parties result in policies which have a relevant bearing on investments. SS should cater to the circumstances and if need be revise guidelines for posting. :)

To be honest... I wouldn't be interested.
I come here to learn all different aspects of investment.
'Economics and politics' are just small part of it which I don't have no control over it.
I think it is all good as long as the 'moderation' is in place to stop any unpleasant personal attacks on individuals.

^ ^ +1 for me.

It's a good idea, but I'd be unlikely to go looking at another site, so I'd vote no.

Debates do get heated, but the moderation is excellent. I also think that people need to keep in mind that as much as they may believe their argument, your chances of changing someone elses mind is minimal.

IDebates do get heated, but the moderation is excellent. I also think that people need to keep in mind that as much as they may believe their argument, your chances of changing someone elses mind is minimal.

Just to be a bit more specific here - we once had a policy of "no politics" (along with the "no religion" and several other taboo topics) here on Somersoft because 95% of the threads on those topics end up getting closed or deleted and cause a huge amount of work for the moderators when the real-estate content is often very minimal.

There have been discussions about re-implementing a total ban on political discussion on Somersoft (keep it just about real estate), so it's not a question about the quality of moderation, more a question of whether there is an interest in discussing these topics in another venue which is not subject to the same strict rules we have on Somersoft.

If we decide to continue to allow such discussion here on Somersoft, the question is moot, there is no real point (other than perhaps encouraging a broader discussion about Australian politics). However, if the decision is made to ban political discussion here, I would like to offer an alternative venue as an outlet for discussion for those who might find it useful.

Why not just have another section within this site for discussing how politics affects investing decisions? Obviously you are going to get some heated discussions, but heck, you get heated discussions on all matter of topics already. So long as personal attacks are kept at bay, it shouldn't be any different to what's already included. I mean, politics does come up from time to time already, doesn't it?

Personally I just couldn't be bothered going to another site, especially if it's only specifically politics being discussed. Puts me to sleep just thinking about it.

So long as personal attacks are kept at bay, it shouldn't be any different to what's already included.

This is exactly the problem ... some topics (especially politics, religion) are very emotive and some people are completely unable to separate personal attacks from meaningful discussion.

If there were no (or few) personal attacks, we wouldn't be having this discussion and politics would not be a problem topic, indeed discussion about it would be welcome and encouraged.

Personally I just couldn't be bothered going to another site, especially if it's only specifically politics being discussed. Puts me to sleep just thinking about it.

That's fine - most people who have commented with a similar attitude are probably not the target demographic for the site. You would only visit a site about politics if you were actually interested or passionate about the subject!

I wouldn't go to another site because on these topics most people have already made up their mind. It would be the same people saying the same things over and over with all the party stooges posting propaganda.

SS has a reputation and a standard established over many years, this is not easy to create but can be easily lost. I think the moderators do a great job and we all need to respect their efforts.

At times the regulars have discussions on other topics in the coffee lounge that do get a bit heated but we need to remember that the moderators are simply doing what they think is best for the forum in the long term and accept their rulings.

I think overall they do a great job and we all need to remember that this forum is generously provided free of charge by the Somers to discuss real estate.

We who enjoy the other topics just have to accept moderation if we get too far off the topic or too heated in our posts.

If it ain't broke don't fix it :D

Sim..if you have some spare time up your sleeve :p. A business forum would be beneficial. :)

http://bizq.com.au/ ... although you can't sign up right now because there is a spam-bot problem (the same spam-bots which have been targeting Somersoft), and I haven't had a chance to rewrite my anti-spam-bot tools that we use here on Somersoft to work with that forum software. It is high on my todo list though, since I need to have that working before I can get Somersoft v4 operational!

Give me a week or so and I'll hopefully have everything running smoothly again.

I wouldn't go to another site because on these topics most people have already made up their mind. It would be the same people saying the same things over and over with all the party stooges posting propaganda.

Isn't that what happens here? :p

The point is that not everyone has made up their mind and there is always room for debate. Our politicians spend most of their time disagreeing with each other and debating in parliament, I think it's only fair that the public get to disagree with each other too :D

If it ain't broke don't fix it

Nothing would change on Somersoft - nothing about property investing discussion on Somersoft needs fixing (although some updated forum software would be nice :rolleyes: )

Nothing would change on Somersoft - nothing about property investing discussion on Somersoft needs fixing
That includes current level of political discussions?
I would be disappointed if people can't discuss any political decisions affecting property investments.

Back