Economics, investing and politics

Personally I think there are plenty of discussion forums to discuss politics and economics. Many have areas where the effect on investments are also discussed. I don't see the need for another one.

I also believe SS worked best when the ban on political discussions was enforced more closely than it is now. There are plenty of places to discuss politics - so lets talk property. It's what this site is good at - the political threads are just dross by comparison anyway. The mods have a hard enough job as it is... no need to make it more difficult. Of course if there is a political issue that directly effects property (SD, LT etc) then fine.

Just my 2c.

That includes current level of political discussions?
I would be disappointed if people can't discuss any political decisions affecting property investments.

That's not my decision - forum policy is up to Jan and Ian (in consultation with the moderators) to decide what we will and won't allow.

As I mentioned, at least 95% of all political discussion currently ends in personal attacks and threads being closed or deleted.

There's enough political websites out there for people to post comments/discuss. Usually it results in lefty-love fests (like on The Age / SMH / ABC websites) or the complete opposite on places like Andrew Bolt's blog. I don't think diluting traffic is necessary as others have pointed out.

Given our policy here on Somersoft of aiming to keep discussion non-political (which is why political threads frequently get closed or deleted) ...

With all due respect, thats what conservatives always say. radicals, or 'liberal's' say that you cant 'keep politics out of it'. they say that everything is political.

Id suggest an overwhelming majority on forum members would agree they would like to 'keep politics out of it', but that in itself is signaling that the forum does indeed have a political agenda.....

Which is fine BTW. But I think it works pretty well so far, people can skip the political bits when they want to, or start a new thread if they want to jump in....

You could call the new political discussion/argument forum dazzsoft.com :)

But I agree that a seperate sub-forum or website would be good, it would be a shame for people to end up in slanging matches and hating each others politics, with this spreading into other threads and investment forums.

Back