Eeek! Expensive Roof Repairs

Hi Wise ones!

One of our tenants has reported a black mould on the roof of a bedroom, so I asked a roof tiler/restorer to check it out, thinking it may have been a ridgecapping issue. He rang today to say the tiles are old and porous and that water is seaping through the actual tiles.

His solution is to clean the roof, repoint, seal and then paint at a cost of $6100. I was a little flabbergasted! Can anyone see a cheaper option that will do the trick. I bought the house earlier in the year. The building report didn't mention any issues with the roof. The house is old, valued at around $300k.

Also can anyone give a quick description on what pointing involves?

Thanks in advance,

Allgood.

Sounds like you have cement roof tiles , they can absorb water after they get old
but not normally leak.
Suggest you look at any ridge capping or metal valleys and make sure the gutters
are working and clean.
Repointing the capping if its required.

There was a certain tile tie for far nth Qld that does cause water drips when
the tile ages and the joins fill with dirt and muck.

If the roof has sarking this should stop water penetrating , I suggest you get
to know your roof better and also get a few more quotes.

LOL. Most of the time these roof renovation mobs are a scam.

Concrete is porous, but it takes a LOT of water for them to absorb to the point of water penetrating all the way through.

It is much more likely you have

1) Broken tile(s)
2) Ridge capping breakdown
3) Rusted through/silted valleys and tile channels redirecting water under tiles
4) Poor roof ventilation retaining condensate

Get a roofer out who is interested in fixing the issue rather than selling roof painting services.

Inspect and repair broken tiles (replace if you can find matching profile) plus repointing and a roof ventilator (ie whirlybird) should be $3.5-4.5k

LOL. Most of the time these roof renovation mobs are a scam.

Get a roofer out who is interested in fixing the issue rather than selling roof painting services.

Agree wit dis.
As in your OP, ask a roof restoration co. to quote a roof leak....... don't expect anything less than a ridiculous quote for a complete roof renovation.
That's what they do.

A few years back I had a problem with cracked ridge tiles on d house and cracked corrugated fibro roof on d garage. I felt like cracking when I got those ridiculous quotes.

Fairdinkum, I fixed the prob myself for about 50 bucks. And to this day not a drop of water seeps thru. I got some roof sealant from bunnings, did a mickey mouse job sealing not only the outside but also the inside . Only "prob" was that I didn't realise the sealant comes in various colors to match the color of your tiles so my tiles look a little odd. The sealant is dispensed with a chalking gun.

This may be worth a try.

Daylight robbery.

Just had 120sqm roof done which incl 70new tiles and repointing etc. seal and paint. Cost less than 2.4k.

Get more quotes.

so I've now got 3 quotes...

1st one (as above around $6000.
2nd one is the same.
3rd one said its just because of crappy tin on an addition above where the leak is (makes sense) and will cost under $1000. - no repointing the tiles, no coating with water proof product, no replacing tiles.

Happy to go with contestant number 3 but worried it wont fix the problem. I guess if it doesn't I'll deal with it then.

Thoughts??

so I've now got 3 quotes...

1st one (as above around $6000.
2nd one is the same.
3rd one said its just because of crappy tin on an addition above where the leak is (makes sense) and will cost under $1000. - no repointing the tiles, no coating with water proof product, no replacing tiles.

Happy to go with contestant number 3 but worried it wont fix the problem. I guess if it doesn't I'll deal with it then.

Thoughts??
The last leak I had was old concrete tiles. The issue was that the metal gully was not installed properly. Installing the gully properly resolved the issue and there have been no more leaks. No need to touch the tiles.

In your case it is possible that the leak is occuring at the tin on the addition above the leak. Something else to consider is if there are leaks elsewhere. If not, the leak may be isolated to the bad tin.

We had some mould in a house that's been in our family about 25 years. Never had it before.

Got a roofer in who said the tiles were delaminating, requiring new roof... that will be $25K please (or something like that). Went to a second house we were renovating where there was an old water stain on the plaster and, strangely enough, that roof also need replacing for a similar amount. :rolleyes:

Got a builder mate to get his friend the roofer to look at both roofs; he said there is nothing wrong with them and they didn't need any work. I think it was simply some freak weather we had experienced that caused the mould and the water stain was old and it had been fixed.

We got our painter in to clean and paint the ceilings in the house with the mould issue, and he added a mould inhibitor to the paint... no problems since then.

We were lucky not to be royally ripped off. Thank goodness I have a fairly good BS meter.

Back