Eeek! I'm not covered for flood....in Bris...help?!?

Hi all,

We have a flat in Milton (Bris) just off the Park Rd cafe/restaurant area. It's on the 1st floor & I've just read my contents insurance policy which states I'm not covered for flood. (It's fully furnished). :eek:

I'm not panicking as it's pretty pointless at this stage. :eek:

Does anyone in the area (who is not being evacuated themselves) have any idea if the water has the potential to flood a 1st floor apartment?

Am listening to 3AW (talkback in Vic) trying to keep abreast of the situation. Latest was that a cbd caller advised the river was about to overflow its banks.

Thanks for your info

Not sure about how high they expect it to get, but Milton was one of the places they announced recently was getting evacuated. Hope you're property's ok! At least being on the 1st floor, you should be relatively safe.

Thanks luckyone & Nathan.

Yup, to top it off, heard there was going to be a high tide tonight/tomorrow too!

Really concerned for all the people up there & feel a bit selfish worrying about my IP at a time like this.

You can keep current via this website although it's having a hard time keeping up with web traffic.
http://highload.131940.qld.gov.au/#metropolitan

There are 3 streets currently flooded in Milton - some right by the cafe area. However if your unit is on the high side of the hill there and 1st floor you probably have a good chance that it will stay dry.

Oh Amadio,

Thank you for your reassuring words & the inside info on the area.

May I ask where the 'high side of the hill' is you mention...I'm on one of the corners of Gordon St if that makes sense?

I will keep checking the link you posted.

Thanks luckyone & Nathan.

Yup, to top it off, heard there was going to be a high tide tonight/tomorrow too!

Really concerned for all the people up there & feel a bit selfish worrying about my IP at a time like this.

Tides are lower tomorrow according to BOM

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/oceanography/tides/tide_predications.cgi

Graphic display here shows it lower tomorrow as well

http://tides.willyweather.com.au/qld/brisbane/brisbane-river--port-office-edward-st-ferry.html

I work on Park Rd in Milton. We had to get the heck out there, because the water was rising really fast. No, just kidding! When i left today, there was a bit of water around, but not much, but then I'm down the other end of Park Road, away from the river.

Thanks DEC! Appreciate your info very much. A bit relieved you describe this as 'high' too!

Thanks Mark Laszczuk...I'm down the end away form the river too so hoping the water stays at the 'bit' rather than the 'lot' end of the scale! Glad you got out ok!

I'm on one of the corners of Gordon St if that makes sense?

Ah, you have no problems. Most of Milton would be under water before you had anything to worry about.

How much are you asking in rent? I wouldn't mind renting a place that's a quick stroll to work rather than have to train it to Windsor every day. Is yours on the corner of Gordon and Sheehan?

I've got an IP in Auchenflower - also first floor though. When we purchased we were made aware of the 1974 floods so I got cover with Suncorp, who offer flood insurance. I'm more worried about the animals and missing people and people who think they're covered only to read the small print to find out they're not - so many people will be affected like that unfortunately.

Hi Mark,

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your info!

Our tenants have just signed another year's lease til Jan'12...I think rent is $365, osp, balcony, pool, bbq area....yeah, I think it's the one you're thinking of ;) ....will let you know if they leave :)

I applied for a job at a place on the corner of Graham and Park mid last year, which they offered to me. But I took a job in the city instead. Just started working on Park Rd a few months ago. Nice part of the world over there.

I'll keep an eye on the place for you *wink*.

I've got an IP in Auchenflower - also first floor though. When we purchased we were made aware of the 1974 floods so I got cover with Suncorp, who offer flood insurance. I'm more worried about the animals and missing people and people who think they're covered only to read the small print to find out they're not - so many people will be affected like that unfortunately.

Hoping yours is ok too RedCat!

And yes, I will be one of those changing landlords' insurance policy to include flood!

Hi
We have an ip in ipswich (house).I just checked my terri scheer building insurance and am surprised it doesnt cover Flood??
(Unless I am reading the wrong pdf on the website.)
Does anyone know what insurance company would cover this? Or can you specify that you would like this included.
Bit late now though.

My thoughts are with the people who are up there in this mess.

Cheers
phil

Thank you to everyone on this thread & other threads that provided flood map links & other info.

Just watching the news & it looks dreadful out there.

Echoing philh's post: our thoughts are with you, hoping there are no more casualties.

Hi
We have an ip in ipswich (house).I just checked my terri scheer building insurance and am surprised it doesnt cover Flood??
(Unless I am reading the wrong pdf on the website.)
Does anyone know what insurance company would cover this? Or can you specify that you would like this included.
Bit late now though.

My thoughts are with the people who are up there in this mess.

Cheers
phil

For a home/building insurance policy flood is usually an option which you pay an extra premium for usually along with accidental damage and fusion

Back