Effect of new VIC transport plan ...

Just reading the main highlights of today's plan ... it would seem that the big suburb winners would be ...

- Caroline Springs and Werribee (new train stations)
- Yarraville (getting big trucks off the roads)

... so one would assume good appreciation in the house prices down the track ?

The new plan made me smile as the link from Greensborough to Bulleen is the same one that was proposed when we were looking at land in Rosanna in 1963 at that time the land was available alongside a river, but various governments sold off all the with-held land for housing, so now they have to buy it back again!!!:D

I wonder if the same thing will happen to the land that was held in Panton Hill for a dam. The old Board of Works acquired all the land then one of our state governments decided we would never need another dam and sold it all!!!

Chris

Lamingtons

Have a look in today's Sun and you will see it follows straight off the end of the Freeway at Greensborough, and appears to goes straight across to Bulleen, following the original plan.

Chris

The do nothing Victorian Labour state government has had 5 transport plans the ten years they have been in office. More hot air to cloud the rear view mirrors.

Don't Hold Your Breath.

The do nothing Victorian Labour state government has had 5 transport plans the ten years they have been in office. More hot air to cloud the rear view mirrors.

Agreed, more hot air.

Don't base any buying decisions by way of locality upon what they are proposing. Just like the 2030 strategy to contain the urban sprawl that they are now letting spread to the never-never where there is no transport anyway.

At least with the 2030 initiative, the idea of investing in areas with good amenity and infrastructure would have been sound as investing criteria in any case. I would wait to see evidence of some works commencing before I would base any IP buying decisions on the projects they've proposed.

And now they are going to add lanes to the Westgate, a bridge that they report to have structural problems with the current vehicle load. These lanes will appear by dispensing with the emergency lanes :eek: according to reports...... what a sterling idea to clog this road further and ensure there is no access/egress when there is a breakdown and/or decent bingle.

Well the train stations proposed are planned to start construction in 2009.

So not long to tell if Brumby is fair dinkum or not. At least about this part of the plan. :)

Agreed, more hot air.

Don't base any buying decisions by way of locality upon what they are proposing. Just like the 2030 strategy to contain the urban sprawl that they are now letting spread to the never-never where there is no transport anyway.

At least with the 2030 initiative, the idea of investing in areas with good amenity and infrastructure would have been sound as investing criteria in any case. I would wait to see evidence of some works commencing before I would base any IP buying decisions on the projects they've proposed.

And now they are going to add lanes to the Westgate, a bridge that they report to have structural problems with the current vehicle load. These lanes will appear by dispensing with the emergency lanes :eek: according to reports...... what a sterling idea to clog this road further and ensure there is no access/egress when there is a breakdown and/or decent bingle.

Agree with all you say, but are there emergency lanes on the West Gate? I hadn't noticed. Not that I travel over it that often.

Agree with all you say, but are there emergency lanes on the West Gate? I hadn't noticed. Not that I travel over it that often.

Yes there is .. thin lanes on the side .. used by both broken down vehicles and jumpers ...

Its actually quite common to see broken down vehicles on the bridge .. its a steep incline and during summer, you can see a lot of older cars "give up" on the incline .. :)

Was Eastlink and Deer Park Bypass theirs or Jeffs? No sarcasam real question, I was in NSW when these started.

Peter

I think EastLink was Bracks. Seem to remember him promising no tolls, then getting elected and making it a toll road?

I remember driving city bound on the Eastern Fwy, before that election and hearing him say something about extending the Eastern. I also remember thinking "it's about time someone, extended the Eastern across to the Tulla". Whoops.

That's how good I am with attention to detail - and why I can't remember emergency lanes on the West Gate :p

Not that I work for the government but...the extra lanes on the Westgate are created by getting rid of emergency lanes and reducing the widths of the lanes. But as part of the project they put in a system of traffic lights above each lane. In case of an accident or breakdown, the lights come on with a red cross and close the lane effectively creating an emergency lane. The theory is, much better use of existing roadway because the emegency lane is used for general traffic unless there is actually an incident. Similar system to the tunnels around Melbourne.

The big ticket items are:
West Gate Bridge Alternative - Tunnel under Footscray Rd (part 1 of the full tunnel)
Peninsula Link - 16km Freeway between EastLink and Mornington Peninsula Fwy
Extension of train networks - Epping to South Morang, Cranbourne to Cranbourne East
North East Link - Freeway/Tunnel joining Eastern Freeway and Metro Ring Road
Outer Ring Road - Buying land reserves for Western Ring Rd
Tarneit Rail Connection - A train line from Weribee to Rockbank via Tarneit
Metro Rail System - A underground train tunnel from Footscray to St Kilda Rd

For me the key takeaways are
- Footscray, Kennsington, North Melbourne and South Melbourne will continue to be well serviced by public transport and even better served.
- Langwarrin, Baxter, Carrum Down will now have better access to rest of Melbourne via car
- Continued push to encourage growth west of the CBD by better quality rail and road infrastructure
- Yarraville, Seddon, Kingsville should have a reduction in trucks in local roads.

Agree with the rest though will anything actually happen.

Last edited:
Back