Election: Which way will it go?

Who will win the election

• Labor Party

Votes: 9 13.6%
  • Liberal Party

Votes: 55 83.3%
  • Other: Greens?! Minority Govt situation etc.

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Maybe this thread hasn't come up for a reason, but I'll set the cat amongst the pidgeons:

Who do you think is going to win the election?

Liberal.

I think the swing against Labor in SA will be bigger than anticipated - state Labor is really on the nose, many business sectors are struggling, the local medium term outlook appears poor and confidence regarding employment is down.

Things like rising power prices, the threat of losing ones job and day to day living affordability will be the deciding factors.

In other words people have been hit hard in the hip pocket and will respond accordingly.

Many would be scratching their heads too with being repeatedly told we are doing well economically.

I get the distinct feeling too that they think the problem lies with Labor itself, so not a Gillard Rudd thing. People just want all this to be over.

Obviously I see Liberal winning in the state elections as well.

So should we be betting our fortunes on a Liberal coalition win?

19% return - payable in a few weeks time - ? better than any IP

Tax free as well

http://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/politics

First you would have to find someone to take a worthwhile bet at a higher amount than the novelty market.

Something of about election bets

A contact from Melbourne, Andrew (full name withheld), tried exactly this exercise on Monday. And he does have $1 million. The odds were roughly the same for Andrew – although Centrebet's mystical odds appear to have shortened from $1.25 in the past few days.

Same outcome for Andrew. Our inquiries merely corroborated his claim that "the odds are not fair dinkum".

"For organisations prepared to assume a risk of only $720 it's a joke and a sick one," said the punter who found that only Sportsbet would take a bet – and a small one at that: $3000 at $1.24. Centrebet and Tom Waterhouse would not offer him any odds at all, despite their display.

"Bookies betting at say Flemington or Randwick on the rails are obligated to lay a horse for a certain amount. I accept that 'laying off' in the case of political bets is more difficult. But why don't they say in their odds display that they will lay a bet to lose a certain amount? If that were published at say $720, no one would take them seriously."

So the Centrebet rep went off to inquire with his boss if they would take any size bet on the Coalition.

"You will have to start an account first and there is a whole procedure [to go through]," came the reply.

First you would have to find someone to take a worthwhile bet at a higher amount than the novelty market.

Something of about election bets

A contact from Melbourne, Andrew (full name withheld), tried exactly this exercise on Monday. And he does have $1 million. The odds were roughly the same for Andrew – although Centrebet's mystical odds appear to have shortened from $1.25 in the past few days.

Same outcome for Andrew. Our inquiries merely corroborated his claim that "the odds are not fair dinkum".

"For organisations prepared to assume a risk of only $720 it's a joke and a sick one," said the punter who found that only Sportsbet would take a bet – and a small one at that: $3000 at $1.24. Centrebet and Tom Waterhouse would not offer him any odds at all, despite their display.

"Bookies betting at say Flemington or Randwick on the rails are obligated to lay a horse for a certain amount. I accept that 'laying off' in the case of political bets is more difficult. But why don't they say in their odds display that they will lay a bet to lose a certain amount? If that were published at say $720, no one would take them seriously."

So the Centrebet rep went off to inquire with his boss if they would take any size bet on the Coalition.

"You will have to start an account first and there is a whole procedure [to go through]," came the reply.

I have just placed 2k on Coalition with sportsbet. The return should be 19% tax free once a liberal candidate is sworn in.

Yes; Liberal for me.

Side question; which issue will be the undoing/doing of the Campaign?

Ruddy's gone out guns blazing on the Boats already...has it altered the thinking of average Joe Thong,

or will it be the CT?

Or other?

So why not $2M?

Because you should never gamble more than you can afford to lose - even a "sure bet" isn't sure.

I think the Coalition but it won't be as easy now that Rudd is back, and they need to be rock solid in what they present to the electorate. The people are starting to get tired of being lied to with false promises

Well today if you look at the polls then liberals will win but there is still plenty of time for that to change. If anyone other than Tony Abbott was leading the liberals then I would certainly consider them, but I don't trust Abbott in the slightest and he comes across as a fake to me and hiding his real intentions. I have to give credit to his marketing department that have molded him to appeal to females more over the years and have given him speech lessons, as he now has this fake softer voice to hide his usually stressed and angered voice.

I'm happy with the country, I'm not obsessed with the economy like many Australians who were brain washed in the Howard/Costello era to think that a strong economy is the most important thing in the world for every Australian. But in saying that our country has done well to still be so strong compared to other countries and the reality is China is not so good so it is expected to see some downturn and that is why I believe the sooner we stop relying on China the better.... I'm happy when our dollar is falling even though I travel around the world as I work. Here in Asia my dollar is low but it means I should spend less as my income is higher since it comes though from the USA mainly. I trust Kevin, I know him and what we see is what we get, he is smart and I would much rather see him running our country than unknown Abbott who will be just a puppet for Murdoch, China, Rinehart & co. So yes of course plenty of people here with money will want to see Liberals win so they get richer. But the question is, are you ready to sell your soul? ;)

Property investors should really be happy with the way our country is right now. There has never been a better time to buy with such low rates for a long time...

Maybe this thread hasn't come up for a reason, but I'll set the cat amongst the pidgeons:

Who do you think is going to win the election?

Looking back over the last few it does not always go the way people think,and who ever gets in there is several hard decisions that have to made if any party have any hope of repairing the budget,the faster the interest rate falls the faster baby boomers will apply for the age pension
I voted others..

Back