electric bikes

Hi all,

I know this may go against a recent thread about getting a new car, but does anyone have any experience with pedal assisted electric bikes (bicycles)?

If so, how are they? Are they good for commuting short distances, ie 2 x 10km trips per day on flat terrain - and do their advertised claims/specs stack up in real life?

Thanks

g

To answer your question... no

If you're only travelling 10km twice a day, I wouldn't bother with an electric bike... think of the health benefits of having to work a little bit to get to your destination. Your body will thank you for it ;)
Besides, you can get a decent bike for around $350-$400 whereas an electric looks like they'd set you back anywhere from a thousand upwards

g

I haven't used them but I've seen them and they don't go very fast so I wouldn't recommend them for road driving. Sooner or later some car will run you over and it will be very painful.

Unless there is an off road bike track you can use?

have you considered a motorbike (as in petrol).

I own both a motorbike and a racing pushbike i consider the motorbike safer, although i can go 150+kmh on it i am wearing some of the best safety gear avaliable for it, where as i can clock 40+kmh on the racebike and am wearing thin cotton and some foam and kevlar coving half of my head.

I ride the motorbike to work everyday, takes me a few minutes at either end to get changed but i am quick at it now. Took me 15 minutes to get from surrey hills to cbd today with such light traffic, normally its 30 minutes door to door.

The better half rides one to work in the warmer weather about 3K. If the battery goes flat the extra weight is a killer for the legs uphill. Battery normal lasts about 3 hours solid use time. Heaps faster than a normal bike and so much easier to keep up with the cars at 50kph. Look for one that the battery easily unplugs and can be taken inside to recharge.

I've just put one togethor myself. I have a 24km commute each way (48km/day). Looking to dump one vehicle.

10km should be fine. Performance varies greatly between suppliers/makers/equipment. I can't really give any recommendations on complete bikes.

Do you have a normal bike? If so give that a go first. Not a lot different to an electric one (similar issues regarding showing before work, rain etc), but effort/tiredness will be lower with an electric.

Hi all,

I know this may go against a recent thread about getting a new car, but does anyone have any experience with pedal assisted electric bikes (bicycles)?

If so, how are they? Are they good for commuting short distances, ie 2 x 10km trips per day on flat terrain - and do their advertised claims/specs stack up in real life?

Thanks

g

I have been riding one of these: www.electric-bike.com.au for quite a few months now. Originally as a bit of fun, but with the rechargeable strapped on I can get about all over the place pretty easily. Very enjoyable, I'd recommend one. I believe a local council in the ACT has bought a bunch of them or similar for staff to use which is an interesting fleet vehicle :)

Back