Electric or town gas ???

Hi all.

I will be picking some of the final items for my IP build and as i have town gas running past my new block it got me thinking.

What do people prefer. Is town gas cheaper ?

I was thinking a at a minimum i would provide gas outlets for heaters , gas cook top and a BBQ.
But what about the oven ???
I would go a gas hot water system also but its not included in the price.

What are peoples thoughts ?

Cheers

I would go town gas if possible. It is cheaper than electric, and for cooking, I much prefer instant gas to waiting... waiting... waiting... electric hotplates :D.

Having said that, gas used to be really cheap, but it is getting more costly as time goes by (like electricity is).

We have gas hotplates, but electric oven. You can still get gas ovens, but it seems the electric oven is the choice of those who like to cook, probably for ease of getting the correct temperature. I'm no great cook, so I wouldn't know :D.

We have instant gas hot water. No storage.

I would go town gas if possible. It is cheaper than electric, and for cooking, I much prefer instant gas to waiting... waiting... waiting... electric hotplates
Induction hot plates are quicker than gas. Had an induction cooktop for a few months now. Still not an expert but they are great.

But in an IP? Ceramic electric cooktop. It's just simpler.

Getting a single gas oven (rather than a joint upright although even they are difficult) is bloody expensive and difficult.

Havent used induction but heard great things, otherwise we always use gas were possible.

PPOR - yes ... IP - no

I asked the question here http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76311 and decided to bite the bullet and pay the extra $1000 or so for an induction top (needed a 900mm one to replace an old wide top in perfectly OK benchtops). Everything I've read suggest that ceramic tops are all looks and otherwise are a pain for cooking and cleaning. Hopefully good quality appliances will last well, justify a little more on the rent and make for a faster letting. I will know in a few weeks!

Everything I've read suggest that ceramic tops are all looks and otherwise are a pain for cooking and cleaning.

That surprises me. We replaced a 12 y old, working ceramic cook top because we bought a new stove. It had been well used but still only a few marks on it. As for cooking, I assumed it would be more efficient than coils because they were enclosed. Mrs Fish would cook more than many tenants and she had no complaint.

For a PPOR.
Would be cheaper to go electric in the long run if you have a decent solar grid
connect on the roof.

That surprises me.

Surprises me too - my current glass cooktop is at least 20-25 years old and still work fine. Looks a little beaten up around the edges, but the surface is still perfect.

Sorry SF ... seeings as it's an IP, and your not paying electricity anyhow, electric would be much better as easier to keep clean and harder to damage.

A lot depends on the IP and it's location ... top of the range would expect induction or gas - general joe would expect electric

Gas hotplates, electric ovens in the newer constructions, solar hot water services, along with gas hot water services, ducted gas heating(s), evaporative cooling in the bigger builds, split systems in smaller places, but always utilise the town gas.

Home I have an all gas stove, (bottled gas). In fact it's about to get kicked into gear for garlic, ginger, onion, soy, chilli lamb shank roasts.

Sorry SF ... seeings as it's an IP, and your not paying electricity anyhow, electric would be much better as easier to keep clean and harder to damage.
I thought that's what I was saying. I used the word "simpler" I think. :)

I wouldn't go induction in a rental. What happens when your new tenant's copper based cookware they got as a wedding present doesn't work? Do YOU have to find some iron based ones because they are broke after paying the bond?

Ceramic is a no-brainer IMO.

I've got one of those big, fancy gas things that is supposed to make me a better cook (my husband can dream :D) but I hate it. It's a complete and utter pain in the backside to clean and I'd swap it for my old ceramic electric cooktop anyday. Sadly, the fancy gas ovens/cooktops are expensive so it won't be replaced and I must admit that it LOOKS good but, unlike everybody I know, I don't like cooking with gas. If a ceramic cooktop is wiped clean as soon as it cools, they'll last for ages without any marks. As always, it's luck of the draw as to whether a tenant will look after either...

I do, however, prefer gas for hot water - although cheaper, it doesn't seem to be as cheap as I was lead to believe however.

Back