Electricity bill

Heard a distressed IP owner on a radio talk show who had a tenant abandon a property, owing rent and in arrears with the electricity utility to the tune of $1100.
The utility has disconnected the power and refuses to reconnect until the IP owner pays the bill.
What I don't understand is that the utility sets up a contract with the electricity user, the tenant, and not the property owner so why should the owner be responsible for the tenants' unpaid electricity bill?
Further, for the bill to reach an amount the the tenant had possibly not paid for any electricity while in the property (had been there since Jan 2001
Has anyone else had the same problem and how did you resolve it.
I guess while the power is disconnected the electricity utility holds all the cards
I certainly felt for the person as they had lost rent, damage to the property and excessive unpaid bills. You gotta be careful who u put in IPs

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Not sure about this one but do know that proper landlord insurance would alleviate most of the pain.

Thorpey!
"Better to have it and not want it, than to want it and not have it"

Reply: 2

Thanks to deregulation of the utilities industry the distressed owner should be able to source their power supply from a different company....

Cheers,
Robert

Get your Property Inspection Reports @
http://www.CreativeFinance.com.au

Back