Electricity rates

Previous peak rate : 16.33 c/kWh
New peak rate : 19.62 c/kWh

Previous off peak rate : 6.22 c/kWh
New off peak rate : 7.48 c/kWh

We are with origin energy.

However - get this - since switching to offpeak our electricity bill has gone UP while I had estimated about $20 worth of savings. Turns out our service charge has doubled since switching to offpeak, which adds $40 to our bill, resulting in a net gain of $20 per quarter.

For the last quarter we have been diligently running most appliances (eg. washing machine, dishwasher) in the off peak period! and our bill has still gone up by 20 per quarter (I have already ignored the effect of the electricity price rise in my calcs)

hmmm, time to switch back from off-peak to onpeak??!?

I was like you and thought Ok I will start using some equipment during off peak.
Problem is the power points for the equipment you want to run need to
be run through the off peak meter.
The only things that are set for off peak are Hotwater and sometimes pool pumps.

If I ever build a new house I'll make sure it has off peak power points through out the house.

Last edited:
I suspect there will be a lot of electricity posts when the bills start arriving due to the increases in electricity charges.

My NSW rates from my bill as follows.

Integral Energy Supplier
old offpeak $0.046141
new offpeak $0.048569
residential $0.107552
new residential $0.126355

The above was what I copied from my account.
The way everyone else has quoted is different.
I presume to compare mine to others it should read as follows.
4.61 c/kWh

If this is the case it would seem I'm on a good thing with my provider
Seems strange my new rates are still cheaper than people's old rates.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The above was what I copied from my account.
The way everyone else has quoted is different.
I presume to compare mine to others it should read as follows.
4.61 c/kWh

If this is the case it would seem I'm on a good thing with my provider
Seems strange my new rates are still cheaper than people's old rates.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Who is your provider ???? These are EXCELLENT RATES !

Who is your provider ???? These are EXCELLENT RATES !

I'm with Integral.

Im going to check with some neighbours to see if there rates are similar.
It looks like Im being under charged compared to the few postsers who
have shown there energy rates.

http://www.choiceswitch.com.au/default.php

This may be a handy site for comparisons:)

Thanks. we used that website about 3 months ago - went with Origin Energy's 1 month free.

However I'm still confused about the offpeak issue. nww - are you saying that all the times I stayed up till 11pm to run the dishwasher and washing machine - it was still using on-peak energy?!?!?

The latest breakdown of my onpeak vs offpeak is
600 kWh - Onpeak
544 kWh - Offpeak
Bill days = 106

So it seems that the our offpeak hot water system must be most of the 544 kWh offpeak, then.

Technically we'd still be saving money by switching to offpeak if they hadn't doubled the service charge from 34 cents per day for an onpeak bill to 68 cents per day for an onpeak/offpeak bill.

Thanks. we used that website about 3 months ago - went with Origin Energy's 1 month free.

However I'm still confused about the offpeak issue. nww - are you saying that all the times I stayed up till 11pm to run the dishwasher and washing machine - it was still using on-peak energy?!?!?

The latest breakdown of my onpeak vs offpeak is
600 kWh - Onpeak
544 kWh - Offpeak
Bill days = 106

So it seems that the our offpeak hot water system must be most of the 544 kWh offpeak, then.

Technically we'd still be saving money by switching to offpeak if they hadn't doubled the service charge from 34 cents per day for an onpeak bill to 68 cents per day for an onpeak/offpeak bill.

This was a response I got below when I asked about offpeak.
Would seem you have been wasting your time staying up late.

-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Highlands hermit

Originally Posted by nww View Post
This must be a big burden to him and I feel terrible as my biggest problem this morning is to try and cut down on my energy use.

Does off peak apply to the whole house at certain times late at night or
does it only apply to hot water.
Thanks.
Oh, you had one of *those* electricity bills too did you? Just got our first bill for this house, highest we've EVER had. Ouch. I'm waiting for our very first water bill, I don't even know what water costs per whatever it is they charge you for water by, let alone what our average usage is going to be to try and work it out in advance.

Off peak is a certain time of day that depends on how cluey your meter is (ours decides offpeak is from about 3pm - don't ask me what time zone it thinks we are in) but it is supposed to be in the middle of the night. You have to specifically wire something to offpeak. And yes, usually it is only hot water. If your entire house magically got turned to offpeak at midnight, we'd run all our heaters at night time only instead of running them at nasty peak times like we do now and getting big scarey electricity bills to prove it.

I think you can get fancy offpeak heaters too but winter is almost over, not gunna happen. I am SO getting a gas heater in the next house.

Hmm, that's a pain to find out. Oh well. Luckily staying up till 11pm to turn on the dishwasher wasn't too onerous. Gee, all this electricity stuff is a bit confusing isn't it?!

Off peak is a certain time of day that depends on how cluey your meter is (ours decides offpeak is from about 3pm - don't ask me what time zone it thinks we are in) but it is supposed to be in the middle of the night. You have to specifically wire something to offpeak.

So.....how do you find out what time your meter decides it's off peak?

It's good to see electricity start to be sold at roughly what it costs to produce, distribute and retail reliably. Prices have been held too low for too long. It makes the reality come as a bit of a shock - bit like keeping your rents below market in that regard...

My electricity bills are usually @700 per quarter. Usually due to the jacuzzi kicking in. We kick about 100 a f/n auto so it doesnt kill us when it comes in. I might have to dig around and find the bill as I am pretty sure our year is up end of this month.

when you come off your origin deal for a year you then have to ring them back up and re-do it, or is it an automatic rollover

Or is it a constant re-negotiation with whoever

Back