Electricity rates

Hiya all, just wandering ...

I switched to Origin Energy in Feb this year as they were offering a month free after 12months. Sounded pretty good.

Just received latest bill from Origin and it shows that from 30June onwards the rates has increased. Assume this has happened across the board for all electricity providers ?

Previous peak rate : 14.62 c/kWh
New peak rate : 19.35 c/kWh

Previous off peak rate : 8.12 c/kWh
New off peak rate : 9.74 c/kWh

I thought rates were regulated ? Would be interested to hear if the rates above are competitive.

I suspect there will be a lot of electricity posts when the bills start arriving due to the increases in electricity charges.

My NSW rates from my bill as follows.

Integral Energy Supplier
old offpeak $0.046141
new offpeak $0.048569
residential $0.107552
new residential $0.126355

While I don't know what price mine is, I do know that I just received the lates bill & it was over $1k. I don't know how those that live pay to pay can pay rates like that.

Skater thats incredible:eek:
I got mine last week and its a 100% increase and we were away during some of that time. Have contacted the power company and they are looking into it and l have now discovered nearly everyone in our area has had a huge bill. Maybe there is a new meter reader in our area that has got it wrong. Hope so.
1k l still cant believe that. Where,s the candles?
cheers
yadreamin

Skater thats incredible:eek:

Impressed was NOT a word that came to mind when I opened the thing. I was expecting it to be high, because the new PPOR has a pool, so the pump runs a lot and we have ducted air-con, so being the winter bill it would usually be high, but I NEVER expected that.:(

Impressed was NOT a word that came to mind when I opened the thing. I was expecting it to be high, because the new PPOR has a pool, so the pump runs a lot and we have ducted air-con, so being the winter bill it would usually be high, but I NEVER expected that.:(

I would also have been unimpressed.

Skater, I have a pool and ducted aircon. My last power bill (a week or so ago) was $340.00. Saying that, there is only two of us left in the house and we are both at work during the day. Even so....

There are 4 of us here.

The teenagers seem to come & go at all hours AND have their lights on all the time, although I can't see that eating up nearly $700 of electricity.

There are a few things that never get switched off from the power source. TV's (3), computer, phone chargers, microwave. Again, I don't think those few things would eat that much, but who knows.

Most people I know have bills in the $300-400 range.:(

There are a few things that never get switched off from the power source. TV's (3), computer, phone chargers, microwave. Again, I don't think those few things would eat that much, but who knows.

We don't turn those things off at the wall either. Only one TV but it's a monster plasma (shock, horror!!)

Our power bill almost halved when the kids moved out, so take heart.

Our bill was $800 :eek: $1k for winter quarter last year :eek::eek::eek:.

2 Adults, 1 toddler and 1 new born. We have a pool but I only run pump for 4hrs a day. Next thing is to check if pool pump is hooked up to 'off peak' meter.

Our hot water is solar and booster switch is off during sunny days.

I think it's time to invest in some device that allows me to monitor usage.

our power bill is regularly up around the $700 mark and we use gas as primary heat source. I think most of it goes on my aquarium lights... i want to see if i can get a solar tube to light it naturally but it would be difficult, I think the answer would be no. Anyway with power rates set to soar I am bracing for regular bills well over $1k --it's just the reality of the world we live in. Wait till all this carbon emissions legislation kicks in!

Perth:

A1 tariff charges

Tariff Charges From 1 July 2009
A1
Supply charge - cents per day

Supply charge for additional homes* - cents per day

Electricity charge - cents per unit

the quarter we switched to those flouro globe thingos (warm white, none of this cool daylight crap) our power bill came down nearly 40%.

an 8W Philips globe pumps out the same light as a 100W incandescant in my house - so why would i not switch?

Our bill was $800 :eek: $1k for winter quarter last year :eek::eek::eek:.

2 Adults, 1 toddler and 1 new born. We have a pool but I only run pump for 4hrs a day. Next thing is to check if pool pump is hooked up to 'off peak' meter.

Our hot water is solar and booster switch is off during sunny days.

I think it's time to invest in some device that allows me to monitor usage.

Success, you need you get yourself one of these:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MS6155&keywords=ms6155&form=KEYWORD

Would be good if everyone was to show what price their energy supplier is charging per KW.

As per original post ...

Previous peak rate : 14.62 c/kWh
New peak rate : 19.35 c/kWh

Previous off peak rate : 8.12 c/kWh
New off peak rate : 9.74 c/kWh

Previous peak rate : 16.33 c/kWh
New peak rate : 19.62 c/kWh

Previous off peak rate : 6.22 c/kWh
New off peak rate : 7.48 c/kWh

We are with origin energy.

However - get this - since switching to offpeak our electricity bill has gone UP while I had estimated about $20 worth of savings. Turns out our service charge has doubled since switching to offpeak, which adds $40 to our bill, resulting in a net gain of $20 per quarter.

For the last quarter we have been diligently running most appliances (eg. washing machine, dishwasher) in the off peak period! and our bill has still gone up by 20 per quarter (I have already ignored the effect of the electricity price rise in my calcs)

hmmm, time to switch back from off-peak to onpeak??!?

Back