Elf's 3br cottage budget reno begins

Have a few of the floors out now and been advised that two of the floors are good enough to keep so I've been able to cancel some of the plywood sheets I have on order. One floor is still baltic but too damaged to polish, so we're going to get it sanded level to put floating floors over. Floor guy gave me the number of a bloke who can finish pulling up the baltic and might buy the boards off us for a small amount. Between these two, we've got more money freed up and we're now planning to put floating floors throughout the house instead of just sealing the plywood, which will look *much* nicer.

The front room floor had more than half the joists missing (but bearers completely intact, go figure) so we're replacing those with treated pine. The kitchen floor turned out to also have severe termite damage under the lino, but it also had bad moisture damage as unlike the front rooms there is very little space under the boards. In one corner the floorboards were sitting right on what looked like brick paving, and they were REALLY badly cupped. With the hallway at the back being concrete and not quite level (it looks like it was once an external path, so it slopes away from the house), the plan now is to raise the floor in the kitchen over the concrete so the entire kitchen floor is plywood, and will be much easier to put vinyl over.

Unfortunately this will mean the floor ends up about 2 inches higher than its current level - no biggie, just means the back door will have a small step onto the verandah. However, the big downside is that the floor cannot be raised 2 inches without the big old wood stove getting in the way. Apparently it is a really amazing top of the line woodstove (I don't know a thing about woodstoves but that's what every visiting tradie has said) so I'm going to try and sell the thing, buyer to remove.

In that corner there was one joist that was damn close to buried (I guess the boards were nailed to it once before they got eaten) and there was about a square metre of just ... bricks. The boards were simply sitting on these bricks ... and then there was a joist on the other side (about a metre from the buried joist), barely clearing the ground by an inch or so. The rest of the house has little dwarf walls under the floors, proper bearers, and almost 2 foot of space between the ground and the boards. This room is a more recent addition. I think we'll be digging out some of the soft dirt that is under that room's floor just so some air gets in there.

So, we've got most of the new floors in and have made a good start on the outside landscaping. Today we were looking at the kitchen ceiling.

The kitchen ceiling is beige gloss masonite. Big sheets, kind of sagging off in a very unattractive fashion, with half-round over the joins, also kind of sagging off in a very unattractive fashion. It looks *awful*. My theory was, since the subfloor bearers had been extended by a metre, that someone had made the kitchen bigger and instead of buying more boards (you could see old cedar boards coming out from under the masonite and are painted bright orange in the hallway) they had gone over the boards with masonite and painted it beige.

Since we had to pull off the cornices anyway because they are so water damaged from where the chimney was before we knocked it off and fixed the roof, we decided to pull off some of the masonite. And what do you know?

I was right. 1 metre of thick masonite under the painted stuff, the rest of the ceiling is cedar boards. We went to the hardware store, they still sell pine in the same matchboard profile, albeit a little narrower, so we're going to rip off all the masonite, clean up the boards, paint them white and the room will look SO much better for it. We're slowly stripping the house of all the recent god-awful horrid badly-done renovations and the place looks so much nicer already. The attached photo is the nice straight boards showing through the horrible saggy masonite, just try and imagine the beige, that was taken with a phone.

Currently still waiting for a plumber, and trying to arrange getting an electrician to come for the rewire with the entire kitchen in the back of a hire ute.

Attachments

• Photo0137.jpg
    Photo0137.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 104
I do so love a good reno. My, what potential you have here, and what a challenge. I do feel for you waiting such a long time for a plumber. You could have done enough of an apprenticeship by now, to do it yourself.;)

Seriously, one would have thought plumbers were easier to get. What a pain for you.

The IP is in a one-plumber town in the middle of a building boom, the plumber is flat-strap and then some, as are the plumbers in nearby towns. The hardware store pointed me at an old bloke who is a retired plumber but since the house has an order on it and this guy might not be licensed I think I'll keep waiting.

If need be, when we get the house revalued to get more money for the subdivision, if the plumber hasn't come by then we'll use some of that money to import a plumber from Adelaide.

elf hows things going?
ill have more pics for you this week :)
is that block still for sale? i hope so as ill be comming to an end of my reno in a few weeks and getting ready to grab another

I planted tomatoes in the backyard of the cottage today and dug up the smallest horseshoe I've ever seen. Ponyshoe!

Unsurprisingly, given the price, that block is still for sale, there's only 3 properties in the town that have got 'stuck' without selling ... that one, and two that are over $300,000 (one of which is like subdivision potential x 1000 and the other is just overpriced).

Betting the owner isn't going to budge though, or the mould has scared all the prospective buyers off.

I planted tomatoes in the backyard of the cottage today and dug up the smallest horseshoe I've ever seen. Ponyshoe!

Unsurprisingly, given the price, that block is still for sale, there's only 3 properties in the town that have got 'stuck' without selling ... that one, and two that are over $300,000 (one of which is like subdivision potential x 1000 and the other is just overpriced).

Betting the owner isn't going to budge though, or the mould has scared all the prospective buyers off.

Think ill be comming down to look at it very soon,
tiling is 1/2 done, plasterboard is 90% done,
kitchen is in, rendering is done, sub base for the floating floor is done.
just need some trimmings, finish setting and tiling then painting, carpet floor n doors :)

Been waiting a month for a loan to do the bigger things - finally got it today after pestering the bank a lot because it had been 'cancelled' ... stupid internet loans. So we're going to run off and get the cabinetmaker in (been quoted $4500 for a new kitchen, installed), buy floor coverings, an oven, and we're still waiting on the plumber to come look at the indoor plumbing that needs doing. Also waiting on the electrician.

We were thinking of reroofing but it is a bit too expensive at this stage, screwing down the roof where the nails were loose has stopped the water getting in, so I guess we'll just reroof next year sometime. Maybe steel prices will drop too.

Surveyors are out doing a preliminary pre-approval thingummy for the council to look at since we're a tad non-compliant. I'm going to need to move the septic tank and the electricity connection to the house, which sucks, and means there's a limit to the landscaping that can be done outside if there's going to be some major trenching happening.

And I can't think of what colour to paint the outside of the house. Every other house around is cream and heritage red or cream and heritage green and they are such BORING colour combinations. The inside is white and beige, maybe white/beige/chocolate? Hrm. Decisions. Have to pick kitchen colours and curtain colours and laminate floor colours too. Gah! Neutrals! My PPoR is all reds and oranges and yellows and other lovely strong colours, since the place is worth diddly squat so I can paint it any colour I like and not affect the value or saleability of the place.

And the house opposite the cottage on the same sized land (but two alotments) is for sale for $169k, very solid house and nice on the outside but very dated inside - 60s kitchen, wood panelling and shaggy carpet. To get the reno loan ours was formally valued at $90k, not really surprising since it has no kitchen whatsoever and most of the house is still bright blue with interesting patterns where the chips in the wall are filled. I paid $65k in July.

Back