Elizabeth Downs -Hot lead for low cost Mortgagee Sale

Having worked in the northern areas for 30 years measuring and quoting for blinds and built in robes i can agree with you about the cracking of homes. Always found Eliz North to be the worst.

Don`t know whether the "Floating Foundations" were engineered that way or just a fast way to build the homes at the time for the many shiploads of 10 bob tourists that were coming out from the mother country to populate Elizabeth.

Stangman.

Guys you got me looking at buying up there. I don't like the Floating Slabs though. I also found this info, its like a "Feral Index"

SEIFA by Local Government Area
SEIFA by small areas

SEIFA index of disadvantage
City of Playford's small areas
(ranked from greatest to least disadvantaged) 2006 SEIFA index of disadvantage
Elizabeth South 705.1
Davoren Park - Elizabeth West 736.8
Elizabeth Grove 742.0
Playford North Urban Renewal area 742.9
Smithfield Plains 746.9
Elizabeth North 784.5
Elizabeth Park 784.6
Smithfield 785.1
Elizabeth East 804.4
Elizabeth Vale 805.0
Elizabeth Downs 816.8
Elizabeth 827.6
City of Playford 885.6
Munno Para - Munno Para West - Munno Para Downs 888.2
Virginia - Waterloo Corner - Buckland Park 916.4
Penfield - Penfield Gardens - MacDonald Park 958.9
Andrews Farm 962.6
Craigmore 994.2
Blakeview 1001.2
Angle Vale 1046.1
Hillbank 1046.9
One Tree Hill - Rural East

The soil in Elizabeth is highly reactive. The problem was solved by having no footings.

I saw it: They would rake the grass and leaves off the top and pour some concrete to go under each wall. I assume the idea was that the soil could shrink and swell as much as it liked but the house would "float" as if it was on a surfboard. My semi-detached only had modest cracks between us and our neighbours but some of my mates could talk to theirs. They couldn't quite pass cigarettes through the firewall though. :D

That doesn't really make sense. The problems encountered with footings supporting walls is usually inadequate stiffness. Having a footing with no stiffness should make the problems even worse.

Cheapie for the Renovators

Here is another cheapie at Elizabeth Park needing Renovation -

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-elizabeth+park-109548161

Massive block size of 924M2 with a frontage of 27metres and depth of 39m.

It is very close to the shopping centre and primary school . This suburb is undergoing extensive redevelopment with many new homes in the area.

Price is listed at $169,950 but "All Genuine Offers Considered". Could be a good buy - but do your own due diligence.

Our Semi detached Home at Elizabeth Vale settles this Friday. Been busy making our own Security Window Screens and the Roller Shutters have already arrived. We will install these ourselves over the weekend, clean up the yard and then begin repairing a few cracks inside and paint inside and out.
Will tackle the council over the huge gum tree after the weekend. Will also fit side carport and rear verandah over the next few weeks.
My brother will move in early March so would like to have it all ready for him.

Cannot find anywhere on this Forum to document our mini makeover. Am i missing the correct place for it? Guess i could just make a Wordpress Blog and provide a Link?

We intend to use this property as a type of Template with the intention of duplicating the same thing in other Semi Detached Homes around the area. Then we will know our exact costings, and by having the property valued - will know how much equity can be gained.

Looking forward to rolling up the sleeves.

Stangman.
077.jpg

Price Reduction... Under 200k Elizabeth Vale

Came across this property on Realestate.com.au today. May be of interest to somebody -

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-elizabeth+vale-109196011

It had been listed previously for 204k-210k. Asking price has now been reduced to 187k. This is value buying in the area as long as it is structurally sound. ( Do your own due diligence )
I rang the agent about the property a couple of weeks ago and at that time they seemed to be having trouble with an unco-operative owner. Sounds like that problem may now be overcome. I did not pursue it at the time after hearing this, and not currently buying ourselves..

Block size is 767m2 and is a corner block. Quite a good area of the Vale too, close to hospital, shops and primary school. I have not been past the house to check it out - but can do if anybody asks.

As always - do your own research and inspection.

Stangman

Last edited:
I've went up and looked at some properties on the weekend. I was focusing mostly on semi detached in the sub $150 k range renting for about $200k.

Unfortunately so far the signs have not been promising. Of the three I saw, they had issues such as salt damp, leaking roof with signs of structural distress) and sloping, bouncy floors (indicating significant movement of the foundation and footing). The movement is significant enough that I'd say the resulting cracks in walls, ceilings, etc would be very large (even maybe in the intolerable range). These issues are larger costs in my mind that would prevent me buying.

Good news is that two of the maisonettes I saw were fairly well kept. The third reeked of urine though.

Early days yet, but I would advise caution in looking at properties there. Not that it's all bad, but due to the age and mode of construction you'd want to pick up something in reasonable structural nick to avoid big bills and headaches later.

I would advise caution in looking at properties there. Not that it's all bad, but due to the age and mode of construction you'd want to pick up something in reasonable structural nick to avoid big bills and headaches later.
That is why I raised the issue of the footings earlier in the thread. It was 45 years ago I was there and had no interest or knowledge of building.

The accuracy of my observation could be easily checked so I thought it reasonable to raise the matter. Your comments reinforce mine though.

Well .... I have to tell you that we are extremely happy with our recent purchases in the area.
Settled on the house at Elizabeth Vale just over a week ago. At the time it looked like this -

014-5.jpg

First job was to add some security. Made my own security screens and had them ready to install the day we took posession -

004-6.jpg

Spent some time cleaning the messy front yard which now looks like this -

010-9.jpg

008-7.jpg

Yesterday my son and i fitted Roller Shutters -

010-8.jpg

Next comes painting inside and out, followed by Carport with Electric Roller Door, Rear Verandah etc.

House is structurally sound with just a few cracks to repair inside during the painting process.

Feel very comfortable with the property and chomping at the bit to buy more.

More photos in this photobucket album -

http://photobucket.com/mustang_68

Stangman.

Great work Stangman, love the progress.

Looked at the photobucket pics, got to admit though I did end up spending more time looking at the Mustang pics. :)

Great work Stangman, love the progress.

Looked at the photobucket pics, got to admit though I did end up spending more time looking at the Mustang pics. :)

Hi CJ, Thankyou.
It was hard yacka fitting those 5 roller shutters yesterday. Hot as hell! Would have preferred to pay an installer to do them, but the greedy SOB wanted $99 per shutter. Greed cost him some money.

If you like Mustangs - here is a Link to a Thread on the Mustang Forum about our current Restoration. It is a 69 Mach1 that we are trying to have finished so that we can drive it over to Newcastle for the Mustang Nationals over Easter -
http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=15537

Here is another Thread about our trip to the Mustang Roundup in Melbourne back in October -
http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=16011&page=2

Stangman.

There something was happening at Bonython Park yesterday where I saw hundreds of muscle cars parked everywhere.

Hi CJ, Thankyou.
It was hard yacka fitting those 5 roller shutters yesterday. Hot as hell! Would have preferred to pay an installer to do them, but the greedy SOB wanted $99 per shutter. Greed cost him some money.

If you like Mustangs - here is a Link to a Thread on the Mustang Forum about our current Restoration. It is a 69 Mach1 that we are trying to have finished so that we can drive it over to Newcastle for the Mustang Nationals over Easter -
http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=15537

Here is another Thread about our trip to the Mustang Roundup in Melbourne back in October -
http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=16011&page=2
Stangman.

You saved yourself a reasonable amount then doing the installations, looking like a good turn around for your investment.

Thanks for the links! Will have a browse at the threads over breakfast tomorrow. ;)

Oh I do love Mustangs, hopefully a couple years down the track I'll be able to pick one up myself. Right now I've still got my Mini Clubman S resto keeping me busy!

Poor Mans classic. :)

Hopefully us SA members can keep the traffic up on the site, it is good to see more of Adelaide being mentioned!

There something was happening at Bonython Park yesterday where I saw hundreds of muscle cars parked everywhere.

Hi Anon, Checked on Google. It was a meeting point for cars to go on the "Mega Mopar Cruise " as a prelude to the All Chrysler Day at Urrbrae yesterday. Would have been some sexy beasts in that lot of cars for sure.

Stangman.

You saved yourself a reasonable amount then doing the installations, looking like a good turn around for your investment.

Thanks for the links! Will have a browse at the threads over breakfast tomorrow. ;)

Oh I do love Mustangs, hopefully a couple years down the track I'll be able to pick one up myself. Right now I've still got my Mini Clubman S resto keeping me busy!

Poor Mans classic. :)

Hopefully us SA members can keep the traffic up on the site, it is good to see more of Adelaide being mentioned!

Need to save money where possible! We do not subscribe to the greed that is so prevalent in the community.
Check out this tree -

010-10.jpg

Had a quote for removal of the tree, which came in at $5,700!! Another example of utter greed IMO. Not paying that price! Need to get council permission first, but i will now get about 5 more quotes and hope to get it down to around $3,000.

A lot of Mustangs are being imported with our dollar being so high. Problem is that a lot of them are rustbuckets. If you buy one, make sure it comes from a dry state like Arizona, Nevada, California.

Had a look at a few minis at the Bay to Birdwood last year. Always liked the Cooper S especially. From memory the Clubman was the later version of the Mini, built around 1971. Sweet cars. The Clubman S is the sports version i presume? Would love to see a pic of the car. Takes a certain skill to work on the mechanicals of Minis. Not a lot of room around those East/West engines.

Guess it is up to us to lift the profile of SA on this Forum.

Stangman.

Security screens + security shutters? Elizabeth sounds like a lovely place.

No different to anywhere else.

Fact is all the flyscreens were cactus or missing. Just as easy for me to make screens with security grills in them. There are 3 louvre windows at the back - not good for security. Cost me $500 Total for materials. Doubt you would be able to buy normal flyscreens for that.

The Roller Shutters will keep a lot of heat off the windows as well as provide security. When the Roller Shutters are raised to allow light in, the security screens will still offer protection.

Overkill to have both? Maybe, but as the economy tightens and unemployment increases, crime rates will probably escalate - i would rather know my elderly brother is reasonably secure.

Stangman.

Stangman, what happens to your brother or a tenant in the case of a fire and they need to get out in a hurry?

No doubt they offer increased protection from home invasion/burglary, but I've never quite been comfortable about the fact they keep people in as much as they keep people out. :eek:

good on you for catering to your brother and his needs.

re the tree, wow it looks big and healthy. about the cost to remove, can anyone comment on if/how the cost can be considered? can it be claimed in anyway, if it can be stated the tree is a safety issue and must be removed?

shame its not in another position. the one at burnside village has a large canopy built above it and is a feature of the new shopping centre.

good luck with your reno.

Perhaps the council will remove the tree for free (if they originally planted it).

In Rockhampton I had to argue for a while with council but eventually they agreed to take it down for free because they were the ones that planted it even though it was within my land. And that saved me $1k+. So its worth a try.

Stangman, what happens to your brother or a tenant in the case of a fire and they need to get out in a hurry?

No doubt they offer increased protection from home invasion/burglary, but I've never quite been comfortable about the fact they keep people in as much as they keep people out. :eek:

Hi Zeddy, Good point that you make.

There are certainly some risks, but fortunately they can be minimised quite easily.

Firstly, it is essential to have several hard wired smoke alarms with battery backup as an early warning signal.

What is not commonly known is that Roller Shutters and Aluminium Security Screens have an amount of " Give " in them. Roller Shutter slats are made from rolled aluminium profiles which are injected with foam. In reality, the slats are quite weak. If you are outside a home trying to save somebody in the event that they are stuck, you would slightly lift the roller shutter slats from the bottom and in the centre of the shutter. By pulling OUTWARDS you can actually pull the roller shutter skin out of the side guides.

If you are inside a room and cannot get out, you would push as hard as possible toward the outside and the skin will " Give "
People have died in a fire before when they could not get a shutter open.

People outside push IN on the roller shutter skin which only pushes it against the window frame and it cannot give far enough to come out of the side guides. I wish salespeople would advise their customers of this fact - always push or pull away from the window.

You can test this priciple on any door frame. From inside - push against the door and it becomes very solid - because it is hitting against the frame stop bead. Now push from the other side and you can feel the door start to give.

Same goes for Security Screens. They are only as strong as the fixings holding them to the frame. From outside a good pull toward the outside will soon have them off, or a real good kick from inside toward the outside will also dislodge them.

My brother is aware of this and so would quickly escape in the event of a fire

Thankfully a lot of crims do not know this.

Stangman.

Back