Elizabeth, North Adelaide, SA

Guys,

Some great info there, thanks for sharing. Adelaide is already at the top of my list for future IPs but I'm focussed on my development in Mona Vale for the moment... So, I've subscribed to this thread and will keep reading everything posted about Adelaide. I work in the steel industry and our marketing guys are always trying to understand the global steel market so we can do long-term capacity planning. As most everyone knows China is already going ballistic and this isn't likely to change in the near future. The entire population of Australia (20M+) is urbanised in China every year.

Here's the good news for Adelaide: It is identified as a rich source of future mineral production and most of the worlds producers are currently doing massive exploration in SA. Our guys reckon SA is the next WA with property prices in Adelaide expected to follow the same path as Perth.

Here's an extract from the AFR last week which might also help paint the picture a bit:

I'm half tempted to buy a couple of $150K IPs now anyway and stretch myself that little further but I think I'll adopt a more prudent cautious approach and finish Mona Vale first.

Whoever said: "The opportunity of a lifetime comes along every day" must have had investment properties in mind. We're spoilt for potential when you know how to look for it. I just wish I had more leverage so I could invest more. Oh the frustration! :D

Cheers,
Michael.

Well said Michael. Agree with your thoughts on coming mining boom, over next 10yrs should see some nice increases. Might not be as much as Perth has the last few years, but will still be considerable.

I'm buying as soon as I am able to at the moment before things get away from me. Very stretched, but I believe it will pay off :D

Well said Michael. Agree with your thoughts on coming mining boom, over next 10yrs should see some nice increases. Might not be as much as Perth has the last few years, but will still be considerable.

I'm buying as soon as I am able to at the moment before things get away from me. Very stretched, but I believe it will pay off :D

Enjoyed Michaels comments as well. I am from South Australia, I was fortunate to buy and sell in Perth during the last 3 years.

In Perth, I am wondering at what stage does these big projects affect the price of property in a major way? For example, is it after years of exploration and finally where production is taking place that an affect on property really takes place? Wow, if it can be anything like Perth then I am in!!

I am actually originally from a citrus crop in Renmark south Australia. Going back there you realise how you don;t appreciate a place when living in it. However the who;e area is going through a major water crisis which I wonder whether will have an impact on the state. Fruit could be very costly in the short to medium term anyway.

Hi guys.

i thought i might hijack this thread for a little for advice.

• im 25
  • make about 27k per year
  • and have saved 50k in 6 years with the aim of buying a motorbike but now a house insted.
  • still ive with mum :eek:

i feel i am priced out of the gold coast and Brisbane. there for south Australia looks a good place to afford for me.

i intend to stay here (gold coast) and maby buy a house in SA. ive read rich dad poor dad and it made me want to get some investments going before its to late. and ived decided property is the way for me to go.

what area(s) would you people recommend i buy into. remembering i only make 27k per year so i assume i should buy a house 250k or under. i guess eleszibeth's is a good place to start. anywhere else

also where should i look. i look currently on realestate.com.au what are other alternatives.

ive never been on a plane before so can anyone tell me what areas are ok to look at. and should i catch a plane down there to look.

my objective is to sit on the house for maby 15 years or so. and hope that the place i buy becomes as expensive as property is in Brisbane in that time frame.

it just seems im priced out of every other market.

im a good saver so im sure the bank will give me at least 200k loan.

so yeah am i stupid in thinking buying my first house will be one i dont intend on living in?

i think ill buy some books specific to property. but any pointers you guys can give me in my situation would be helpfull. my dad wants me to stay in brisbane region. but its all seems to expensive in my view.

basically here are my questions

1. why is adelade so cheap ?
  2. how much should i spend on a porperty with 50k deposit ?
  3. what are good areas besides the Elisabeth's ?
  4. should i fly down to buy or trust a real estate agent ?
  5. i basically lose the first home buyers grant if i do this because i wont be living there, bad idea ?
  6. what would you do in my situation
  7. wheres a good place to look for propery, realestate.com.au can i get books in the gold coast which have south aus property listed in them. if so where ?

thanks

Hi guys.

i thought i might hijack this thread for a little for advice.

• im 25
  • make about 27k per year
  • and have saved 50k in 6 years with the aim of buying a motorbike but now a house insted.
  • still ive with mum :eek:

i feel i am priced out of the gold coast and Brisbane. there for south Australia looks a good place to afford for me.

i intend to stay here (gold coast) and maby buy a house in SA. ive read rich dad poor dad and it made me want to get some investments going before its to late. and ived decided property is the way for me to go.
Good on you! Nice to see you thinking about the future.

what area(s) would you people recommend i buy into. remembering i only make 27k per year so i assume i should buy a house 250k or under. i guess eleszibeth's is a good place to start. anywhere else
If you are looking at SA, I would stick with the Northern suburbs. Southern suburbs and Port Adelaide are good too, but already more expensive (maybe someone with more experience in these areas can help you out more on prices). Up North you could look at Elizabeth suburbs (there are 9 from memory), Salisbury suburbs (although a bit more expensive), Davoren Park, Smithfield/Plains,.

also where should i look. i look currently on realestate.com.au what are other alternatives.
I use realestate.com.au but domain.com.au can also be good. You could also ring a few agents in the area for some extra feedback (Xenia on SS here is very good for info. up North).

ive never been on a plane before so can anyone tell me what areas are ok to look at. and should i catch a plane down there to look.
To be honest you could, but I haven't even looked at some of the houses I bought up here (& I live here!). The old houses all look pretty crappy up North, so don't expect too much :)

my objective is to sit on the house for maby 15 years or so. and hope that the place i buy becomes as expensive as property is in Brisbane in that time frame.
I think you've got the right idea, sit on it and forget it, let the market do it's job. You're also buying into Adelaide at the right time with the coming mining boom.

it just seems im priced out of every other market.
I know the feeling, this is why I bought up North where it's very cheap, enabled me to get a foot hold in the market.

im a good saver so im sure the bank will give me at least 200k loan.

so yeah am i stupid in thinking buying my first house will be one i dont intend on living in?
Not at all, it may be the smartest decision you'll make as it may enable you to buy a better house for yourself one day down the track. It will also make it easier for you to pay the loan on the property since you'll be getting rent to help you. Once you've made up your mind to buy an investment property(IP), don't let others around you who are less educated on the matter try and talk you out if it.

i think ill buy some books specific to property. but any pointers you guys can give me in my situation would be helpfull. my dad wants me to stay in brisbane region. but its all seems to expensive in my view.
Jan Somers book "More Wealth from Resedential Property" is fantastic. I highly recommend it, and you should be able to get it at any good book shop, or online. Margret Lomas also has some good property books out.

basically here are my questions

1. why is adelade so cheap ?
    It has already increased in prices over last few years (old houses in up North. were selling for $30-$40k years ago - now $150k+), but it is still relatively cheap at the moment compared to other capital cities in Aust., however we are up for significant increases in coming years, so it remains to be seen how much of the gap will remain.
  2. how much should i spend on a porperty with 50k deposit ?
    Might be a good idea to get some mortgage brokers on SS to help you more with this one. It depends on how much of your income you can afford to put towards any shortfall of the loan. If you can afford say about $3kpa - you may want to look at buying a new house up North for around $220-$230k which will probably cost you about $2-$4k per year out of pocket after rent (but this varies for everyone, that's just a quick round about figure).
    It may be better for you to buy an old house up North which may have development potential years down the track (ie. large land content). You could pick one of these up for around $150k or less (depending which suburb), and if you take you're $50k off again, you'll be left with a debt of around $100-$105k (incl buying costs), which at current interest rates, would be about break even for you, and in a year or two, might actually become positively geared (if it's not already). This is just a brief analysis, if you want more detailed figures let us know.
  3. what are good areas besides the Elisabeth's ?
    See above, personally I have bought in Davoren Park (new), Smithfield Plains (new), and Elizabeth North (old).
  4. should i fly down to buy or trust a real estate agent ?
    Others with more experience buying interstate can give you an idea on this. If it was me, I'd probably buy over the net with photos etc. and get a building inspection done if necessary. Speaking to the agents in the area though, there are hundreds of investors from interstate (especially WA atm) who are buying sight unseen in the area, a good agent you can trust up there should be enough.
  5. i basically lose the first home buyers grant if i do this because i wont be living there, bad idea ?
    I think there may be a way for you still to keep it, but I'm not sure about this. Someone here will know. (I didn't get to use it myself :( )
  6. what would you do in my situation
    I would definitely get into RE, whether it's in Adelaide or where ever! You've made the right decision, but as I mentioned earlier, don't make yourself uncomfortable day to day, if the figures stack up better to only spend $150k instead of $250k - then be strict with yourself. Just because the bank will lend you $250k - doesn' mean you have to take it ;)
  7. wheres a good place to look for propery, realestate.com.au can i get books in the gold coast which have south aus property listed in them. if so where ?
    See above. Not sure about the book thing, but local brokers would probably be able to email/fax you more details on any properties you like too. Or even register your interest with them and tell them what you're looking for, and they can get back to you (although be careful, as a lot of the RE up there are a bit slack at the moment because there are soooo many buyers).

thanks

Any follow up question, don't hesitate to ask.

flightcrank - you can buy any number of IPs and not lose the first homebuyers grant so no need to worry.

You can even buy a house as an IP, honour the remainder of the tenants lease (say 6 months), and then move in. Provided it's within 12 months of the purchase, you can claim FHOG for the purchase, but you are obligated to stay there for at least 6 months. But that should be enough time to spend the FHOG money on paint, etc to do the house up yourself (for revaluation purposes) and maybe put what's left towards a deposit on another property.

But at this time serviceability could raise its ugly head, so it might be sensible to move back home with mum (or into a cheap rental flat somewhere) so there's two rental incomes to pay off both mortgages.

Buying IPs before your own home is financially very very sensible, especially for people on low incomes, paying cheap rent and/or living with mum ;)

Peter

BV's Linked article said:
Steel giant OneSteel has almost completed a $385 million expansion of its iron ore mining operations in the Middleback ranges 100km southeast of its Whyalla steelworks.

In what is symbolic of the changes happening in South Australia, OneSteel's project is aimed at freeing up high-grade iron ore for direct sale and shipment to China, rather than boosting the feed to its Whyalla steelworks. OneSteel expects to export 30 million tonnes of iron ore over the next 10 years, mostly to China.
Yep,

I'm now an employee of OneSteel as the Supply Chain Manager for the Pipe and Tube business. I spent quite a bit of time down in Whyalla recently and spoke at length to the Supply Chain Manager for Whyalla Steelworks. This project is called project magnet and its intent was to replace the hematite feed for our steelworks with magnetite so that we could export the hematite to China. Huge capex project by us but still makes us a minow in the iron ore exporting game compared to the BHPs of the world.

Still, its just a taste of what's going on down in Adelaide. Did you notice the house price appreciation in Whyalla? From $100K to $400K. Now that's a nice little capital appreciation...

Bring it on boys and girls, this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Watch out for Olympic Dam!! :eek:

Cheers,
Michael.

It's Official, Elizabeth is HOT!

I logged into real estate.com.au this morning to check on properties. Just about all the sub $150k stock had "under contract/under offer" listed next to it.

The only one left that struck me as being good value was these two.
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...header=&c=47875587&s=sa&snf=rbs&tm=1183601605
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...header=&c=47875587&s=sa&snf=rbs&tm=1183601605
and when I called the agent to enquire, it turned out they were sold for full price the day of listing before they even reached the internet.

It appears i've missed the boat on this one.

I'll have a look around for you. But you're right, most in Eliz etc. is "Under Contract" - even my purchase that settled last month is still listed as "Under Contract"! Porbably just agent trying to get free advertising :)

I came across this one that listed yesterday:

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...header=&c=95638946&s=sa&snf=rbs&tm=1183602144

Not sure exactly if you can stretch to $160k or not? But this one is not attached, and on a block big enough for development down the track (knocking down the original house of course).

Here’s a few I found, but personally I haven’t really ever considered a Semi before because you’re to restricted for development as you have to wait for the other side to sell.

Personally I’d jump all over this one if I hadn’t just bought one and leveraged myself up again. Needs some $ in landscaping obviously, but definitely a bargain in my eyes:
$165k
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...header=&c=68452314&s=sa&snf=rbs&tm=1183602401

Then you have this one, but personally I would’nt like it because it’s an awkward block and may be hard to develop (that’s assuming you can even get the other half one day):
$150k
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...header=&c=19157838&s=sa&snf=rbs&tm=1183602528

This one looks good, but comes with a warning that this is the “bad” side of Davoren Park. Not to say it’s not a good buy, very cheap, but be weary:
$120-$130k
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...header=&c=19157838&s=sa&snf=rbs&tm=1183602528

Personally I’d jump all over this one if I hadn’t just bought one and leveraged myself up again. Needs some $ in landscaping obviously, but definitely a bargain in my eyes:
$165k
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...header=&c=68452314&s=sa&snf=rbs&tm=1183602401

I rang the agent just then they were in the process of negotiating and I was told that they had basically agreed on the full asking price of $165k and that the it was just a matter of the vendor accepting the offer.

By the time I press submit reply on this post, it will most likely have been sold.

I rang the agent just then they were in the process of negotiating and I was told that they had basically agreed on the full asking price of $165k and that the it was just a matter of the vendor accepting the offer.

By the time I press submit reply on this post, it will most likely have been sold.
Then ask him what else he has on his books and buy that. I guarantee you that not every listed house in Elizabeth SA has been sold...

And, for the record, I reckon this is just the beginning for that 'burb. This is not the "oh no, I've missed the boat" time in that cycle. But hey, that's all just conjecture.

Cheers,
Michael.

Bugger! Qaz, don't give up. There's new ones coming up all the time, as long as you keep looking. Maybe you should put your name down with a few of the agents - I know LJ Hooker Munno Parra seem to have a huge amount of properties sold through them - maybe put yourself on their list?

Even if you look at some of the newer houses in the area that sell for $220k (I know, even they're hard to come across), you can still get a yield of 5.5 to 6% at the moment.

Another idea could be for you to look at the House & Land packages they have at the moment? There are heaps of those available (especially in DP) for $220k or less, and this option would give you the benefit of paying in installments as building progresses, and by the time it's finished, you may already have some equity built up. Never bought a H&L myself, but it may be worth looking into?

Just spoke to my PM up North. Obviously they're a bit biased (althopugh she has no reason to lie to me, she knows I'm not looking to buy/sell etc.), but here's some of the stuff she said:

- At the moment they have 6 buyers for every house that comes up.
- She has a client with major cash who has made lots of offers and still can't secure a house. Every house she goes for she gets outbid even though she offered $5-6k above asking price in some cases.
- One side of a semi they had a few weeks back on 800m2 (from memory) sold for $167k @ auction. (although personally I think they over paid)

Elizabeth Park

I am currently looking at a property in Elizabeth Park with subdividable potential, 3 x 1 on 955m2 asking $199,500. Anyone have an opinion on the location and price, seems a little excessive, interested in hearing other peoples views.

Regards
Steve

I am currently looking at a property in Elizabeth Park with subdividable potential, 3 x 1 on 955m2 asking $199,500. Anyone have an opinion on the location and price, seems a little excessive, interested in hearing other peoples views.

Regards
Steve

Do you have a link to the property?

A month ago I would have said that sounds too expensive, but after the last couple weeks, I'm not so sure anymore?

955m2 sounds like a fantastic size block. How much is the frontage, Playford Council required min of 20m to have 2 indivdual houses, but you can have a duplex for 18m. Hard to say without actually seeing block on Google, but assuming it's not an awkward shaped block, you may even be able to put a group of units on it instead which would be an even better return for you.

My thinking would be, work out how many dwellings you can put on the land, whether it be units/house/duplexes etc. then work back the cost of the land per dwelling. So if you could put say 5 or 6 units on it, then you would only be paying about $35k-$40k for the land of each dwelling (+ all the costs later on to subdivide etc etc but you get the drift). To me, that sounds reasonable.

If on the other hand the block is only suitable for a duplex or 2 houses, you may be over paying a little, but having said that - I'd still do it.

Elizabeth Park

After enquiring with the Playford Council because it is a corner location on Residential plains I have three options - 1) I can demolish and build 3 seperate titles, 2) keep existing and build one behind, with driveway off other street or 3) do a community title of three premises with strata and one driveway. Your thoughts are appreciated

Regards
Steve

After enquiring with the Playford Council because it is a corner location on Residential plains I have three options - 1) I can demolish and build 3 seperate titles, 2) keep existing and build one behind, with driveway off other street or 3) do a community title of three premises with strata and one driveway. Your thoughts are appreciated

Regards
Steve

Just had a look at the block - if it was me, I'd demolish and build the 3 seperate titles facing South. Cutting the block at the back would be cheaper, but you only get 2 dwellings that way. Not a huge fan on community title either.

It's also in a fairly good location near the oval, close to other subdivision, near Elizabeth town centre, and away from Main Nth Rd. I'd do it (but then I've always been over eager :D )

Back