Elizabeth, North Adelaide, SA

Steve, that seems a bit counter-intuitive, wouldn't you want to invest in areas where the supply is limited, and stay away from areas of limitless supply?

I think it's actually infrastructure upgrades that put upward pressure on prices in growth corridors, not the fact that there is limitless supply which is actually a negative factor in price increases IMHO.

An ideal world is limited supply coupled with infrastructure improvements. Worst case is limitless supply and no infrastructure upgrades.

What you are betting on is that the positive effect of infrastrucutre (which increases demand) is going to outweigh the negative of an increase in supply. I don't trust state governments so I shy away from such areas.

something to consider anyway....

Very good point Twitch! Definitely agree that closer to the city with limited supply is best, but I guess what I'm saying is 20yrs from now, I can see a large degree of housing on the other side of the hills where Adelaide suburbs currently are now.

It won't be as big as a second CBD or anything like that - Adelaide will probably never be big enough for that. My theory is though, if in 20yrs time, there is a huge amound of housing on the other side of the hills ie. they just look like more sububrs, ie it could be totally built up (to a degree).

If this is the case, then Mt Barker would at that point demand a nice premium as it is still the closest to the Adelaide CBD etc. - ie. now Mt Barker is the fringe, in 20yrs time - the fringe maybe another 15-20kms out from Mt Barker. In this respect, I think it would be a good buy.

This is all pie in the sky sort of stuff, as I said, I'm only just staring to look into it. I guess my main thinking is, I'm trying to look ahead and figure out where we're heading, if I did this 10yrs ago, I could have bought a LOT cheaper in suburbs like Norwood, Port Adelaide, Mt Barker, Elizabeth etc.

In the Herron Todd White report this month (July, 2007), they analyse Adelaide (in terms of both units and houses) as being at the peak of the market. What are some of your thoughts about this... is the market overheating?

I guess like all markets, it depends where you look in Adelaide. The Northern sububrs look like they may be peaking, I know southern suburbs have been strong too, but I guess it's hard to tell where a peak is? I never like it when articles/reporters make sweeping generalised statements about a city market (Adelaide or otherwise), as when you have a big place - there will always be different markets within it that are driven by different forces. To generalise can be dangerous.

There are other areas in Adelaide that haven't really gone up that much (or at all), so it could be a case of the current runners (eg. North) slowing down, and some other sububrs start to pick up.

Over all though, I still firmly believe the next 5-10yrs will be fantastic for Adelaide.

I live in Elizabeth South and I'm very happy living here.

There are some really dodgy areas as previously stated including some areas of Davoren Park and Smithfield. They look like war zones.

I know 3 large blocks of land (adjoining) with huge development potential that the housing commission is trying to sell and can't get anyone interested. The surrounding streets look like down town beirut and no one is prepared to spend their investment dollars there just yet.

I recommend you to look at google images of downtown beirut. I assure you its nothing like what you mention. The civil war was over around 20 years ago.

I believe it's just to the West of the existing Elizabeth suburbs, and just to the North of the RAAF base. If you look at Page 7 of the attachment below, you can see an arrow pointing to Penfield area with the description "Future Primary Freight Route." My guess it would be around there. This may be unrelated to the announcment above, however I'd say it would be a fairly logical location for it.

http://www.planning.sa.gov.au/download.cfm?DownloadFile=066C06C9-F203-0D46-A0EB934666A88AAB

However the other train line also goes through Penfield a little bit further West, so could be there too, however there are much more market gardens there which would make it less likely.

Just came across another very interesting site. Outlines major projects planned throughout SA, including Northern suburbs projects:

http://www.majorprojects.sa.gov.au

We already know some of these plans, but still interesting stats none the less, and very promising for northern suburbs. By my count over $1.7 billion in projects listed below (and not all of them have a $ figure yet):

Organisation: Department of Defence
Project Title: Australian Army Base, Edinburgh
Project Details: Establishment of an Australian Army base at the RAAF Base Edinburgh to accommodate a 1200-strong mechanised battle group. The Australian Government has agreed in principle to the project (approximate project cost $500,000,000).
Project Cost: $500,000,000
Estimated Completion Date: 1/01/2011

Organisation: Inghams Enterprises Pty Limited
Project Title: Processing Facility, Edinburgh Parks
Project Details: Construction of a further processing facility to initially accommodate two cooking lines, with capability to expand by a further four lines in the future.
Project Cost: $104,000,000
Estimated Completion Date: 30/09/2007

Organisation: Department of Health
Project Title: Lyell McEwin Hospital Redevelopment Stage B
Project Details: Stage B of the planned redevelopment. Construction of a 50-bed mental health facility and extended emergency care unit.
Project Cost: $43,480,000
Estimated Completion Date: 30/04/2009

Project Title: Project Air 7000 Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Systems
Project Details: Construction of ground support facilities and infrastructure at the RAAF Base Edinburgh. Estimated cost between $50,000,000 and $80,000,000. Project in early design development stage. Seeking approval - tender for construction due late 2008.
Project Cost: $80,000,000
Estimated Completion Date:

Project Title: RAAF Base Edinburgh, Redevelopment Stage 2
Project Details: Stage 2 of the redevelopment of the RAAF Base Edinburgh. Estimated cost $51,000,000. Requirements being firmed up, tender estimated 2006, commencement of work 2008 to 2009.
Project Cost: $51,000,000

Organisation: Department for Transport Energy & Infrastructure
Project Title: Northern Expressway
Project Details: Involves the construction of a freeway link between the Gawler Bypass and Port Wakefield Road at Waterloo Corner and associated upgrades of the Port Wakefield Road. Pending Commonwealth Government funding approval.
Project Cost: $550,000,000
Estimated Completion Date: 31/12/2011

Organisation: Land Management Corporation
Project Title: Edinburgh Parks, Industrial Estate
Project Details: 650 ha industrial development adjacent to major industry stakeholders including Holden, DSTO, RAAF and BAE Systems. The Automotive Precinct has a substantial number of automotive suppliers already established providing a ''just in time'' service to Holden.
Further investment is sought for this project. Liase directly with the contact person listed below.
Project Cost: $145,000,000
Estimated Completion Date: 1/01/2020

Organisation: Priority Engineering Services Pty Ltd
Project Title: Playford Evolution Precinct
Project Details: High-Tech precinct set up in Elizabeth West on 8ha site. (details to be confirmed by proponent)
Project Cost: $50,000,000

Organisation: Land Management Corporation
Project Title: Playford North Residential Regeneration
Project Details: The potential development of 300 ha of greenfield land. A master planning and feasibility study has now been completed with the strong support of study partners, relevant agencies, the Playford Council and community representatives. The study produced a Structure Plan showing the potential housing outcomes for the project area.
Project Cost: $N/A

Organisation: Department for Families and Communities
Project Title: Salisbury North Urban Improvement Project
Project Details: The Department for Families and Communities on behalf of Housing SA in conjunction with the City of Salisbury to improve environmental and housing quality, social wellbeing and economic viability of Salisbury North as an attractive and desirable living environment well integrated with surrounding communities. This is a 10-year joint project to create around 800 allotments for new housing, plus around 500 renovated Housing SA houses for sale or rent.
Project Cost: $180,000,000
Estimated Completion Date: 31/12/2009

Although the status on some of them are pending, we know they are going ahead, it's just a matter of finalising plans and approval.

Also listed on the site - $11.8billion worth of proposed mining work.

Northern Suburbs

Thanks Steveadl. I wonder what Salisbury North will be like in 10 years. I can recall them already doing some improvements to the housing in the last 5 years or so but I'm not sure whether this increased the value of other properties in the area. On my last drive through it still seemed like a suburb with some social problems.

Your thoughts?

Thanks Steveadl. I wonder what Salisbury North will be like in 10 years. I can recall them already doing some improvements to the housing in the last 5 years or so but I'm not sure whether this increased the value of other properties in the area. On my last drive through it still seemed like a suburb with some social problems.

Your thoughts?

Not as familiar with Salisbury subrubs as I am with a bit further north, but I believe you're right. Still a fair bit of social problems, but I do believe it's better than it used to be.

Also new development happening there too (ie. knock down/cut off etc.). People are also attracted to it as it is (relatively) closer to CBD than further North, and also South (I'd rather live in Salisbury than all the way down South). I think Salisbury will see some good gains too over the coming years.

commission

steveadl
are you on a commission trying to sell the northern suburds:p

i tell you what , i went to 6 opens today down south - all of them packed with offer sheets flying everywhere , it has just gone stupid in S.A.

not enough stock - too many buyers

steveadl

i tell you what , i went to 6 opens today down south - all of them packed with offer sheets flying everywhere , it has just gone stupid in S.A.

To me that means it's too late to buy there. ;)

steveadl

Granev, not on a comission, although I will do well once the prices rise up there from my existing IP's ;) If only I had that much influence :D

I guess I talk and post a lot about North because that's the area I have focused on up until now. Although I am starting to investigate other areas. I'm currently starting to look at Clearview and surrounding suburbs. They've gone up a lot over last few years, but still like it as it's only 7km from CBD, and one or two suburbs away from other desirable suburbs like Collinswood etc. Thinking of buying an old block for a future PPOR years down the track.

My brother lives down the far South (Woodcroft) and he says the South is booming. He's recently just signed a H&L package at Aldinga. He's also a Councilor down there, and has seen all the development and infrastructure plans for the area and is very positive. Personally, I think the South is a bit too expensive for my liking - but I guess that doesn't mean it won't rise in future, just that I'd still rather buy closer to town.

Other than lifestyle, I guess I dont see the value in the South unless there is an improvement in jobs opportunity down there. If no work, then that brings in social problems and the area doesnt need any more. And the traffic coming from the South into closer towards the city is already horrendous. I think that Clearview is way under valued, which makes for a great opportunity methinks!

Searching for Number II

Hi All,

I jumped on board the IP bandwagon late last year and looks like I’m coming back for more :) . I’ve got my first IP in QLD and its coming up to its anniversary soon, I've mangend to get a small CG from this property and secure a payrise at work and thus would like to secure IP No:2 shortly.

I attended one of the forums Sydney Meeting event lately where Peter Koulizos gave a speech about his predictions for Australia's Property market and he couldn't say enough of SA and its potential. From then I’ve been looking at some of the suburbs Peter suggested and would like to get some further insight on people who have invested in Adelaide and in some of these suburbs:

Ethelton / Exeter/Glanville
Largs North
Semaphore Park
Thebarton / Hindmarsh
Carmdilla / Hilton
Undervale
Flinders Park
Christies Beach
Hallet Cove
Adelaide (city)

I’ve checked with my bank and $250K is the max I can get. I’m looking for good capital growth with the objective of obtaining a minimum of 1 IP for the next 2 years after which I want to get into developing. :D

If you’d like to have a read on Peter speech from other attendees visit the http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33727&highlight=invest+south+australia go to post page 3 onwards.

Thanks in advance.

Trev

Hi All,

I jumped on board the IP bandwagon late last year and looks like I’m coming back for more :) . I’ve got my first IP in QLD and its coming up to its anniversary soon, I've mangend to get a small CG from this property and secure a payrise at work and thus would like to secure IP No:2 shortly.

I attended one of the forums Sydney Meeting event lately where Peter Koulizos gave a speech about his predictions for Australia's Property market and he couldn't say enough of SA and its potential. From then I’ve been looking at some of the suburbs Peter suggested and would like to get some further insight on people who have invested in Adelaide and in some of these suburbs:

Ethelton / Exeter/Glanville
Largs North
Semaphore Park
Thebarton / Hindmarsh
Carmdilla / Hilton
Undervale
Flinders Park
Christies Beach
Hallet Cove
Adelaide (city)

I’ve checked with my bank and $250K is the max I can get. I’m looking for good capital growth with the objective of obtaining a minimum of 1 IP for the next 2 years after which I want to get into developing. :D

If you’d like to have a read on Peter speech from other attendees visit the http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33727&highlight=invest+south+australia go to post page 3 onwards.

Thanks in advance.

Trev

Hi Trev, yeah listened to Peter again last night at the AIG and he said the same thing - Adelaide (& SA) is set for a BIG boom over the next few years, although he does think the market will slow for the rest of this year with interest rate rise, election, and then Christmas. He said we haven't even started over here yet.

Nice to have someone of this calibre confirm my own views. :) Sorry to say though, with a budget of $250k - you won't be able to get into any of Peter's Top10 suburbs for Adelaide (unless you're really lucky). Most of the median prices are already over the $250k mark in these suburbs (closer to $300k), and to be honest - I find it hard to see even properties going for around the median anymore in some of these suburbs, especially Port Adelaide suburbs. Ethelton is supposedly only $260k median (from memory), but I could'nt see any for that price.

Hi Trev, yeah listened to Peter again last night at the AIG .

Hey Steve,

I was there at the AIG. Came in a bit late and sitting in the end. Its was good. Except that he did not mention anything about the booming northern suburbs. We should have caught up yesterday. I was planning to call you before the AIG but got busy with work.

One question I wanted to ask Peter was :' What does it consider a good growth ? and the criteria for the top 10 sururbs ?'

Cheers

Hey Steve,

I was there at the AIG. Came in a bit late and sitting in the end. Its was good. Except that he did not mention anything about the booming northern suburbs. We should have caught up yesterday. I was planning to call you before the AIG but got busy with work.

One question I wanted to ask Peter was :' What does it consider a good growth ? and the criteria for the top 10 sururbs ?'

Cheers

I came in just before it started, was right up front. I was gonna post here on SS to see if anyone else was going but left it too late. We'll have to catch up at the next one if we're both going...

No he didn't mention Northern suburbs, but I think that's because they don't have his two key attributes - close to CBD or water. Unfortunately his recommendations are usually too expensive for me :eek:

But I was quite happy to hear his comments at the end how Adelaide hasn't even begun to boom yet, and how over the next few years we're all going to be shocked with the growth :D I already believe that myself, but nice to hear someone of his calibre say that too.

Always annoys me how in press etc. that the writers always focus on Syndey, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth etc. - pretty much everywhere except Adelaide (maybe just a sentence or two thrown in at the end about us). Maybe once the boom hits we'll get a little more print coverage :confused: (this is one of the reasons I love SS - people actually talk about Adelaide a bit!)

I came in just before it started, was right up front. I was gonna post here on SS to see if anyone else was going but left it too late. We'll have to catch up at the next one if we're both going...

Hi Steve,

There is another property investment seminar organised by Ironfish at 7PM today. Its in the Optus building on 6th floor, and I am planning to go there. Have u attended any of their semnars ?

Cheers

Hi Steve,

There is another property investment seminar organised by Ironfish at 7PM today. Its in the Optus building on 6th floor, and I am planning to go there. Have u attended any of their semnars ?

Cheers

No I haven't - what are they about?

(Can't tonight though - got free tickets to the Die Hard 4 premier :cool: )

Back