Ellenbrook 1x1s

We are building four 1 Bed, 1 Bath, 1 Garage villas in Ellenbrook, on two side by side 360sqm blocks. There will be 8 of these upon completion, we will have the 4 in the middle, the builder is keeping two and another investor has purchased the other two.

Purchased as a package with NRAS credits.

All up $1,048k ($524k x 2), full turn key ready to go.

Included in the contract that the builder will buy the properties back off me at cost price plus any costs I have incurred (stamp duty, settlement agent, bank interest / fees) if for any reason the properties do not get NRAS accredited.

Additionally I got the build contract change so the final payment is 20% (they had 5% originally which I thought was useless, no incentive for them to finish the build). Also got the builder to include the having gas, water & electricity all separately metered so it can be subdivided later, looks like they have stuffed up and forgot to factor in the additional $20k headworks involved, hopefully this won't be an issue.

Bank valuations came back at $485k and $524k (second was originally $545k but valuer said that was a typo and reissued at $524k). Two comparable sales of 1x1x1s in Ellenbrook were sold for $305k & $315k in 2013 (NRAS as well). These were slightly bigger but inferior location and in a strata complex. Once build and subdivided I estimate the market value will be $300-320k.

Once complete these should be cashflow positive about $45k pa based on 105% finance and discounted rent of $260pw, the above comparables have a discounted rent of $304pw.

Quick visit on the weekend, slabs are going down

Attachments

• IMG_1950.jpg
    IMG_1950.jpg
    999.2 KB · Views: 93
Hi VaSS
How innovative, so how did you get onto this type of deal?
Cash flow great.

I don't know anything about NRAS/NRAS credits??

I am a little confused with the numbers, net profit after valuations??

Thanks for sharing:)

MTR

Cash flow great.
MTR

Found on realestate.com.au, was originally a "dual key" 3x2x2 and a 1x1x1 but due to planning approvals was changed to current plan.

MTR

Is that a question? :)

MTR

Purchase all up of $1,048,000 so $262k each.
Cost to subdivide of ~$15k (I am holding these so will probably put subdivision on hold for 12 months)
Holding Costs ~$25-30K
End value of ~$300-320k each.

Your numbers seem a little understated... am I missing something?

8 dwellings. $1.048 Million is the total purchase price. (works out at @ 131K per dwelling)

$1.048 Million is the total purchase price for 4 dwellings, so $262k per dwelling.

There are 4 other dwellings, 2 either side of mine.

Discount Rent @ $260pw = $54k
Expenses (inc interest etc) = ($65k)
Pre tax cashflow ($11k)

Depreciation Est ($30k)

Tax Loss = $41k

Tax Refund = $15k
NRAS = $40k
Pre tax cashflow ($11k)

Post tax cashflow $44k

VaSSagO,

Do I infer that not only do you receive NRAS credits for the 4 properties, you also have instant equity of (320,000-262,000) = 58k per property? Hence, 4 of these resulted in 232k instant equity, less any ancillary costs?

Can you please confirm?

Cheers
Greg

Hi VaSS
Cash flow great.

MTR

I posted extensively about the benefits of NRAS cash flow previously, on a post you responded to. In particular, I demonstrated how to use it to build a 100K tax free passive income. The numbers are fantastic when NRAS is employed intelligently.

Is this about right?

Pretty close.
The $260pw is post the NRAS discount not prior (hopefully this will actually be $304pw like similar NRAS properties near by)
Stamps was only $15k
Legal and depreciation report $2k
I estimate council rates to be lower and strata insurance lower.
Based estimate on my current interest rate of 4.69%
Based tax refund n 38.5%

VaSSagO,

Do I infer that not only do you receive NRAS credits for the 4 properties, you also have instant equity of (320,000-262,000) = 58k per property? Hence, 4 of these resulted in 232k instant equity, less any ancillary costs?

Can you please confirm?

Cheers
Greg

Pretty much, not instant though, have to wait about a year for build to complete and subdivision to be complete, new titles to be issued.

Being survey strata the subdivision can take place simultaneously to the build.

I posted extensively about the benefits of NRAS cash flow previously, on a post you responded to. In particular, I demonstrated how to use it to build a 100K tax free passive income. The numbers are fantastic when NRAS is employed intelligently.

Yes you did, but I need to review this again euro and I will.. thanks:)

Pretty much, not instant though, have to wait about a year for build to complete and subdivision to be complete, new titles to be issued.

Being survey strata the subdivision can take place simultaneously to the build.

So you wont be selling any of these? there would be no point as market has changed and additional costs just access the equity as cash flow positive. Excellent.
Just something to watch out for is the end values as they may come under today's estimates, but you have plenty of fat and the cash flow is attractive

Hi VaSS
Cash flow great.

MTR

Yes you did, but I need to review this again euro and I will.. thanks:)

I'm well published on here :) You should find quite a number of thorough posts covering all kinds of incomes, scenarios etc.

Pretty close.
The $260pw is post the NRAS discount not prior (hopefully this will actually be $304pw like similar NRAS properties near by)
Stamps was only $15k
Legal and depreciation report $2k
I estimate council rates to be lower and strata insurance lower.
Based estimate on my current interest rate of 4.69%
Based tax refund n 38.5%

Amazing deal VaSSagO. I love NRAS, and you've just hit a huge homerun in the way you purchased.

I would've loved NRAS to continue and adopt a creative strategy like this!!!

FYI - I recently saw an NRAS advertised for rental in Canberra. It was a purpose built house with 4 bedrooms, rented by the room. 4 x NRAS grants. All on one block, one house, just split bedrooms with a mini kitchenette and ensuite in each. Common living areas.

Not sure how much it'd be worth, but <$700k. ~30k positive cash flow.

Cheers,
Redom

Amazing deal VaSSagO. I love NRAS, and you've just hit a huge homerun in the way you purchased.

I would've loved NRAS to continue and adopt a creative strategy like this!!!

FYI - I recently saw an NRAS advertised for rental in Canberra. It was a purpose built house with 4 bedrooms, rented by the room. 4 x NRAS grants. All on one block, one house, just split bedrooms with a mini kitchenette and ensuite in each. Common living areas.

Not sure how much it'd be worth, but <$700k. ~30k positive cash flow.

Cheers,
Redom

You'll see these from time to time. I've seen quite a few of them actually. Clever idea if employed correctly, but it requires a little bit of pain on the way in even if you can put together a strong deal. Bank valuers will treat them as a standard 4 bed house - and you actually want that, otherwise they'll treat it as an unacceptable security. Because you'll only get a val at X amount per m2, and because of the additional costs associated with the extra wet areas and kitchenettes wont be considered by the valuer, you're likely to have a shortfall.

Provided you can design these in such a way that the costs for installing the extra wet areas and kitchenettes is relatively inexpensive - say 30-40K , it can be very attractive.

Potentially you can turn a 4 bedroom house for lets say 500K ( cheaper if you did it regionally) + @ 30-40K for the 3 extra bathrooms and kitchenettes , into at least 40K CF+ return per year over 10 years, which could be very attractive for someone with the available capital upfront to fund the construction and the shortfall.

Recycling the annual NRAS onto paying down the majority of the debt off in 10 years could leave you with an absolute cash cow for life

But you need the right design, the right builder and the right amount of cash available upfront to make this work.

Back