Eloping

I never for a moment regretted not having a big wedding but one of my greatest regrets in life is that I didn’t have a special wedding. My simple registry office wedding was one of the dreariest and most depressing days of my life, not because of the venue but because of a plethora of other reasons I won’t go into. It still makes me sad when I think of it.

As much we can say weddings are a bit of a w*nk and marriage is just a piece of paper, the day itself is important and you (hopefully) only get one shot at it. Do what feels right for you and your partner and have no regrets.

We ended up having a wedding with a twist. Would have loved something easy but was important to mother in law to be present at the wedding (third child partnered off, 2nd family wedding, 1st one (brother in law) none of his family was invited to).

We had friends and family camp out (well converted sheds, lots of spare rooms, and a few caravans) at a relatives Macadamia plantation for three days over a long weekend. We picked everyone up from airport in minibuses, then took them hiking Mt Warning, lawn bowls at Nimbin, whilst we got photos at Byron and Mt Warning on morning of wedding they all went running and/or got a tour of surrounds (was a bit surreal for some of the locals). Saturday arvo was wedding, followed by a very big party (was great as no one had to drive or go elsewhere, and no one else around to complain about music or fireworks). Sunday we all went down to Byron Bay then dropped everyone at the airport that evening.

Thinking we might have to do a five year celebration again there this year as we've had a few requests.

Doesn't sound like you've got kids - whole different story when you do.

I dont agree with this,we have 7 kids between us and none of them attended,and when they found out didnt have a problem.We had the celebrant and 2 witnesses.

Good for you. I've found however, that kids take a lot of notice of what their parents do and either admire them for it, try to emulate them or are embarrassed. Rarely do they not give a toss even if they say they don't. ;) By the same token most parents want to be respected by their kids and set good examples and often this means doing things traditionally or along more accepted lines rather than the wild or unorthodox way we might secretly want to do things.
When I made my comment I was thinking along the lines of when kids come along and ask to look at your wedding photos or ask about your wedding - they may be surprised you didn't include/invite immediate family at least. Another example - my SIL got married to my daughter when he had long hair down to his bum. I quietly smiled and said you'll be embarrassed by that later on. He said he wouldn't. But on more than 1 occasion since (and now he's got kids) he's said I was right and wishes he'd had his hair cut.

Ok fair enough. I've had to deal with sisters on law but not sons in law. Not yet. I didn't twig. (Sorry, wrong thread to use that word).

Back