Eloping

Has anyone on here eloped?

It's getting about time I put a ring on my mrs finger soon. I suggested to her once that when we get married it should be just me and her on a beach somewhere and she told me she loved that idea and would like that too.

It would also make things a lot easier and cheaper on us as she is from Sweden, so trying to organise family to get across the otherside of the world would be a nightmare.

So has anyone done it and recommend it?
Also as a parents perspective would you be dissapointed in your child if they came home and said they were married without them being invited?

Hubby and I would have loved to do it this way. We ended up with the whole big wedding "thing", really to please our mothers.

For my kids, I would love it if they eloped. I think weddings are such a waste of money, and I would prefer to give them $10K towards a house than spend $10K towards a wedding.

We have sons, and traditionally it is the bride's parents who pay for the wedding and reception and the groom's parents buy the drinks. But I guess that is old fashioned and if the boys want a wedding, we would no doubt chip in. But to spend $30K on one day (for me) is stupid, so I will be pushing for the small wedding, small group of friends at dinner and some cash towards a house.

Ultimately though, it is up to the couple.

Most weddings we have been to (nephews and nieces) have been paid for by the bride and groom. We were told this was so they could control it and not have 100 people attend, only ten of their friends and the rest relatives and friends of the parents (like our wedding).

So... do what you want to do. Elope and then maybe shout your close friends and parents to a nice dinner. That would have been our choice.

We did it six years ago. Best thing ever. :D

We had a number of difficult family members - both our mothers were being very demanding. My father had passed away earlier in the year, and I was going through a major episode of clinical depression (not just due to my dad's dying, but it didn't help!). We also lived together and had a reasonable mortgage, so to us it just didn't make sense. We're both quite introverted as well, and the idea of a big wedding brought us both out in hives.

So we went down south to Margaret River for a week and got married there. We had a couple who were friends of ours as witnesses, the celebrant and the photographer. Broke the news to family on the way back - we actually stopped in at the various in-laws' houses on the drive home to tell them. By then we had the wedding photos back so we could show them and let them pick out a few so we could give them copies.

Absolutely the best thing - I would recommend it without a doubt. Parents were all disappointed, but you know what? They get over it :p

It's getting about time I put a ring on my mrs finger soon. I suggested to her once that when we get married it should be just me and her on a beach somewhere and she told me she loved that idea and would like that too.
isnt that the ultimate aussies dream?

sit on the beach drinking cocktails?????

wouldnt we all be doing if it were possible?

oh and your comment about "just you and me", was that your subtle hint for not wanting kids?

We weren't so much planning on eloping but wanted to get married in the Cook Islands and knew that not all our family/friends would be able to join us.

We invited everyone that we'd invite to our wedding if it were held at home. We ended up having about 35 people join us and we had a normal ceremony/reception.

It was a nice, relaxed wedding and everyone that came treated it like a holiday and stayed for a week.

It's probably been said a thousand times before, but it's your wedding - just do whatever makes you and your future wife happy. Our decision to get married overseas ruffled a few feathers but it didn't bother us one bit, it was our day.

Cheers

Jamie

It would also make things a lot easier and cheaper on us as she is from Sweden, so trying to organise family to get across the otherside of the world would be a nightmare.

Also as a parents perspective would you be dissapointed in your child if they came home and said they were married without them being invited?

I like the idea of eloping but yes I think parents would be disappointed. There is no reason why you can't elope with parents though - I would out of respect invite both sets of parents.

I'd elope then perhaps have a honeymoon in Sweden so your Mrs can tell all her family and have a celebration party there for her family.

I am not married but when I find someone and do get married, I would be quite open to the elope or small ceremony idea.

I dislike pomp and ritual, and if she was happy with it, a small gathering of immediate family and close friends would suit me just fine. Of course if she wanted the big wedding with a million people I wouldnt say no, its a fight not worth fighting for :)

Hubby and I would have loved to do it this way. We ended up with the whole big wedding "thing", really to please our mothers.

For my kids, I would love it if they eloped. I think weddings are such a waste of money, and I would prefer to give them $10K towards a house than spend $10K towards a wedding.

We have sons, and traditionally it is the bride's parents who pay for the wedding and reception and the groom's parents buy the drinks. But I guess that is old fashioned and if the boys want a wedding, we would no doubt chip in. But to spend $30K on one day (for me) is stupid, so I will be pushing for the small wedding, small group of friends at dinner and some cash towards a house.

Ultimately though, it is up to the couple.

Most weddings we have been to (nephews and nieces) have been paid for by the bride and groom. We were told this was so they could control it and not have 100 people attend, only ten of their friends and the rest relatives and friends of the parents (like our wedding).

So... do what you want to do. Elope and then maybe shout your close friends and parents to a nice dinner. That would have been our choice.

Ditto
Finally someone can make sense of this, weddings waste of money, inviting relatives that you only see at funerals and weddings. Had the big fat Italian wedding, I was young and stupid and did what I was told at the time, not anymore....

I will give my daughter money to elope If thats what she wants to do, travel o/seas and deposit for a home, she loves the idea. We will just stick to celebrating with our special group of friends;)

Elope but invite the parents and your closest friends.

:cool:

PS. Hubby and I, sort of eloped, we had just migrated to Sydney and, did not have a lot of money to start with. Both sides of the family knew we were getting married.

I eloped on my first wedding.
We were already engaged, owned our first small home, and was in the middle of building our bigger home.
Parents were informed the next day. If they were angry, they never let on.

We had better use of our money, than for a wedding.
I never regretted it.

We had a small wedding with our family and a few close friends (35 people). I hated the idea of a wedding, however in the end it was really nice to be able to share the day with the people closest to us.

We lost a couple of family members not long after that, so those photos and memories are quite special - was the first time my family had been all together for a long time and was also the last time.

I loved our wedding and am very glad we didn't run off to vegas as we had considered.

I agree with Jamie - do what makes you happy. Dont worry about what others think.

Unless you're really big on it being no one but you and her, why not elope with the parents and immediate family only?

I know it's your wedding and parents shouldn't influence what you want but I think it's only considerate to invite both sets of parents, even if they did decide not to come (I'd stress to them that it would be no biggie if they couldn't afford it).

Personally I think a small wedding (and even a very small wedding) is a sensible alternative, but if I were the parents I'd wonder why we didn't rate an invite if we weren't invited.

Streetie,

We did exactly that. Second wedding for me, first for my wife.

Didn't want to fuss. Just us, our 2yo daughter and the celebrant / photographers. Not a family member in sight!

Was on a quiet beach - Southern Gold Coast.

Packaged deal including accommodation, celebrant, photographer, flowers, makeup, video - the lot!

Great value if you ask me. Parents were surprised, but not angry.

:D

Unless you're really big on it being no one but you and her, why not elope with the parents and immediate family only?

This is what we would have done. I didn't mean (in my earlier post) to suggest our parents would not have been invited.

For us it would have been a registry office service followed by a lovely dinner at a restaurant with both sets of parents, and siblings/partners. Instead we had one table of our friends and 90 other people, some of whom we had never met :eek:.

Back