Elwood/st kilda east/prahran

Comparing these suburbs in terms of investment, which would be ranked 1-3. I understand obviously it's a personal thing, however rising long term capital growth into account which of these 3 do people believe will have stronger long term growth. St kilda east and prahran have better infrastructure with more public transport options however elwood does have the proximity to the beach
Interested on some peoples thoughts

Hi

Hi all three areas are unique in their own right.

These three locations have allot of attractive points but whats vital is the type of property you are looking at "eg" Town house, Unit or House?

The demographics in the area is changing any more people are opting to rent apartments.

In terms of long term growth its going to be very difficult to know where there all heading.

Reason: Job market in Melbourne has become a big challenge and more people are opting to rent in these areas as well.

So you will most likely see higher rental yeilds rather then capital growth.

Even more harder to predict :)

If you are buying a apartment in a old area - Just ensure the buildings are in good condition... Body corporate can blow out of proportion if the apartment needs work.

A friend of mine just bought an apartment in Parahan for 550... she is getting a really good rental return at the moment..

Have you looked at areas like brighton or kew?

Even more harder to predict :)

If you are buying a apartment in a old area - Just ensure the buildings are in good condition... Body corporate can blow out of proportion if the apartment needs work.

A friend of mine just bought an apartment in Parahan for 550... she is getting a really good rental return at the moment..

Have you looked at areas like brighton or kew?

Keeping all things equal eg building and body corp... Same apartment in each suburb which would u go

Neither - I do not personally invest in apartments or units.

With parahan just keep an eye out... With channel 10 downsizing their workforce and there has been allot of shops closing down in the area i would stay away from both parahan and st kilda.

With parahan just keep an eye out... With channel 10 downsizing their workforce and there has been allot of shops closing down in the area i would stay away from both parahan and st kilda.

Thanks but not really asking if ppl would buy apartments just the suburb of choice

Are you serious? you think that is the reason that Chapel street has a lot of empty shops because Chanel ten is laying off staff its the rent level. The steet is still busy. if you think that the workers from Channel 10 are the only ones who rent own work in Prahan and St Kilda you must never visited the area.

Tom_84 there are a lot of apartments being built across the boundary of St Kilda east (chapel street), it is worth having a look around. In St Kilda East older bigger apartments or smaller blocks will rent better. Houses are hot at the moment.

I know lots of people who live in prahran, stkilda

I have never met anyone who works for channel 10

Last edited:
Thanks but not really asking if ppl would buy apartments just the suburb of choice

Tom_84,

The reason you are not getting the responses you are probabaly looking for is that your requirement parameters are too vague/few.

Ask (yourself) what it is you are looking for. Eg Cap growth? Rental vacancies? Demographics? Median income? etc or even just ask "For those that own <whatever> in <wherever>, what were your reasons for buying there?".

Ask specifics an you will receive specifc answers.

The Y-man

Tom_84,

The reason you are not getting the responses you are probabaly looking for is that your requirement parameters are too vague/few.

Ask (yourself) what it is you are looking for. Eg Cap growth? Rental vacancies? Demographics? Median income? etc or even just ask "For those that own <whatever> in <wherever>, what were your reasons for buying there?".

Ask specifics an you will receive specifc answers.

The Y-man

Hi Y-man, thanks for your reply. Comparing the suburbs which would be peoples preference in terms of long term capital growth for a standard older style 1 or 2 bedroom apartment.

Back