Emotional/abrupt/dismissive/rude agent?

People have different personality types. He's not your friend and you didn't give a high enough offer so he ended the conversation so he can focus on other people.
This can also work to get people to raise their offer too.

Also you should edit the post to include the comment from the other thread.

Here you go Nick

You can't get a 3BR house in Lynwood for under 400k anymore. There's a block of land across the road just about to release new 3BR builds. The area is slowly coming up, with flow-on effects from neighbourhoods like Willetton and Parkwood. Pretty sure crime is still an issue, but maybe with more houses being sold and renoed, this might change in the near future.

Don't really want to extend ourselves to buying a house - higher mortgage, more interest, higher risk if no tenants. A unit seems like a good little investment option, I would have thought there's always a market for units (lower rent, no maintenance, singles/couples renting).

Also thought the market has been flat for last 6+ months, and if it's supposedly a buyers market then we could have perhaps gone in with a 5-10% discount.

Neutral/negative gearing would only look good to us if we can get it at lower than 250k, which is still a 25% increase in value from 202k, over the 6 years since 2009 is 4% growth a year.

Would have offered just under 240k but REA has already said owners wants pretty close to asking price of 260k, so if that's the case then I will just save my money and not buy.

Wow. Just wow. We missed a home open on Sunday so I organized for hubby to have a private viewing last night. REA calls me this morning and asks me what we thought. I said we were still looking at other properties, but maintained that any offer made would be under 250k.

He then said he had another fellow who also made a verbal offer of 250k, and was supposed to get back to him to see if he would raise it to 255k and then the seller might be persuaded.

So I asked if the seller had given him any written instructions not to bring offers under a certain price (had to try and interrupt his sales spiel) and the answer was no.

When I repeated that our offer wouldn't be over 250k, he then said, well, we'll just leave it at that.

I thought he was quite abrupt, dismissive and just a tad arrogant. Wouldn't want to push for a written offer if he's going to react like that. Maybe wait for a couple more months and see if he changes his tune .....

I agree with Nick. Don't take it personally. I once put in an offer over the phone and the agent yelled at me. He actually yelled! I felt like hanging up.

In the end we worked out a price and he ended up cutting more than 50% off the commission just to get the sale done. Now that is one motivated agent.

Still, if I had taken it personally, I would never have got the property I wanted at a great price. Lots of unprofessional agents around.

Sounds like he was factual and to the point .

If he has someone who's said they'll think about going over 250 and you've said you won't , who do you think he's going to talk to if the owner has indicated they want close to 260 .

I don't know what the state of the market is like where you buying . We buying in Brisbane and at the moment we're paying at asking price or slightly over and we need to move quickly .

Again , don't take it personally . If they're a bad communicator , I have no problems with that as they're going to be like that with everyone and I know I can be patient .

We bought our PPOR in Sydney in late 2013 off an agent who took a week to return a phone call . Because they were a bad agent for their vendor , we got a good deal .

Cliff

Received a text message from the agent acknowledging that our earlier conversation was "difficult" and that he was "a bit shocked at the mention of a low 240k offer but as you know I must submit all written offers..."

Are these agents' tactics or just personality?? I did react a bit initially after his phone call (not as emotionally pro as others, but will try as it's definitely good advice). So then I replied thanks for message .... must be difficult for seller as 2 units sold last year for 270/278k .... blah blah ... still looking at other options and hopefully chat soon ....

Received a text message from the agent acknowledging that our earlier conversation was "difficult" and that he was "a bit shocked at the mention of a low 240k offer but as you know I must submit all written offers..."

Are these agents' tactics or just personality?? I did react a bit initially after his phone call (not as emotionally pro as others, but will try as it's definitely good advice). So then I replied thanks for message .... must be difficult for seller as 2 units sold last year for 270/278k .... blah blah ... still looking at other options and hopefully chat soon ....

man......hope he gets some therapy

an agent, expecting $260k and an offer of $240k shocks him

send him a bunch of flowers and business card to a therapist

Back