encouragement to invest

Hi, this is about my friend.

She had to retire at 55 and with no pension but had a lump sum super. This was about 8 years ago.

She owned her own home jointly with her husband. Had to sell 2nd house [IP] to pay for her 3 children's education. Her husband continued with a low paying maintenance man type of job.

She bought 3 cheap properties: 50K flats and then a more expensive 180K apartment. She didn't qualify for substantial loans so had to pay most of her super nestegg for the properties.

She continued working part time as a private tutor. Now she's a property manager extending from managing her own properties. She has 7 properties now.

Her husband and her children particularly her oldest daughter who's an air stewardess, said disparaging things about her property investing. They've since seen the light I think!!

When she retired, the eldest daughter wanted her to buy a new car for her father which of course my friend refused which caused a bit of a ruckus. I jumped [heavily] to my friend's defence. Rather loudly I may add. If she loved her father so much, why didn't she buy her father a car? What right had she to tell her mother what to do with her retirement money?

Eight years have passed and I'm glad to report that my friend is quite comfortable financially and is quietly enjoying her property jaunts. Last year, she scraped together 100K to help her son to buy an apartment.

If you think it's hard, take a look at my friend.

KY

Hi KY,

Good story and great result.

Where did the funds come from to purchase the extra 4 properties as well as the $100K for her son ?

Hi, my childhood friend lives in Kuala Lumpur. Remember I was talking about those crummy flats in Kota Damansara? Two years ago they were selling at 60K each.

They're probably now about 80-90K and the rent would have gone up from 700 to 850 per month now I guess.

High end Kuala Lumpur properties went through the roof in the past 2 years.

Like me, my friend had super [they call it EPF in Malaysia] and she used it to buy her properties. Compared to me, I think my friend's super was far less than mine.

The important thing is we started quite late & still made it.

I'm a bit regretful that I thought it was too much trouble to buy those cheap flats in KL!!

For those who don't know, I borrowed up to my eyebrows 15 years ago & bought properties in Adelaide.

BTW, another friend's son has 1 Ip and just built a new PPOR, at barely 30.

KY

Back