End of an Era

Wow what a surprise. An end of an era.

Thanks to Ian and Jan for establishing and supporting such an incredible site. Thanks to Sim and all the moderators for keeping the site going and the forums clean from the spammy riff raff.

A big thanks to the entire community for making this site such a valuable resource. Your insights, trials and tribulations made this site the leading and most successful Australian property forum.

Thank you for sharing. May the future be bright for you all.

NNOO!! You HAVE to stay. I admit I'm not on here as regularly as I used to be but it's still nice to check in. Even if it's to see what "friends" are doing.

I couldn't stand it if the new forum had someone else with the Skater tag! :eek::eek:

See you in July!
Nobody else with have my name. I'm "over there", but it's really not the same. This is home! The other one is all strange and new......and.....well....not here! This is where I belong.

Pfft shes over on the new site already, you can help her choose a new avatar if you like :)

https://propertychat.com.au/community/threads/new-avatar-for-skater.175/

Yes, apparently I need a new avatar too, which is sad. I feel a kinship with the one that I've shared so much of my life with. :(

With SS being archived and (I assume) eventually shut down, would it not be at all viable to mass import this forum's threads over to PC, even if it's just the last 5 years or so? I always found the historical threads lingering in SS to be just as valuable as the current threads.

Or is there a desire for a truly clean slate?

Either way, I enjoyed my time on SS and if PC continues in a similar fashion then I'm sure I'll enjoy my time over there too.

Cheers,
Dave

With SS being archived and (I assume) eventually shut down, would it not be at all viable to mass import this forum's threads over to PC, even if it's just the last 5 years or so? I always found the historical threads lingering in SS to be just as valuable as the current threads.

Or is there a desire for a truly clean slate?

Either way, I enjoyed my time on SS and if PC continues in a similar fashion then I'm sure I'll enjoy my time over there too.

Cheers,
Dave

PC would get slammed for content duplication by Google's crawlers. Not worth it.

How do I post on this new site? It says "You have insufficient privileges to post here." even after I logged in. I looked at the pricing and it doesn't say anything about needing to subscribe to make basic posts?

Shame about the site finishing...sent a message to Ian Somers thanking him and Jan for a great job done in creating the best property forum in Australia, etc etc, and actually received a thank you back, so I felt quite chuffed by that. :):)

How do I post on this new site? It says "You have insufficient privileges to post here." even after I logged in. I looked at the pricing and it doesn't say anything about needing to subscribe to make basic posts?

You had better get in contact with Sim.

Wow.

Wasn't expecting to read that.

I rarely post these days but owe a lot to all of the great knowledge I have learnt here.

Thanks to Jan, Ian and all the crew.

Technically, it is relatively simple to migrate content from this site to the other.

Unfortunately, that is not an option - the content on this site belongs to Somersoft in its role as publisher (while the individual authors retain copyright over their own content).

PropertyChat does not own the rights to republish any of the material posted here.

Don't worry - Somersoft will remain around for the foreseeable future. The costs of maintaining a read-only site with no active members are minimal, so there should be no real reason we can't keep it running for a long time to come as a resource for investors.

It would be good if there was a prominent banner (or even a few redirects) over the the new site.

Just so that we lose as few people as possible.

Technically, it is relatively simple to migrate content from this site to the other.

Unfortunately, that is not an option - the content on this site belongs to Somersoft in its role as publisher (while the individual authors retain copyright over their own content).

PropertyChat does not own the rights to republish any of the material posted here.

Don't worry - Somersoft will remain around for the foreseeable future. The costs of maintaining a read-only site with no active members are minimal, so there should be no real reason we can't keep it running for a long time to come as a resource for investors.

Hi Sim.
As a read only site will it be possible to search for content such as past threads we've started or to use the search function within the sub forums?

Hi Sim.
As a read only site will it be possible to search for content such as past threads we've started or to use the search function within the sub forums?

Content will still be fully searchable.

While you won't be able to log in to see "your" threads, you should still be able to search on threads by a specific user, so find content you posted that way.

Dear Jan, Ian, the moderating team and especially all the contributors.

Over the past five years, I was an active lurker since I didn't have much to contribute.

The valuable information on this site was a significant building block in my property portfolio. It has greatly educated and prevented many mistakes with property managers, areas and financing. I almost purchased an overpriced property from a well known spruiker, thankfully the people and information on this site provided the independent opinions necessary for me to decide I shouldn't proceed with that choice. Thank you to all I've written to and spoken with.

I've registered a new username on propertychat and I look forward to reading, lurking and perhaps even providing some useful help to someone in the future.

Take care and all the best in the future.

Thanks Ian and Jan for the years of support. I commend you on the decision to allow Sim to continue the good work that you have started.

I am sure that Sim will continue his best efforts and I will fully support him in his endeavors.

Question for Sim. Are you planning to copy the picture library over to the new site. If not can we readily copy our own picture from the SS site to the new site or will it be a matter of having to load up anew?

Cheers

Thank you Jan and Ian, I learned so much from here and met some amazing people, my life would be going in different direction if I didnt discover Somersoft!!

Back