End of an Era

My heart caught in my throat when I saw the words 'end of an era'.
Thank you so much to all. I have learnt so much from all you wonderful people! I will join the new site and look forward to learning more in the future.

Thanks so much

Nobody else with have my name. I'm "over there", but it's really not the same. This is home! The other one is all strange and new......and.....well....not here! This is where I belong.

Yes, apparently I need a new avatar too, which is sad. I feel a kinship with the one that I've shared so much of my life with. :(

Same here skater. Doesn't have the same feel....too ....sterile....like a hospital.

I guess time will tell, if I will bother posting or reading.

Wow - end of an era all right !! Thanks SO much, Jan and Ian..... and of course Sim and the other Mods and Admins.

And all you numerous others with whom I have enjoyed talking, meeting, playing (Cashflow101, etc) and drinking..... (Another Jimmy Boags please). It has been fun, and also a VERY useful meeting of numerous minds.

May propertychat enjoy a similar success over time - it has big shoes to fill,

Regards,
Les

Wow - end of an era all right !! Thanks SO much, Jan and Ian..... and of course Sim and the other Mods and Admins.

And all you numerous others with whom I have enjoyed talking, meeting, playing (Cashflow101, etc) and drinking..... (Another Jimmy Boags please). It has been fun, and also a VERY useful meeting of numerous minds.

Regards,
Les
Along with all the other thanks, a big thank you to Les for having the idea in the first place.

Les, we haven't seen you for a long time. Will you pop in to the new place to say hello?

Along with all the other thanks, a big thank you to Les for having the idea in the first place.

Les, we haven't seen you for a long time. Will you pop in to the new place to say hello?

Oh Les long time no see! I well remember our meetings back in the day and those treks to the Inner West (even breaking down at one stage :D) Hope all is well with you and you'll join PropertyChat to stay in cybertouch :)

How do I post on this new site? It says "You have insufficient privileges to post here." even after I logged in. I looked at the pricing and it doesn't say anything about needing to subscribe to make basic posts?

I'm also having the same problems. I can log in but can't post or view attachments as I get the same error message "You have insufficient privileges to post here." I've emailed Sim through the support page so hopefully he can attend to it once he has time and clears the backlog.

Thanks for your time and commitment in maintaining an excellent site. It will be missed.

It is one of the few places where we could source the more realistically priced Perth PMs.

I haven't visited for a couple of days and what a shock to see this thread...
Thank you Jan, Ian, Sim and all the contributors for an invaluable resource. I've signed up on the other site but not sure if I'll be visiting as much. Call me old fashioned but I really got to like this layout.
Goodbye SS, really sad to see it go :(

Aww I almost made it to five years! (October is so far away...)

I echo everyone else in thanking Jan/Ian/Sim.

Since joining Somersoft, I went from having 1 IP with iffy finance in place to 3 of my own and 2 that I am "managing" for family. This forum has been so invaluable in steering me in better directions, so thanks to everyone who ever posted information that I've utilised to my betterment.

I've certainly tried to "give back" as much as I can but relative to all of the veterans here, I'm still learning myself!

See you guys over there :)

The end?

Hiya

I am so sad this forum is ending....it had been a useful partner on this interesting property journey of mine...a big thank you to Ian, Jan, Sim for giving us such a great platform....life changing in more ways than you can think:D

On a another note, it is quite terrifying to have to adapt to another format ...for someone "technologically challenged"....i will have to muster courage to even peep at the new forum:eek: i will need some serious hand holding:D

Wow, massive change indeed!

Many thanks to Jan, Ian and Sims for providing such a great and independent forum. It's such a great community and source of information, that has helped us a lot during our investment journey. It'll be missed and I'm sure I'll be back from time to time for information.

I hope to see most of SS-ers in the new site.

I'm also having the same problems. I can log in but can't post or view attachments as I get the same error message "You have insufficient privileges to post here." I've emailed Sim through the support page so hopefully he can attend to it once he has time and clears the backlog.

Same here, think there's a bit of a delay to get approved. A bit frustrating but we'll live.

Thanks to everyone involved for Somersoft, has been a great resource.

I just heard about the forum, have not been on for a few days ...or didn't scroll up high enough to see the neon message at the top. It is like hearing about a friends death. There are other property sites that I have stumbled across over the years (other than Propertyinvesting), have shortcuts on my desktop but have not looked at them since saving. I just stick to Somersoft. Somersoft forum is like Cheers, Mash, Friends - with laughter, tears and arguments. ;)

Thanks to everyone involved, I have learnt a lot over the last 11 years.

Regards,
Les

As for a blast from the past, a termite poking it's head out of the skirting board after the final chomp, or as Lara Bingle would say ....Les, where the bloody hell have you been? I thought you had fallen of the planet, along with a few (several) others from my early days and meetings at the pub ...them was the good old days. :D Glad to see you still around!

P.S. Sim - don't forget about the discussion on light grey print like I notice you use on the new site for who posted and the date ...for the good of my sight! :)

Last edited:
It could be the start of a new era, come up with a way to start making money from this site.

Don't give up after 16 years, you can do it!

I would like to echo sentiments expressed by others previously, thanks very much Ian and Jan for writing the books and starting the forum and to the Moderators and experienced contributors. I spent a LOT of time on this site during my years at uni and gained immensely from it. It was this site that lead me to Financial Sense which has been a massive education as well. There is so much information available that it was great to be able to be directed to some of the better sources from this site, I believe that this added a LOT of value. I found the quality of discussions and content was generally better than one of the other, more popular and successful forums in Australia.

Change is the only constant and is an opportunity for betterment and given the new site is being set up by a person so involved in this one I hope that it will be as good if not better. I hope that it is possible to charge enough for the advertising whilst keeping it helpful rather than obtrusive on the new site. I also hope that enough of the elders still get enough value from the forum to move over to the new site and continue the valuable contribution that they make.

As a final contribution, one of the best resources that I have found outside of this site (and I have read quite widely) is a guy called Daniel Amerman. I do not have any association with him and merely would like to do what others have done for me on this forum and point to good ideas/material. However, if this is percieved as advertising please remove this section.

Thanks again everyone, it has been great!

P.S. It if were possible to maintain access to old PMs (and possibly just not allow new posting?) that would be great as often they relate to something one found of particular value in the forum.

Back