End of Lease - Electricity Reading

I'm not sure if there are different rules in other states, but in Queensland, if a tenant leaves and we are not having a new tenant move straight in and/or we want to do some work there, I ring the electricity company I want to use and ask to have it put into my name from the date after the tenants are leaving. I try to give a week's notice as sometimes this takes a couple of days to commence.

I don't worry about what the outgoing tenants do. That is up to them and their electricity supplier. I only pay from when I take over the house.

In the world of deregulated electicity supply each new occupant organises their own supply. The providers have a system for reading and transfer. The former supplier will close off their old account and your account will start with the agreed reading.

Tip Photo of starting meter will avoid disputes later. Takes a few days.

As per Wylie, but I will add a few days notice and request that the meter be read before you move in. This will then tie up with the outgoing tenant's final read.

Energy Australia? generally require a call a few days out (before 12.00pm) to book a day or two ahead.

If the property is in Sydney and the meter is 10 years old or less, the supplier can digitally read the meter without attending.

Notwithstanding the above, give the supplier notice of the date that you take up occupancy in the property well in advance and there should be no problem.

Are you moving into the property or is it still for lease? If for lease old tenants responsibility to disconnect and new tenant to connect. If you are moving in regardless if old tenant disconnected all you do is contact your supplier and just tell them the day you want it to start. If its between tenants then dont do anything. These day electricity companies dont disconnect the property but leave power on. As long as you dont abuse it they are fine for small usage eg pool filter, hot water tank heating etc.;)

Are you moving into the property or is it still for lease? If for lease old tenants responsibility to disconnect and new tenant to connect. If you are moving in regardless if old tenant disconnected all you do is contact your supplier and just tell them the day you want it to start. If its between tenants then dont do anything. These day electricity companies dont disconnect the property but leave power on. As long as you dont abuse it they are fine for small usage eg pool filter, hot water tank heating etc.;)

If you are indeed going to have a few weeks between tenants (which it seems is not the case here - it seems the owner is moving in themselves), then be careful with assuming the power company will leave the power on.

In years past, the power would stay on for weeks after it was read and final account sent to the outgoing tenants, but for quite a number of years now, they have been much quicker to act on this and shut the power off, and that is why I transfer to my name if we are going to be needing power for any work we may want to do, even just for a few weeks.

We learned this the hard way.

They disconnect now and you have to have it reconnected. Rang our existing gas company to say we are shifting and would they like to better their rates. She gave me the rigmarole about they cannot quote rates if you dont have a meter. We are getting the gas put on and Red Energy quoted me without a meter in place. Finally she said she could give me the rates that apply to the whole area but we would have to ask again once the meter is installed. Sounds like a load of rubbish to me.

Back