End of lease issues

HI All,

Situation: 3 tenants on the lease gave notice at the end of lease. 2 of them have ended satisfactorily but the 3rd guy has left a heap of gear in the garage. I gave him permission to store 2 cabinets until tomorrow but nothing else. Have texted him to remind him he has broken his committment.

The 2 others are keen to get back their bond asap. After Sunday can I hire a truck and take his belongings to the dump or give them away and deduct any costs from the bond?

There is a new tenant moving in this Friday and the garage need to be clear.

That's great thanks Prop. This is our only private rental and these guys have been our only tenants since we moved out of the place 4 yrs ago so we've had a good run. Hopefully he will keep his committment and move all of the gear tomorrow.

Hi Rockstar

If they do not want it, some tenants do not actually want the stuff they left behind, then getting something in writing will give you permission to dispose of it.

just a quick text saying - hey just noticed some stuff left behind, do you intend to come and pick it up or should I dispose of it?
If they reply back with - get rid of it, then do so.

If you don't get this then you need to follow the rules of storage which is really a pain in the ......
value is also considered, if it is worth less than the cost of storage, you can just dump it. Most things are.

Back