kitchen
storeroom
sep toilet

DOWNSTAIRS
study
rumpus
small bathroom inc toilet
3 car garage.

Now the laundry was very large and I have just finished converting it to a bathroom with separate shower and bath and the laundry is now in a cupboard in this new bathroom.

The existing upstairs bathroom I was going to split in half, put in a door to the master bedroom and make it a 2 way bathroom/ensuite and WIR, but am now undecided.

Should I make it a ensuite/2 way bathroom or a 4th bedroom (2.8x3m)?

I live alone and have no need for either a 4th bedroom or 2nd upstairs bathroom, so my only focus is valuation to borrow against.

Which is better? Disregarding the downstairs bathroom and study which could count as a bedroom, am I better off with 4 bed, 1 bath or 3 bed and a bathroom + 2 way and WIR to master bedroom?

Thanks for your opinions :)

Thanks for your opinion.

Anyone got anything to add? Sixty looks and one response to a query that everyone would have an opinion on. I'm all ears for ideas. If it makes any difference, the house in is Brisbane inner east (6-7km to CBD) and worth around $650k.

I wish I quizzed the last valuer who was here.

I'm included to agree with Splade. People certainly like a 4th bedroom, but the 3 bedroom market is larger and people like ensuites more.

In certain areas this might be different, but in most cases I'd go with 3/2.

Definitetly 3/2.

If you think of a 4 bedroom property, you could potentially have 3 kids (adult kids too?) and 2 parents. 1 bathroom wouldn't have a strong appeal either as a sale or rental.

Anyone got anything to add? Sixty looks and one response to a query that everyone would have an opinion on. I'm all ears for ideas. If it makes any difference, the house in is Brisbane inner east (6-7km to CBD) and worth around $650k.

I wish I quizzed the last valuer who was here.

I put it in the "too hard" basket because it sounds like my house. Three bedrooms upstairs, one bathroom, one separate loo, two/three living areas, kitchen, laundry, pool. Downstairs has a bedroom with an ensuite, living area, tandem car accommodation full of junk so only one car fits in.

I also ponder on "do we turn the separate loo into a full bathroom (could do this fairly easily by reconfiguring the laundry where the loo is) and make the family bathroom into our ensuite (very easy to do - move a door)?".

The other thing I have pondered is to lose one of the three bedrooms upstairs and have three downstairs by moving the car accommodation to the yard. Mum always said ANY house with only two bedrooms together, either upstairs or downstairs, was always hard to sell. People want three bedrooms together. Extra bedrooms on another floor is fine, but two bedrooms up and two bedrooms down was always a deal breaker, especially for families with children.

So, perhaps many who are reading this and not replying are like me..... too confused to give advice because the problem is too close to home :).

If I was you, I would call in a local real estate agent or two and ask the question. They will know what those looking in your area (similar area as I live in by the way) are looking for.

Maybe u could pop around to a REA in the area and ask what is getting better value in your suburb and why? Although I would guess 3/2.
Just a thought....:)
JB

Thanks guys, looks like 3/2 it is. Maybe once that's done I'll do up the downstairs study and bathroom and present it like a bedroom, ie remove all the JUNK :) Then I can claim it is a 4bed/3bath. The last valuer here called the downstairs room a 'workshop' because it is crammed with tools and machines.:eek:

Wylie, from what I have read in some of your other posts, I'd guess that we live very nearby :)

I'm not a valuer, but a buyers' agent who views property on a very regular basis :D so feel somewhat qualified to pass comment here...

It's hard to pass an opinion without a house plan or knowing what the area you're in is like (families dominant buyers?) but, given that you already have a bathroom downstairs I'd be adding the ensuite upstairs, and making the study downstairs a bedroom. That way you can call it a 4x3 which sounds a lot more appealing when you do sell :)
Perhaps if the study isn't large enough, consider incorporating part of the rumpus. Guest or in law accommodation on a separate floor can be a big drawcard to families. Happy renovating!

Thanks for the input guys, looks like I have an ensuite to build now!

There is another minor detail I'd like opinions on.
Which would you prefer, a 2 way ensuite/bathroom, or an ensuite that is exclusive to the bedroom, and would result in a slightly larger WIR also.

Proximity to the other bathroom is not a deciding factor, as its only 4m up the hallway.

Thanks again.

There is another minor detail I'd like opinions on.
Which would you prefer, a 2 way ensuite/bathroom, or an ensuite that is exclusive to the bedroom, and would result in a slightly larger WIR also.

Proximity to the other bathroom is not a deciding factor, as its only 4m up the hallway.
It's only 4m to the other bathroom! Exclusive ensuite with bigger WIR for sure imo. :)

3 bed + ensuite.

More bedrooms are only appealing if there are enough bathrooms to go around. No one likes waiting for someone to finish the bathroom (especially in the morning when people are trying to get to work/school).

Thanks for your input guys. Some clear cut opinions there.
I thought a 2 way was a good idea, but I'll have to rethink to please the masses :)

Based on our own research and experience, I agree with Jacque. If you speak to bank valuers - bedrooms are considered 'worth more' then bathrooms. But ideally you want to be able to add both, because once you have 4 bedrooms, the type of consumer that that property is going to appeal to is going to expect 2 bathrooms. If the upstairs is a bathroom then maybe the study downstairs can be considered another bedroom??

Wishing you every success,
Ana Stankovic

Back