Escalating strata problems

Folks, I’m after a bit of strata advice. One of my QLD IPs which is on the top floor of a building (probably 30 years old) has had continued problems with leakage from the roof. The leakage has damaged the plaster on the ceilings, introduced mould and even filled a light fixture with water. The PM has done their best to bring this to the attention of the strata managers but the responses have either not been forthcoming or have consisted of “claim it on insurance”. Obviously this is not satisfactory as internal repairs will only be damaged again by the water which is coming from externally.

I’ve not yet made contract with the strata managers but I want to put something very curt and very direct to them now that I need to get involved. So here’s the question; what legislation or governing bodies covers QLD strata managers? What is the appropriate avenue for escalating an issue like this? I don’t want to make empty threats but I do want to make it clear I have no tolerance for this sort of behaviour and use the full force of all available legal options to get it resolved immediately.

Thanks everyone.

I’ve not yet made contract with the strata managers

The fact that the "PM has done their best to bring it to the attention of the strata managers" is not sufficient information. What action have they actually taken? Phone call? Written details? Quotes?

Surely the first step is for YOU to write to the body corporate setting out the problem in detail. Don't leave it to anyone else - as a unit owner you are the correct person to lodge the issue with the BC.

And at a first contact from you I would suggest you go easy on the "curt" option.

Threatening legal action should be seen as a last resort after you have exhausted all other avenues.
Marg

Thanks Marg, communication from PM to strata has been through multiple verbal and written approaches. I’m satisfied the PM has done what they’re employed to do and represented my position. As for quotes, this is common property and strata is paid to manage it; I don’t believe (and please feel free to disagree), that it’s my responsibility or my PM’s to act on behalf of the strata. Certainly though I do agree with the other advice re not being too curt at this stage so will take a few deep breaths before sending!

. As for quotes, this is common property and strata is paid to manage it; I don’t believe (and please feel free to disagree), that it’s my responsibility or my PM’s to act on behalf of the strata.

Rememebr that the strata manager is only a representative of you and the other owners.

If the other owners are not interested in fixing the leak (because it doesn't affect them ....yet...), then unfortuantely you may be up for it. Having said that, I am confident that every strata manager I have would have gotten a quote to repair and a buidling insurance claim underway by this stage.

Just be cautious too as the starta manager may not be able to respond to your PM (and most definitely not your tenant) and may require to talk with you directly to confirm etc.

The Y-man

Building insurance won't cover repair for your typical wear & tear.. I think it's expected the flashing would need replacing for 30yr old building. The repair should be covered by the sinking fund, as it's general upkeep of a common area.

This is typical wording from an insurance policy.

damage, for coverage under insurance required to be put in place under this part, means -
(a) earthquake, explosion, fire, lightning, storm, tempest and water damage; and
(b) glass breakage; and
(c) damage from impact, malicious act, and riot.

Back