Essendon to Albert Park. Question to Melbournites

Ok, so I'm going down (from Sydney) to Melbourne next month for the Grand Prix, and it has nothing to do with the fact that KISS are there (yeah, right :rolleyes:).

Anyway, have booked accommodation at Essendon which I thought was fairly close to the city. Now, I'm told that it's a 'fair way out' (doesn't look too far in the UBD that I have).

Trying to find out approx how long by public transport it will take to get to one of the main spots that links up with the GP trams.

Also, is it better to get bus or tram to the GP links?

Thanks.

Regards
Marty
Marty

Marty

The train from Essendon to the CBD is fast, maybe 15 minutes, then there are plenty of free trams and buses to take you to the GP. It is very well organised, as you get off the train there are marshalls in bright coloured jackets directing you.

You won't have a problem. Just have fun

Chris

Essendon is about as far to the north of the CBD as the Grand Prix is south of it.

Both are close to the CBD, but you will have to travel pretty much through the CBD to get to the track from Essendon.

From my memory, and as Chris said, there are trains and trams that will get you there, but expect it to take a while as you'll need to change trains or trams most likely.

Here is the link to Metlink, for the timetables etc;
http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/

kissfan,

Catch a train from Essendon to Southern Cross station then hop a tram right outside the station on Spencer Street to the GP.

Mark

kissfan,

Catch a train from Essendon to Southern Cross station then hop a tram right outside the station on Spencer Street to the GP.

Mark
Thanks Mark.

After checking out the links that were posted above, that's the way I was thinking anyway.

Thanks again.

Regards
Marty

Marty

The alternative is to go to Flinders Street and catch the train in Swanston Street, on Princes Bridge, right outside the station, straight down to the GP, thats the way I have always gone and its been very straightforward.

How long are you here and what else do you have planned while you are down here??

Chris

How long are you here and what else do you have planned while you are down here??
Hi Chris.

Only there for 3 days which I anticipated spending most of at the GP.

My wife has other ideas though. You know, the Melbourne coffee scene, shopping etc.

Was also hoping to have a glimpse at IP in Carrum Downs, although I don't think time will permit for that one this time round.

Basically, just a very quick trip to catch the GP and the closing act ;).

Regards
Marty

Just thought I'd report back for anyone interested that the KISS concert was awesome. Apparently there was also a Grand Prix taking place.

Regards
Marty

I caught some of their (Kiss) show (replay highlights) on TV...rock and turn it up loud.

Just fantastic, I gotta say how much I admire them for their passion and love of their music and just fun...they really get you into it.

Physically, they look really good too..

I read this interview with Paul Stanley, he kinda sums it up a little:

"What keeps us going is we like what we're doing. We don't do it for any other reason. We want to make music. We like what we do. The idea of being the band that sells the most records or this month's "Band of the Month" is not really what's appealing to us. We got where we got, just by staying true to what we do. "

From this net article:

http://www.classicbands.com/PaulStanleyInterview.html

What's got me stuffed Marty is how their make up stays on, Sunday was sizzling, how on earth does that show paint stay on?

rock and turn it up loud.

Just fantastic, I gotta say how much I admire them for their passion and love of their music and just fun...they really get you into it.

Physically, they look really good too..

What's got me stuffed Marty is how their make up stays on, Sunday was sizzling, how on earth does that show paint stay on?
Hi OO.

Yeah, I suppose they look good for their age, still rock hard too. Just goes to show the benefits of NOT taking drugs or drinking alcohol (in Gene Simmons' case anyway)

Re the makeup, maybe they know a few secrets.......or can just afford the best on the market, lol.

As you said, it was sizzling on Sunday, I ought to know, I was standing in it (the sun) all day. Secured myself a front row (right at the barrier) position though so it was well worth it. Managed to snag one of Eric Singers drumsticks too, so that really made my night.

Going to see them again here in Sydney tomorrow night. Really looking forward to that one too.

Regards
Marty

Back